Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Counselling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've had a pretty rough year thats really knocked my confidence so I've took my first step & admitted that I need to talk to someone & made an appointment to see my University Counseller.

Thing is, since I've booked it I'm really dreading going & am pretty scared. I keep on thinking about cancelling. I'm not sure how i'm going to manage to talk about my personal problems to a total stranger.

Plus I'd like my boyfriend to be there with me, are you allowed to take someone in there with you or not?

I'm really unsure about everything!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yup they'll be used to it. I had my mum with me for moral support. Honestly, these people are trained to deal with problems and I doubt anything you say will shock them or make them think less of you. It'll be hard opening up at first but I'd give it a go.
    don't cancel. it will be hard, especially to begin with but it'll be worth it in the long run.
    im not sure about the taking someone with you bit...
    there will be no problem with taking someone with you, whatever you need to feel comfortable. you really shouldn't cancel before you have tried it once. that 'what if' will be there in the back of your mind and yeah, it might not work for you but it could be the best thing you've ever done. I've never managed to talk to a counsellor because i didn't like talking to a stranger but you might find it works for you to talk to someone who doesn't know you and can't judge. there is really nothing to be scared about, and it isn't worth worrying over. it is a really big step to take, admitting that you need help, and you can't give up at this stage. if it doesn't work, at least you can say you tried.

counselling

take care :)