Home Work & Volunteering
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Limited spaces available! Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

why charities do not get the help they want

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok I just wanted to have a little rant about charities coz of some recen events but I am not down on good causes and stuff like that so don't hate me.

So the Tsunami happened and record amounts of money was raised and donated to these charties. All well and good. Then months on they say they havent spent a good share of the money as they don't know how to spend it. I mean is it just me or does that sound ridiculous? Surely they could figure out what was needed and get something going. They are just sitting on the money when it is needed to help people.

There have also been svereal scandles where money has been syphoned off and those sponser a child schemes were shown to have been so vital as the ads say, with sponsers actually sponsering families that aren't too bad off and don't really need a lot of help.

Then there is what happend to me recently. I watched the Tonight with Trevor McDonald Special on young runaways and how there is little offical help for them adn the appealing situations these children fall into. I was moved to hlep out so scanned the website and found a project in my city. I email them only to get an email back saying they dont work their anymnore, even tho it was to a general email. Anyway a few phone calls later I discover they shut the project down earlier this year, in fact the guy ont he pphone said they are concentrating soley on geting the government to do the work. I know as I studied politics that even if they do pass a bill it will takes years to impliment the entire thing and there are runaways on the streets right now. I found the email address of the guy that is suppsoed to be in charge of the runaways project in all the north, email him and same thing happens with no forwardind email or anything. Just an email addy of a general supporters line which they never reply to.

It doesn't tak emuch to update details on a website really.

I just think these charities aren't doing themselves any favours.

sorry for any typos in this message. Rant over.

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There's a lot of great charities and there's a lot of really poor charities. The runaway kids is nonsense because they are provided for by social services just as well as they would be by a charity. It makes no sense to have a separate system.

    The tsunami thing is also ridiculous. The money was donated in good faith and it seems that a lot of it isn't being spent appropriately if at all.

    And then you consider the requests for money in earthquake hit Pakistan and you wonder who is actually running these charities.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your not wrong there. Its ridiculous. I could allocate the damn money for that tsunami fund, its not that hard to do.

    Oh and The Big Issue, the charity for homeless people to help them get back on their feet? I don't know what it is like in anyone else's city but I know in mine for a fact that the majority of the sellers are hardcore heroin addicts who have no desire to get out of the hole they are in and want money for their next fix and thats it. Its a disgrace really.

    Makes you not want to give to charities at all.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    .
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Charity is important if you pick your charity well. The Big Issue is a good idea in principle and it's a generalisation to suggest that its sellers are heroin addicts, but its selling tactics of guilt and the hard-sell do concern me.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Walkindude wrote:
    Your not wrong there. Its ridiculous. I could allocate the damn money for that tsunami fund, its not that hard to do.

    Oh and The Big Issue, the charity for homeless people to help them get back on their feet? I don't know what it is like in anyone else's city but I know in mine for a fact that the majority of the sellers are hardcore heroin addicts who have no desire to get out of the hole they are in and want money for their next fix and thats it. Its a disgrace really.

    Makes you not want to give to charities at all.

    Christ, you don't half talk some shit.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    walkindude

    Would you rather have heroin addicts shoplifting and burgling to pay for their habit or selling The Big Issue? How do you know they have no desire to "get out of the hole they are in"? Have you asked them?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Charities..

    i work for a charity.. although it's a grant giving organisation so they give money to other charities so they can improve their work.. and we have donated loads of money to the tsunami and the earthquake in Pakistan.. we gave to the British Red Cross who we are very closely linked with, but still have had no feedback on exactly where the money went or how it was spent.. and its a disgrace because if all the money given out had actually been put to use, thousands of people would be better off than they are now and they wouldnt still be suffering after all this time..
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    oh piss of blgasta, you have nothing important to say and searching for my posts just to have a go is sad and patheteic.

    I didnt say ALL big issues sellers, just the ones in my city. i said most of them as I know form a contatc who knows a lot of them, before the started selling big issues and and while selling an dhe knows they are drug addicts who just wnat the money for a fix. The money doesnt help any of them get a home or out of their situation. There are genuine ones out there, I knew one myself. There tactics are disturbing to.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Walkindude wrote:
    oh piss of blgasta, you have nothing important to say and searching for my posts just to have a go is sad and patheteic.

    Errr...you seem a touch paranoid. I looked at this thread because I work in the charity sector and thought it might be interesting.
    Walkindude wrote:
    I didnt say ALL big issues sellers, just the ones in my city. i said most of them as I know form a contatc who knows a lot of them, before the started selling big issues and and while selling an dhe knows they are drug addicts who just wnat the money for a fix. The money doesnt help any of them get a home or out of their situation. There are genuine ones out there, I knew one myself. There tactics are disturbing to.

    I notice you avoided my questions. Seems to be a bit of a habit. So some Big Issue sellers have heroin problems? No shit, Sherlock. No, the money may not directly help them get a home or out of their situation. What it does do however is give them a source of income and a bit of pride rather than robbing to fund their habit, which is what would probably happen otherwise.
    What is a genuine Big Issue seller btw? What tactics are disturbing?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    walkindude, I'm from Bradford, and I can safely say that the Leeds Big Issue sellers have always been incredibly polite to me. I normally bung them extra.

    Of course some homeless people have drug problems.

    Out of interest, have you ever met a person with drug problems? I only wonder because I suspect you haven't. I've yet to meet one in my job that loves how they are.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes the bleeding heart brigade is right as always.

    why bother having a board if you can't have free speech??

    I am from Leeds, I have seen Big Issues sellers hurl abuse at people, including women. Jump out at women and behave in an intimitadting manner.

    There are plenty of drug addicts that do love their addiction and besides the point., the Big Issue is supposed to be to help people get back ont heir feet I thought, about getting help, a home, a job?? How is that when they are using it for drugs??

    or as blagsta says, we should be grateful they are't robbing our homes for their drug money??

    I'm sorry I shouod be grateful my house isn't being robbed for drug money. How stupid of me.

    Myabe people should be graetful to me because I am not mugging them??

    Next time I see a criminal, I must stop and say "hey, thanks for not mugging me or breaking into my house".

    Jeez
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Walkindude, dont take this the wrong way because im not having a go, have you considered that the people being intimidating and / or abusive may have mental health problems rather then addiction problems and are trying their best to be a valuable member of society ? I think we all judge others a little bit too quickly sometimes. I know im guilty of it on occasion.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    or maybe the sarcasm police should be receiving a ltter from you this christmas, thanking them for not arresting you.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Walkindude wrote:
    yes the bleeding heart brigade is right as always.

    Eh? :confused:
    Walkindude wrote:
    why bother having a board if you can't have free speech??

    Who is denying you your freedom of speech? :confused: However, if you spout shit, expect to be pulled up on it and if you have opinions, expect to have to back them up. That's debate for you.
    Walkindude wrote:
    I am from Leeds, I have seen Big Issues sellers hurl abuse at people, including women. Jump out at women and behave in an intimitadting manner.

    Well I hope you reported them to The Big Issue. However, just because some Big Issue sellers may behave badly, does that mean they all do?
    Walkindude wrote:
    There are plenty of drug addicts that do love their addiction and besides the point.,

    Sorry, what? Do you actually know what addiction means? Most addicts I know actually feel quite ashamed.
    Walkindude wrote:
    the Big Issue is supposed to be to help people get back ont heir feet I thought,

    Yes, and that's what it mostly does.
    Walkindude wrote:
    about getting help, a home, a job??

    Words fail me.
    Walkindude wrote:
    How is that when they are using it for drugs??

    :speechless:
    Walkindude wrote:
    or as blagsta says, we should be grateful they are't robbing our homes for their drug money?? I'm sorry I shouod be grateful my house isn't being robbed for drug money. How stupid of me.

    Do you ever bother to read the thread or think before you post?
    Walkindude wrote:
    Myabe people should be graetful to me because I am not mugging them??

    Next time I see a criminal, I must stop and say "hey, thanks for not mugging me or breaking into my house".

    Jeez

    You're being a fucking idiot. Grow up fer chrissakes.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you say I have to back up my statements and I talk shit and all you do is insult me. You don't read what I write and it is you that is the fucking idiot. Once again hijacking a thread and taking off into your own little direction. I was just making a simple point, someone else mentioned big issue sellers, I agreed with them and put what I knew about it and bingo its a have a go at me thread well fine you had your fun. Enjoy talking to yourself blagsta.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I like the way you avoid answering any of the points made. Very good that.
Sign In or Register to comment.