Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

no smoking downt pub.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hunting foxes don't make you look hard, it makes you look like a cunt. :p
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    With the ridiculous price of cigarettes in this country, this debate is useless - it's way too expensive to smoke in this country in the first place.
    I'd suggest either black market fags or a day trip to any destination in Greece, Spain or Portugal. Even at the airport fags will cost less than half what they are here, and with return tickets with Easyjet and Ryanair as cheap as £30 return, you only need to buy 2 cartons to recoup the price of the ticket.
  • Options
    They are pricey but somehow people always find money for them.

They say that in a recession publicans do alright - cos people always want to buy alcohol even when the outlook is bleak (or maybe especially when the outlook is bleak). Same idea.
  • Options
    loads of places are full of asbestos ...it's not a banned substance you know.

in fact i have people working for me removing the stuff.
    Would you remove asbestos without a protective face mask?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Would you remove asbestos without a protective face mask?
    no ya awkward git!
    and if i was a non smoker i wouldn't dream of going for a jar at the ashtray arms ...i'd go to a non smoking pub!

but the fucking point is ...

if i want to open a smoking pub i should be allowed to!
  • Options
    if i want to open a smoking pub i should be allowed to!
    I don't disagree, but there should be a financial incentive for pubs to go smoke-free lest they complain about the loss of trade from smokers.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Hunting foxes don't make you look hard, it makes you look like a cunt. :p

Fox hunting rules. And it keeps the little vermin in check in a fun and physically-demanding manner.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I don't disagree, but there should be a financial incentive for pubs to go smoke-free lest they complain about the loss of trade from smokers.
    how about we give them subsidies ...for every smoker they're kind to they get a fiver?
  • Options
    Free drinks for non-smokers?
  • Options
    i'm just a bit bemused that in the modern world the people themselves haven't gotten off their arses and changed things. think i'll open a chain of non smoking pubs ...
    it's no wonder our liberties are being taken away ...we've never bothered showing that we can actualy use them ...actualy think for ourselves ...noooo thats to difficult.

most people it would seem prefer everything to be legislated for or against.

we're so free and clever we have become fucking useless ...handing over the decision making about every aspect of our lives to a handful of people we don't like don't trust and wouldn't want our daughters to marry.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    now yer talking!
  • Options
    we're so free and clever we have become fucking useless ...handing over the decision making about every aspect of our lives to a handful of people we don't like don't trust and wouldn't want our daughters to marry.
    A valid observation, but I think a lot of people would like smoke-free nights out these days. Smoking is becoming very unfashionable.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Kentish wrote:
    Yeah, but how would someone prove that? If you go in there, spend a few minutes drinking something for free and left it wouldn't mean you're not a smoker. The owner would need to see an x-ray of your lungs, and you'd also have to prove it's yours and recent.
    And even then, someone could have stopped smoking for years and it still would seem (s)he was, since it takes 15 years for your body to go back to normal.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Yeah, but how would someone prove that? If you go in there, spend a few minutes drinking something for free and left it wouldn't mean you're not a smoker. The owner would need to see an x-ray of your lungs, and you'd also have to prove it's yours and recent.
    And even then, someone could have stopped smoking for years and it still would seem (s)he was, since it takes 15 years for your body to go back to normal.
    I wasn't being entirely serious ;)

But at some places designated drivers get free soft drinks with every round bought.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    A valid observation, but I think a lot of people would like smoke-free nights out these days. Smoking is becoming very unfashionable.
    so have non smoking fucking pubs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as long as i can have smoking ones ...you love going in circles.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Kentish wrote:
    I wasn't being entirely serious ;)
    I know, I like explaining why a joke could never be real. ;)
  • Options
    as long as i can have smoking ones
    Calm down dear, it's only legislation.

Looks like Wales will get it before England anyway. Will people be crossing the border for a pint and a puff?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Calm down dear, it's only legislation.

Looks like Wales will get it before England anyway. Will people be crossing the border for a pint and a puff?
    if i'm not misten wales has the highest popultion of cancer riddled smokers so there will be blood in the valleys if thats the case.

what i would like to see ...is choice.
    on one side of the street you see a pub which has a sign sying this is a no smoking establishment.
    on the other side of the street is a pub with a sign saying ...this place fucking stinks.
    then we could CHOOOOSE.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    And down at the AA meeting, free fags for non-drinkers :)
  • Options
    In 2 of my 3 locals (1 of which i work in), all serve food and all would never become non smoking. One especially, if a government official walked in and told the landlord to stop allowing smokers through the door they would probably be thrown back out through it. Sad, but thats how it is.

The smoking argument has been going on for ages. I smoke presently, but even when i've quit for months on end i support smoking in pubs, simply because of the way it is. I would probably be laughed out of the place if i advised a mcdonalds employee to serve everyone food without fat [Yes, i know theres no such thing as "Passive fattening"]. The British pub is one of Britain's institutions.

I would however settle for pubs that serve food to have smoking and non-smoking sections , rather than a blanket ban on smokers. Sending all smokers outside gives drink-spikers and twisted doormen a whale of a time.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And down at the AA meeting, free fags for non-drinkers :)
    Free racing tips at the methadone clinic?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Free racing tips at the methadone clinic?
    instead of having a fag at the bar ...get a free shot of methadone ...it tastes very nice you know.
  • Options
    This topic always runs to a few pages, doesn't it?

I'm expecting crescendo to turn up any minute.

I repeat what I have always said, as a smoker I want to retin the right to smoke in pubs. Not all, just some. I always thought it was a happy compromise...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'd suggest either black market fags or a day trip to any destination in Greece, Spain or Portugal. Even at the airport fags will cost less than half what they are here, and with return tickets with Easyjet and Ryanair as cheap as £30 return, you only need to buy 2 cartons to recoup the price of the ticket.

So far we've survived on what we brought here ourselves - friends and family sending some over - as well as friends of friends here who have come to visit from abroad with duty free cigarettes.
    But yeah, might as well get cigarettes cheaply by travelling the same time. Two things in one go I suppose.
  • Options
    The non-smoking bar that opened up next to the one i used to work in went bust within a couple of months.
  • Options
    I repeat what I have always said, as a smoker I want to retin the right to smoke in pubs. Not all, just some. I always thought it was a happy compromise...

Yes of course you want to, but should you be allowed to?

As far as I can see everyone against the ban is a smoker, whereas I know there are smokers who support the ban becasue it will help them quit, rather telling I think.......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Yes of course you want to, but should you be allowed to?

As far as I can see everyone against the ban is a smoker, whereas I know there are smokers who support the ban becasue it will help them quit, rather telling I think.......

Not quite true. I'm a an ex-smoker and it would certainly help ease my pangs for tobacco if pubs were smoke free. But I'm against the ban because people's liberty to do things, even things which are bad for them, are more important.

Mind you as a side note one of the effects of the ban is that middle-class pubs where food is a major part of their income will stop smoking. Working class pubs where food is much less important will probably stop serving food.
  • Options
    Fox hunting rules. And it keeps the little vermin in check in a fun and physically-demanding manner.

See what I mean?
  • Options
    I'm also a non-smoker and I'm against a total ban.
  • Options
    OK I was a bit wrong on that.....

:blush: