Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

New York for New years 2006

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
For years me and a friend have wanted to visit new york over new years when we both turn 21... This will be next year and I was just wondering, travelling from Belfast to New York, over a holiday period for say 5 days, how much money should I begin saving up? She's told me £2000 but theres not a chance in hell I'd be able to save that much - I'm a f/t student and she has a full time job.

Any one give me advice on a budget?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Flight 300, hotel for 5 nights over holiday period 500, plus whatever you spend.

Two grand would give you a great holiday, but you could do it for less if you were willing to stay in a youth hostel type place, or stay out of town. I haven't been but I'm planning to in June. Hopefully :D
    Groovay. :chin:
    Thanks for the reply, I've been on the flight sites but they don't go up to Dec 2006 yet.
    $100 a night in a hotel? Only if you want your next door to be a hooker. Especially in New York. At least $150 a night for an ok hotel.
    I may cash in on the old relatives over there, see if they can accomodate a yankee irish mongrel and a small friend for a weekend then. $150 a night! I think I may have a heart attack :eek:
    I went for 5 days with my ex-fella in June 2004, got flights with Continental direct to Newark, stayed at the Milford Plaza (recommended for the price/location, its on Broadway, one block away from Times Square... amazing. It was really clean too.) Flights and accomodation came to £600 each... and I spent about £1200 when I was there.

You've got to be careful about the hotels, some of them are shocking. Use tripadvisor.com for some ideas. and bear in mind, accomodation might be more expensive around New Year.
    my_name wrote:
    $100 a night in a hotel? Only if you want your next door to be a hooker. Especially in New York. At least $150 a night for an ok hotel.
    £100 = $170
    To bad you can't get more friends to go -so that the hotel wont be as expensive--