Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Dangers of antibiotics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Quick question...
...I've been taking anti-biotics for a water infection and i feel so much better and i'm due to finish the course of anti-biotics, and i was just told 'just wait till the thrush kicks in!' i've heard of women getting thrush after using anti-biotics, but surely after all the pain i've went thru for a water infection, i couldn't possibly ended up with thrush... cud i? :banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anti-biotics can have the unpleasant side effect of yeast infections because some of the naturally residing bacteria in the vagina gets wiped out. If you've almost finished the course and had no or very few symptoms, it doesn't mean you'll get thrush.

It's a huge pain, but a lot better than not treating the infection caused by cystitis - then spreading to the kidneys. Not nice.
    go_away wrote:
    Anti-biotics can have the unpleasant side effect of yeast infections because some of the naturally residing bacteria in the vagina gets wiped out.

yup :yes: , the naturally resident bacteria out-compete the yeasts but the antibiotics kill your natural flora... Not really the "dangers of antibiotics" though just side effects
    Thrush is easily treatable, and you can use home remedies like natural live yoghurt, applied liberally to the affected area. :o
    I'm always a sick puppy and have been on antibiotics many times. There was a time when I was on two different kinds (for a total of 5 pills a day for 7 days) and no side effects. So it can happen, but I've never heard of anybody getting it.