Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Minimum wage question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I started a new job today. When my contract was put in front of me i started reading it, obviously. Near the top it explained how much i am payed and it reads " Your hourly refernce pay will be £4.87 " which isnt the minimum wage. So i asked the new boss, saying it must be an error to which he replied saying that it was not an error and that they do not pay the minimum wage because/or related to the commission the sales staff earn. He did mention something about if someone earned below a level then their pay would be topped up. Ive heard of this before but basically know nothing about it ?

I dont know what the law says on this but i assumed that by " minimum wage " it didnt matter about anything else, you must be payed just that " the minimum wage "

Anyone know what the deal is here and wether or not he is right, or wrong and they should be paying minimum wage?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Same advice as always, ring ACAS- the independent employment rights and mediation service- and ask them. They are the professionals, not us.

Though I had a look on the ACAS website and they have the following to say:
    ACAS wrote:
    If you want to check whether the pay you get is in line with the national minimum wage, not all the money you receive each week or month will count. Broadly, while incentives, bonuses and performance-related pay do count as pay for the purposes of the national minimum wage, allowances such as regional allowances which are not consolidated into your basic pay do not count. Neither does any extra money above basic rates that you receive for working overtime or shifts.
    Cheers for that Kermit :)
    I have a question for you real quick: what is this job exactly?

and then a little advice, get a planner and write everything down!!!!!!

C.Y.A! :p