Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Fingernail abnormality

As pictured below, this has started to happen on my left thumbnail on Oct 7th. Somebody suggested that I have trapped it in a door. It was unlikely because it doesn't hurt in the slightest. Then 12 days later (yesterday), the same thing started to happen on my little right finger.

I don't bite my fingernails.

Left-thumb.jpg

This is my own thumb, scanned using an Epson 1670!

Is it

- Infection
- Lack of sleep
- Malnutrition
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    looks like athlete's foot...?
    What are the symptoms of a fungal nail infection?
    Often the infection is just in one nail, but several may be affected. At first the infection is usually painless. The nail may look thickened and discoloured (often a greeny-yellow colour). This may be all that occurs and, although unsightly, it often causes no other symptoms.

Sometimes the infection becomes worse. White or yellow patches may appear where the nail has come away from the skin under the nail (the nailbed). Sometimes the whole nail comes away. The nail may become soft and crumble. Bits of nail may fall off. The skin next to the nail may be inflamed or scaly. If left untreated, the infection may eventually destroy the nail and the nailbed, and may become painful. Walking may become uncomfortable if a toenail is affected.

Is it sore at all?

I'd try the docs.
    Thanks Rachael/Matt/Fiend.

I have taken this advice and luckily, I have managed to book a pre-9AM appointment with my doctor for next Tuesday.
    Good luck. On first appearance it really does look like a bruise. I flicked through my Beauty Therapy book at pics of nails and some really are minging..Anywho going off subject.
    Hi Rachael,

I think that your notes above are bang on. It's hard for me alone to tell what it is, but it seems to be well documented. Although it is slow-progressive, I appreciate that you have posted back and that I now have a GP booking before it becomes too late!

Yes, the pain hasn't started. The thing that caused me to post this thread was because it started to appear on a second finger.
    Is the skin around the nail red and sore? Is your nail brown, or is that the scanner?
    The above are correct with fungus (well I'm not a dr so I'm not guaranting they are right with that answer) but there are otc meds that can get rid of it if you don't want to stop at a dr's office.

and fyi, athletes foot is a skin fungus most usually in the webbing of the toes. the symptoms of that being dry skin, itching blisters and inflimation.
    If it's a fungal nail infection, you'll need something prescribed by your GP (in the UK) and treatment can take a while.

Info
    Just to let you know what has happened, and to make this topic feel more 'finished' :

I went to the doctor this morning and was prescribed a cream called Mycota. It is admistered over the offending nails, and is used for Athlete's Foot, so Fiend-85, you're bang on right there!!

The doctor told me that the root cause is a kind of fungus that appears when too much water is present. This probably means that I haven't been drying my hands properly after washing them.