Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I hate the gym...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
In the last six months i think ive become old.
I've always been slim, never above a size 10 and pretty much eaten what the hell i wanted, well basuically lived off junk and chocolate, everyone always said thered come a day when id start to pay for it but i didnt realise it would be so soon, since June I've put on a stone! Nothings changed eating or execersise wise - ive just ate like always and done nothing but walk places but the weight is now going on rapidly and its really getting me down.
I know im not fat by most peoples standards but its really getting me down, in the past whenever ive put on a couple of pounds i cut out chocolate for a week and its gone again, but thats not working.
I joined a gym about 2 month ago and have tried to go, started really well, four times a week, but i really dont think its for me. I find it extremally boring and tedious, i really cant motivate myself at all to go, i know people who get a buzz from it but not me, i just feel like im losing a couple of hours of my day and resent it.
So now i havent been in nearly two weeks and hate that im wasting my money on membership but the gym i joined doesnt offer anything else but an aerobics class. I really want to find some way of getting fit and losing this weight but i hate the gym and ive done aerobics in teh past and found it pretty much a waste of time, you dont get much in the way of results at all, i think id like to play sport instead cos im quite competitive and i enjoy doing something thats got a goal (unlike lifting weights) however i never have played any before.

What sports are good and how do beginners get into them? I think id like squash as its fast and fun but i dont know the rules or have anyone to teach me - are there classes to learn? How ould i find someone to play aginst?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Squash is awesome :thumb:

But really I don't always enjoy going to the gym, but if you want to be fit and have the physique you gotta do it anyway you know?

Squash, swimming, badminton, running, cycling, dance, etc :)
    Shame your gym doesn't do any of the other classes because there are some relaly good fun ones out there.

I don't always go to the gym, because yeah it is dull and boring. Can you take some music along and listen to that to try and pass the time quicker?

I tend to go swimming a couple of times a week, but try and get down to the gym at least once a week. Do aqua aerobics once and if I get round to it one other class a week as well.

Do you have any friends you could go to the gym with to egg each other on?
    Why do all your exercise in a gym anyway? :confused: Theres a whole world out there to run and walk in and weights arent as good as press-ups anyway(Ido LOADS of press-ups :D ).If the gym bores you go walking or jogging outside.You can jog/walk for 10mins then drop and do 10-20 press-ups/crunches etc.Treadmills and weights are boring as it takes an age to see any results.
    Every post I do here I always say run outside and do press-ups :chin: But they work bloody quickly thats why!!
    I found myself hating the gym as well. Think of sports that you actually like. I LOVE badmington, swimming and that, but hate jogging, so I don't do it. You just have to find something you actually enjoy.

Actually, I really liked the spining classes at my gym and the rowing machine.
    Noooooooooooo not the gymn!!!! -cowers behind her duvet covers-

Well Iknow nothing about squash...not even what it is. Yes pathetic. But try the yellow pages. A sports club. Maybe not your local one. Like when I went swimming I rarely went to my local one because it's so small. But I'm sure there are others within traveling distance that offer better things.

As for finding an opponant....once you find a place, take a snack and a drink and sit by the door to the squash courts. Wait till people arrive and start a conversation with them. They can explain rules and maybe offer to play with you.