Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Views on violence in film (Natural Born Killers)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hello!

I am currently in my third year of a BA film production course and this is the dreaded DISSERTATION time. My title is "Does Oliver Stone's film Natural Born Killers have the capabillity to create a killer in its audience?"
This is based on the eight murders that have said to have been influenced by the film.

If you have seen the film, it would be fantastic if you could answer and give your views on the following: (You don't have to answer all these are just to get you talking!)

Did you think the main character Mickey and Mallory were cool?
Did you think that the satirical purpose of the film was over shadowed by the violence?
If you are woman: How did you feel towards Mallory and also Mickey?
If you are a man: " "
Hoe did you feel after the movie? Did you feel energised or deplited?

If you have not seen the film (aswell as people who have):

Do you feel that films can be too violent?
Do you enjoy violent films?

When answering please can you just state your age and gender. Don't worry if you don't want to

Thank you for your time!!

-Pepper
xx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I have , thats all and I have emailed a mod to ask if it is ok.
  • Options
    yes
    Did you think that the satirical purpose of the film was over shadowed by the violence?
    no
    If you are woman: How did you feel towards Mallory and also Mickey?
    w00t?
    If you are a man: " "
    They are cool guys, aren't they?
    What about normal?

yes
    yes
  • Options
    woah, i believe you've already posted this... everywhere. And GWST already said something about it. There is no need to be pushy with it, it will still get answered if you post it in only one place. More likely in fact, as people won't be so annoyed with seeing it everywhere.
  • Options
    Okay, I've merged the threads into one and left it in entertainment, which seems the best place. In future in might be best to read registration rules and ask permission before posting...

Anyway - on to the answers

Depends which version - the reinstated rape scene goes a long way to colour the character of Mickey.

Nope, it was clearly satire and only as violent as many other action films and considerably less sexually violent than much of the output in the 70s. The use of the comedy shots, cartoon sequences, sit-com piss take only reinforced the sense of satire.

If you are a man how did you feel towards Mallory and also Mickey?
    I felt they were the traditional cyphers, without much of a real personality between them.

(might want to watch your spelling on the final dissertation ;) )
    Somewhat energised but mainly disappointed that the days of Talk Radio and Salvador were a long time passed.

I think the intention of a film maker can be something that should be challenged, I think films have been horrendously violent (from the horse killing in October to rape in Clockwork Orange, Salo) and this can be justified by the end product. I also think there are films without merit (Last House on the Left) that use sexual violence in a way that feels neither positive nor justified.

However as adults, watching a film made for adults by other adults I'd question the need for censorship as opposed to the need for certification - something that becomes increasingly difficult in the modern environment.

Some absolutely, some not at all. There is a massive difference between films that are violent - just look at Green Street, ID and The Firm, all are violent but to catagorise them as the same seems simplistic.

30, male.
  • Options
    hmmm kinda
    no i really dont, i think in the way they are characatured and also the way in which the story is shot points heavy towards the satirism, true some people may not understand the satirical purposes to some of the scenes.

How did you feel after the movie? Did you feel energised or deplited?
    first time i was quite impressed, ive never been a fan of stone that much, but i thought this was a cracking movie, altho i did see it the first time on its reputation

i think that censoring films is bad in this day and age, people should have the choice to view what ever they want, i have yet to see a film that i thought was too violence, altough some films have come close (eg. last house on the left, i spit on your grave etc..)

i enjoy films, not just because they are violent.

Male, 22
  • Options
    Yes, they were. I know it probably demonstrates some kind of deep seated psychological defect to be impressed by murderers but i was and i am. lol

Not at all. I think that if you missed the satire of the film, you might aswell have your eyes closed. Its blatant.

If you are man: How did you feel towards Mallory and also Mickey?
    In what sense? I didnt want to be friends with them or anything ! lol. But i thought Mickey's character was more interesting than Mallory, but that could be down to anything from how he was written to how Woody Harrelson performs. So i guess i felt more inclined to liking Mickeys character than Malorey.

I felt entertained. I was amused that they got away....the prison scene is a monstrous bit of film to wade through and i actually felt happy that they'd fought out of there and the warden had been killed.

I think that violence for violences sake is where the distinction lies. I mean look at Kill Bill, probablyt he most intensely violent film of recent times, but you would be hard pushed to say that it doesnt have other merits. As long as their is a point to the violence, i think that its a useful tool for any film maker. (Jim's example of A Clockwork Orange works here).

In a word: Yes. But violence in films, as i said, isnt the be all and end all of a film. I would much rather watch something like NBK, Clockwork Orange, Kill Bill....than some Sly Stallone, Arnie, Van Damme film. Two very different sides to a violent coin.

20 year old Bloke.
  • Options
    Saw it some time ago, and really can't answer th questions properly - but Popcorn by Ben Elton could be a cool book to relate the movie to if you need any of that, as I think the book is based on Natural Born Killers - at least it has a lot of similarities and can be used as a commentary to the issues which the movie raises.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I think a film could make someone want to kill someone sure, it definately influences people.

I would've banged Malory just the record, I like a girl with guts.. not literally :D
  • Options
    Thank you for your answers!
    I am sorry about posting it on more than one board, I didn't realise how it all worked (Should have read the rules!!). I am also sorry about my spelling, I should have read through before I posted. It was all a bit of an on the spot idea.

I do need to revise the questions, but your answers are all valuable.

-Pepps x
  • Options
    Got to be honest, if you want to look at violence in movies; the perspective of a viewer to a violent protagonist; the ability of a film maker to control an audience's feelings about violence - then get of the tired NBK path and take a good close look at The Devil's Rejects.

You might have to work a lot harder to hit gold but it's a hell of a deeper seam to mine...
  • Options
    Did you think the main character Mickey and Mallory were cool? Yes
    Did you think that the satirical purpose of the film was over shadowed by the violence? No
    If you are man: How did you feel towards Mallory and also Mickey? Mallory was whiny and annoying, Mickey was authorititive but a child inside
    Hoe did you feel after the movie?disappointed Did you feel energised or deplited? Neither

Do you feel that films can be too violent? No
    Do you enjoy violent films? Yes

When answering please can you just state your age and gender. 21 Male