Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Blair's speaking tour to be investigated

The charity dinner that Cherie Blair spoke at in Australia is to be investigated after auditors uncovered the fact that less than 10% of the proceeds actually went to the charity.

Of the £81,700 raised by the dinner, £74,900 of it went to pay for the speakers who attended, and the other costs of the dinner. Less than £7,000 was actually handed over to the charity for it to be used on researching children's cancer.

I think for once I agree with the Tories- Blair, just like her thieving and corrupt husband, have brought shame on the office of Prime Minister. Both Blairs should be languishing in prison for the rest of their lives for the thefts they have committed. But like that will ever happen.

Anyone who votes for these scum should feel ashamed of themselves. Anyone who voted New Labour should get down on their knees and apologise to the rest of us.

Story.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I did in 2001. I apologise.
  • Options
    They are just following the examples in unindicted rampant criminality set for them by their taskmasters in Washington, Kermy. Whither the dog goeth so followeth the tail! ;)
  • Options
    i voted this year for libdems, i have alcohol in my hands, much like charles kennedy *thumbs up*

needless to say the lib dem who stood in my area dont even live here - registered address is brighton
  • Options
    I can't vote :p
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I can't vote :p
    Phew. Johnny foreigners shouldn't be allowed such rights. :p
  • Options
    it's doubtful i'll ever vote again.
  • Options
    "thieving and corrupt"

Isn't that one of the entrance criteria in entering the House of Commons?
  • Options
    Apparently other charity talks she did while there did raise a lot more for the charity in question.

(God, I cant believe I am defending her)
  • Options
    I voted for the Tories so dont blame me.
  • Options
    To be fair to Cherie she charges a price and it is up to the Charity to decide whether to pay it and whether they can make 'profit' from the event.

Its sounds like incompetence on their part, rather than hers.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    To be fair to Cherie she charges a price and it is up to the Charity to decide whether to pay it and whether they can make 'profit' from the event.

But there is something a little unsavoury about charging to speak at a charity event though.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

How odious is that though- making money from doing charity work.

Symptomatic of the entire Blair family, I feel.
  • Options
    But plenty of others make money through it. There are professional fund raisers for many charities and charities often pay speakers.
  • Options
    Many if not most senior politicians/statemen go on to become 'professional' after-dinner speakers when they get out of office. Often such dinners raise money for a number of causes, not just party fundraising, and the speakers still make very tidy sums from it.

The likes of Bill Clinton and Maggie (and you can bet your bottom dollar, Tony Blair when he finally pisses off) have made rather tasty amounts of money from such events.

Still doesn't make it right though.