Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

no smoking downt pub.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No it's not too much ask to ask MR. It makes sense.
    ALL I WANT IS FOR THE FUCKING LANDLORDS AND THE PUBLIC TO HAVE THE CHOICE...not some fucking government busybody ...is that to much to ask in this day and age ...or was that a stupid question?

yes as long as if they allow smokers they have to have some form of ventilation
    Aladdin you seem a little inconsistent.

You are very quick to have a go at corporations etc when their actions infringe on workers rights etc

Yet you seem hostile to a measure that will support workers rights by guaranteeing those who work in pubs/clubs/restaurants etc a healthier environment to work in.

Workers rights should be the only justification anyone needs to support a ban on smoking........
    Toadborg wrote:
    Workers rights should be the only justification anyone needs to support a ban on smoking........
    choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if one of the pubs on the high street wants to be a grotty nicotine stained dive ...then a none smoker won't go in there ...and wouldn't dream of applying for a job there.

it's very simple ...let the public and the landlords make these decisions.
    or has all decision making now been removed from the general public?
    or has all decision making now been removed from the general public?

Welcome to New Britain.
    That is bollocks, you as well are being inconsistent, I am fairly sure you have supported workers rights, shown left-wing tendencies etc.

To say that wokers have a free choice in where the work is simply wrong
    Toadborg wrote:
    Aladdin you seem a little inconsistent.

You are very quick to have a go at corporations etc when their actions infringe on workers rights etc

Yet you seem hostile to a measure that will support workers rights by guaranteeing those who work in pubs/clubs/restaurants etc a healthier environment to work in.

Surely your beloved market can provide for everyone on this?
    Toadborg wrote:

Careful, that's a dangerously Marxist pov :p
    Toadborg wrote:
    That is bollocks, you as well are being inconsistent, I am fairly sure you have supported workers rights, shown left-wing tendencies etc.

i'm not sure where you think your coming from here.
    no one has total freedom as to where they work and never will.

my wife ...would never dream of working in a strip joint ...she thinks they are sleazy ...so she wouldn't go for the interview.
    you ...may well not be cut out for bricklaying or book keeping.

if you wish to work in a food none smoking pub ...fine ...if you don't wish to work in one of my favourite pubs in the land ...full of farmers and labourers who make pigs smell sweet ...then don't apply.
    i'm not going to apply to be a brain surgeon now am i?
    even though i have the right.

if a smelly smokers pub ...start finding it hard to find staff and customers ...guess what happens next?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Surely your beloved market can provide for everyone on this?

:rolleyes:

Blagsta wrote:
    Careful, that's a dangerously Marxist pov

You agree then, it seems you haven't in the past?
    i'm not sure where you think your coming from here.
    no one has total freedom as to where they work and never will.

my wife ...would never dream of working in a strip joint ...she thinks they are sleazy ...so she wouldn't go for the interview.
    you ...may well not be cut out for bricklaying or book keeping.

if you wish to work in a food none smoking pub ...fine ...if you don't wish to work in one of my favourite pubs in the land ...full of farmers and labourers who make pigs smell sweet ...then don't apply.
    i'm not going to apply to be a brain surgeon now am i?
    even though i have the right.

if a smelly smokers pub ...start finding it hard to find staff and customers ...guess what happens next?

Not being qualified is a completely different issue and it should not be left until a pub is forced to do so, that is the whole point of introducing legislation.

No not evryone can get their ideal job, but why not make it easier for the many people that work in that industry?

Do you think that coalminers should be compensated for lung damage?
    Toadborg wrote:
    :rolleyes:

You agree then, it seems you haven't in the past?

I agree with what? That people don't always have a choice in where they work?
    Toadborg wrote:
    it should not be left until a pub is forced to do so, that is the whole point of introducing legislation.

No not evryone can get their ideal job, but why not make it easier for the many people that work in that industry?

Do you think that coalminers should be compensated for lung damage?
    introduce legislation by all means ...stating that if theres food or kids around ...no smoking ...perfectly reasonable and understandable.
    but if an establishment wants no kids no foods and smoking ...then they should be left to make that business choice themselves.

yes i do think miners should be compensated.

left wing by the way ...when i was younger ...now ...disilusioned and just invested a lot of money ...where people are employed in waste management and control ...for the workers there are health risks.
    unless the place doesn't serve food.

sounds like a great idea to me ...the return of the traditional pub!

Not up in jockland though :(

With imcompetant buffoons of the lowest political calabre such as Jack McConnel running our aesthetically grotesque parliament it's no wonder really. Textbook knee-jerk reaction to the "unhealthiest nation in europe" tag.

I've heard that there are loopholes of sorts which we can exploit up here - there's apparently a boozer in stirling which is planning to open up a separate room which is detached from the pub as a communal smoking area. Without alcohol being sold, it apparently will be legal.
    If pubs were properly conditioned and if new air filtration systems were installed (and incidentally there is technology out there that would even allow smokers smoke in the same room as non-smokers, by the means of hi-tech fans installed on tables) then the risk to workers would be next to nil. Ditto if smokers rooms were installed.

And if all-smoking pubs were created workers can still choose to work in them- or if they are concerned about their health they can work in non-smoking pubs.
    Whilst nobody can dispute that smoking is harmful the dangers of passive smoking are in fact debatable. Anyway lets say passive smoking is really bad - if smokers can't enjoy a beer and a cigarette in the pub it seems quite logical that they might stay at home instead where they can enjoy a drink and smoke without being subject to the rules of pathetic busybodies with nothing better to do. What about the kids at home? Surely it's better for children if their parents are smoking at the pub than in the living room? At least people who go to the pub have a choice - children at home don't.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Balconies.
    Sub zero temperatures.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Best be quick then. Surely the sub-zero temprature for a couple of minutes is less harmful to them than the smoke is for their kids.
    ALL I WANT IS FOR THE FUCKING LANDLORDS AND THE PUBLIC TO HAVE THE CHOICE

That's all any of us wants.

But when 80% of the population are being held to ransom by a tiny minority of people, then that is not giving the public the choice.

But as landlords can't afford to turn away 10-20% of their custom, the market will not provide for what most people want.

About 75% of people are in favour of the smoking ban. That, in the most base terms, is giving the public the choice.
    But the market is self-regulating is it not? Believe me, if 80% of the people are non smokers and favour a ban on smoking, I'll be opening a non-smoking pub myself! Can't think of many businesses with a brighter prospect...
    Kermit wrote:
    That's all any of us wants.

But when 80% of the population are being held to ransom by a tiny minority of people, then that is not giving the public the choice.

But as landlords can't afford to turn away 10-20% of their custom, the market will not provide for what most people want.

About 75% of people are in favour of the smoking ban. That, in the most base terms, is giving the public the choice.
    I THINK YOUR MISSING MY POINT.
    IF I WISH TO OPEN A PUB THAT SELLS NO FOOD DOESN'T ALLOW KIDS AND IS PURELY FOR DRINKING AND SMOKING ...opps caps ...then that is MY business decision. why shouldn't i be allowed to make that decision?
    if 80% of the population don't wish to work or drink there ...thats their choice.
    Precisely. Live and let live (or die and let die, as the case might be ;):D )
    Aladdin wrote:
    Precisely. Live and let live (or die and let die, as the case might be ;):D )
    i could call it the ashtray arms ...

off to the ash for a beer mate? sounds perfectly ok to me.
    I THINK YOUR MISSING MY POINT.
    IF I WISH TO OPEN A PUB THAT SELLS NO FOOD DOESN'T ALLOW KIDS AND IS PURELY FOR DRINKING AND SMOKING ...opps caps ...then that is MY business decision. why shouldn't i be allowed to make that decision?
    if 80% of the population don't wish to work or drink there ...thats their choice.
    Because your bar staff would be at risk of passive smoking (there is actually good evidence of a slight danger from passive smoking, particular in an enclosed environment, or in centrally heated homes where every draught is excluded.).

Should you be allowed to run a shipyard using asbestos if people were willing to work there?
    You can have a smoking pub. OR you should be able to.

You have a separate smoking room which you don't have to go through to get to the bar or the lavs. That's fine, everyone is happy.

I can have my beer and breathe and have a good night- you can have your beer, give yourself cancer and have a good night. Problem solved.

Most pubs won't become non-smoking, because there aren't many businesses who can afford to boot 15% of the clients out of the door.
    Kentish wrote:
    Because your bar staff would be at risk of passive smoking (there is actually good evidence of a slight danger from passive smoking, particular in an enclosed environment, or in centrally heated homes where every draught is excluded.).

Should you be allowed to run a shipyard using asbestos if people were willing to work there?
    there is no shortage at this moment in time of smoking bar staff.

loads of places are full of asbestos ...it's not a banned substance you know.

in fact i have people working for me removing the stuff.
    With the ridiculous price of cigarettes in this country, this debate is useless - it's way too expensive to smoke in this country in the first place.
    black market innit