Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Most 'PC gone mad' stories are crap but...

Hull council have produced a list of words which should not be used because they have insulting or offensive meanings.

They include the words 'lady', 'ethnic' and 'elderly'.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,24390-1838382,00.html

http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=55&ArticleID=1224987

This really is playing into the hands of the Mail isnt it.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It truly is PC gone maaaaaad.

It's very unfortunate. I happen to think PC is a big problem, because it dehumanises and defines someone by the term they try and avoid.

But the Mail think PC means being made to call "thsoe filthy wogs" by another name.
    Someone I used to work with said calling women ladies was "demeaning".

As Americans like to say, go figure... :rolleyes:
    The whole thing is so bloody patronising, its assuming we are all pathetic and fragile and liable to burst into tears at any small remark.
    I was in a meeting once where someone complained about the use 'of my right hand' (assitant) as it could be degotorary to 'left handed people'. To be fair they were slapped down by the senior person present.
    It's tempting to laugh or roll your eyes at the stupidity of political correctness but it is a lot more sinister then most people realise. It's an ideology invented to change the public conscience slowly but surely by stealth. Rather like the way carols and hymns were replaced by nursery rhymes. It's not PC to sing say, Good King Wenceslas because it's 'non inclusive' to Muslims. Instead we must all sing:

"The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, the wheels on the bus go round and round, all day long."
    No, I think that just has a lot more to do with the shrinking Christian population in the UK.
    ....so the other day I was walking down the street and on the sidewalk accross from me I saw a fat, elderly, ethnic, lady...
    bongbudda wrote:
    The whole thing is so bloody patronising, its assuming we are all pathetic and fragile and liable to burst into tears at any small remark.
    :yes:

It's patronising if anything.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    The world does seem to have gone PC mad. At uni we were told we couldn't use the term "brainstorming" as it is offensive to people with epilepsy :|

Just craziness.
    I guess "jap's eye" is out of the question then...

Just kidding folks ;)
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I feel like a racist for calling a black person black. Political Correctness is bollocks.
    doesnt anyone think that someone might actually be sitting in a council office laughing, cause its a made up story gone far too wrong?

not too much of a far fetched idea
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    I feel like a racist for calling a black person black. Political Correctness is bollocks.

Yup.

So, we can't speak to other people now for fear of offending them.

Fuck all you fat, ethnic, elderly, disabled people. Im off to mow you down in Carmageddon and REALLY piss off the mail.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yup.

Fuck all you fat, ethnic, elderly, disabled people. Im off to mow you down in Carmageddon and REALLY piss off the mail.

technically if you are taking the piss by using the correct terminology for once, it should be impaired and not disabled
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yup.

Surely you mean

'Sexually intercourse away you people who do not conform to the Western ideal of bodily weight, who belong to a black or minority ethnic group, are now in the full flush of your second youth and impaired.'
    id use it more for christs sake in general usage, just to see if it really matters

some women dont like being called ladies, id (badly) understand it, but for it to be a genral rule, stupid!
    I'm not sure, a word like ethnic for example, was originally sort of meant to be a 'good' replacement...as in ethnic cleansing (for me i find this term far far worse than genocide or mass murder..but anyway), but certainly i would think ethnic has a bad meaning now.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    NQA wrote:
    Surely you mean

'Sexually intercourse away you people who do not conform to the Western ideal of bodily weight, who belong to a black or minority ethnic group, are now in the full flush of your second youth and impaired.'

Yes. :P Thanks for that.
    Honestly?

I love being called a 'lady' rather than a woman... I mean it can have a charm to it. I think it's insulting that somebody even assumes the way I think and what will offend me because I have ovaries.
    To be honest he had some pretty bizarre concepts of life sometimes... according to him 'lady' (and indeed 'gentleman') were historically associated with middle and upper classes, and any right-thinking working class person would be offended to be called that.

Or some shit like that anyway. :rolleyes:
    Aladdin wrote:
    To be honest he had some pretty bizarre concepts of life sometimes... according to him 'lady' (and indeed 'gentleman') were historically associated with middle and upper classes, and any right-thinking working class person would be offended to be called that.

Or some shit like that anyway. :rolleyes:
    The term 'lady' is paralleled with Lord sure, but meanings change over time. Lookat the word "gay" for example.

To assume a woman does not want to be called a 'lady' is to assume one knows the inner workings of a woman's mind without taking in to consideration the idea that she could be a free thinking peson who likes the term.
    some women dont like being called ladies

That's true, but it should stop those of us brought up to be gentlemen from continuing to act like it.

Root
    Rather like the way carols and hymns were replaced by nursery rhymes. It's not PC to sing say, Good King Wenceslas because it's 'non inclusive' to Muslims.

Bullshit.

Perhaps you need to stop reading shite mate, because that it just not true. In fact, if you want proof, then head towards any Carol Concert later in the year.
    Dr Pirate wrote:

That's your problem then, no one elses.