Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Discussion of drugs with non users...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Question: Do any of you ever feel frustrated that others will not engage into a sensible, reasoned and rational debate about drug use, when all other topics seem to be ok?

ok guys this might be a bit of a rant but i'll try and hone it into a point before the end :D.

Basically, was talking with flatmates (all non drug users) and we had spent the evening debating all kinds of issues including; the human right to reproduce, compulsory parenting classes and religion.

One of our number bought up the fact that she was shocked that a freind of hers had smoked pot and then proceeded to state; 'Yeah i was a bit surprised, but its not as if he did E or anything, otherwise i would have just slapped him and said what are you doing you idiot?'. I then proceeded to interject because i felt that in view of the logical and reasoned form previous discussion had taken, this girl was being a bit of a mug about this.

As SOON as the issue was raised; people looking at the floor, not talking, not getting involved, not asking questions, uncomfortable. She cut me off and proceeded to say 'Yeah mike i know you can argue this but not everything i am about is rational so you'll have to accept it'. I then told her that if she was going to say that i would challenge her and if she couldnt explain it i reserved the right to point out the errors in what she was saying.

My point is; we had just debated some really contentious issues, exchanged views and had a rational discussion. AS SOON as drug use is mentioned, people suddenly just wont pipe up and look pensively with the unspoken consensus that 'everyone knows drugs are baaaad'.

I am not starting this thread to debate the individual merits of substances, in fact in this case i was playing devils advocate a bit but heres the question.

Do any of you ever feel frustrated that others will not engage into a sensible, reasoned and rational debate about drug use, when all other topics seem to be ok?

Comments

• Options
    Do any of you ever feel frustrated that others will not engage into a sensible, reasoned and rational debate about drug use, when all other topics seem to be ok?

All the time mate. It seems everyone has an opinion on stuff like abortion, immigration, health care etc etc and that their opinions are valid as long as they don't go too far but when drugs come into the equation you're either a normal person or scum who doesn't even deserve an opinion. And the lack of education makes it worse, trying to say "relatively speaking, E's are safer than alcohol" to a pisshead student is like trying to teach chinese to a brick wall. Not going to happen, and it does get really really frustrating, though I just tend to say "you don't know what you're talking about, move on please"
  • Options
    fuck the lot of them

extremely frustrating

espically when they're basing what they know on whatever they've read in newspapers etc, they dont have a clue :no:
  • Options
    in light of the smear campaign going on in the Tory leadership contest (re; David Cameron, who happens to be one of the more sensible and well informed of senior politicians in westminister) it becomes very frustrating...
  • Options
    i agree, it either seems to be right or wrong in some peoples minds! im not a drug user myself, but i realise that there is more to it than that. however, i have been a peer drugs educator so have knowledge of drug use and have friends that are recreational users. im not one of those people who will say to the kids "drugs are bad" my job was to give them the facts and advise and help them. i agree that its weid how people wont enter into this discussion, where as other contravertial issues are free to debate!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Just look at how many people we get in here telling us that drugs are bad. Fuck all!

That's not because there's a lack of people thinking drugs are bad, they just don't seem to be up for a discussion. Whether drugs intrest you or not, it's important to have some understanding of them.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Whether drugs intrest you or not, it's important to have some understanding of them.

:yes:
  • Options
    If one thinks drugs are bad, you need to back it up. If the person has it backed up, let them be. You people are also prejudiced by the fact that (not all) drug users base their opinion on the media etc.

I think it is wrong taking drugs.

THAT is my opinion and I do not want you to attack me because of that,

See? You too are basing your opinions against non drug users without knowing anything about them.

But you do have a point concerning non drug users and that it is a very sensitive subject.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    You too are basing your opinions against non drug users without knowing anything about them.

How are we?

All we're saying is that nobody want to talk about it. Why do you think drugs are wrong?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I was saying that if I did not include that fact, you would see me as a typical american that sees drugs as a bad thing without knowing anything about it.

Not you skive.
  • Options
    here you go

"Just look at how many people we get in here telling us that drugs are bad. Fuck all!"

especially 'fuck all'
  • Options
    Eh? :confused:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    meggy wrote:
    facts !
    ...where do you get your facts?
  • Options
    Its a tough one to be sure, the problem comes when people have a irrational fear or distrust of drugs and they know you actually know about the topic.

It then normally comes down to them saying 'well I dont care what you say, they're dangerous and people shouldnt do them'.

The continual grouping of 'drugs' as one entity does a lot of harm, people see them as similar in terms of risk, especially the Class A drugs.

When I have spoken to people about this I have always found the economic arguements the best. Point out the massive waste of public money the whole 'war on drugs' thing is. Compare us with other countries which have looser laws (holland, Scandinavia, the Swis etc.)
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Skive wrote:
    Eh? :confused:

I'm not sure what he is talking about either Skive...
  • Options
    Its peoples hypocracy they dont like drug users consider them stupid and not "respectable"

Oh apart from Paul Mcartney, Mick Jagger, George Bush etc any one they do like who takes or has taken them.

Its a bit like the fact that no one likes a poor thief

Chalenge their attitude byasking them why, answers you will get will be
    a. its harmfull havnt you heard of Lia Betts
    b. Its against the law

Responde
    a. how harmfull do you know how many people are using, more people die from drink poisoning and from falling off ladders and from peanut alergies than die taking drugs

b. Oh right the law, yeah youd look down on someone for taking a pill cause its against the law, but youd be best mates with the C.E.O. of a large company who engajed or encouraged with full knowledgein horrendus acts commited around the world, but then thats respectable and the police dont come knocking.
  • Options
    I agree too. For the most part non-drug users, I find don't make and effort to understand drugs. They just say no drugs. drugs are bad. and dont even listen. That said some non drug users I can carry a full discussion with. Just depends if people break the stereotypes or drug users/non-drug users
  • Options
    Everyone is welcome to their own opinion and I definatly respect personal choice, whether you use drugs or not.

But please do not bring Leah Betts into it. This story, though upsetting, was badly publicised and did not press FACTS. Newspapers and other media forms that chose to report on it missed out vital information, therefore causing concern where concern was not nessicarily needed.

That evening Leah and her friends had been drinking Vodka as well as taking (I think) 1 1/2 pills each.

Now, I don't condone drug use in any way, but mixing up and down drugs is beyond stupid. These girls knew that the drug would dehydrate them, as they had done it a few times before, so why drink as well? Leah died because she panicked, and drank TOO MUCH water.

This is one of the main reasons today that people worry about fluid intake when they are pilling, which can be dangerous and cause people to panic and therefore have a bad 'trip.'

If only what had been documented had been correct facts rather than speculation, opinions would be different today.

Please look into this story and how it was reported, you may find it really interesting. And maybe you won't trust everything Murdock feeds you.

xxxxx
  • Options
    http://www.ecstasy.org/info/dangers.html

I know this only refers to E, but its a really interesting article.

In fact, its a really good website all together.

xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    That was I know your mum's point, surely, when he said that people use the Leah case as an example of what can happen when you take E. I believe he was pointing out that the case was misreported, but people take it as gospel. That was my impression anyway.
  • Options
    http://www.ecstasy.org/info/dangers.html

I know this only refers to E, but its a really interesting article.

In fact, its a really good website all together.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Please note that some of the info is out of date though, as, I believe, Nicholas Saunder (author of E is for Ecstacy etc) ran it but was killed in 98. The people who run it now don't have the time to put in to keep it current.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    That was I know your mum's point, surely, when he said that people use the Leah case as an example of what can happen when you take E. I believe he was pointing out that the case was misreported, but people take it as gospel. That was my impression anyway.

It was just one in a very long line of mis-representations and out right lies from drugs education which make any efforts nigh on pointless.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Please note that some of the info is out of date though, as Nicholas Saunder (author of E is for Ecstacy etc) ran it but was killed in 98. The people who run it now don't have the time to put in to keep it current.

And he is clearly not a chemist, there are several errors in the book which I spotted when I read it.
  • Options
    Could it just be that research moved on from when he wrote it? It has been updated recently...
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Could it just be that research moved on from when he wrote it? It has been updated recently...

No, off the top of my head his comments on meth were some of the worst, he clearly didnt know what he was talking about.

I dont want to bad mouth the book too much though, it is an interesting read, if totally biased.
  • Options
    I think when non drug users think about drugs, they probably concentrate on the worse cases, i mean drugs are not good for you, we all know that, but if you use them in moderation and are a recreational user and have control over it, then to me its not bad to use drugs however on the other hand if you are bang on it and drugs take over your life then to me that is bad, i know people who are on crack that have stolen from their families and held guns to their friends heads just to get another hit, when it gets to that point........ who is right and who is wrong in a debate??? And if someone has seen a loved one's life ruined because of drugs, then i think they have every right to be against them....... I am not talking from experience as i do dabble but am just trying to be objective i guess......
  • Options
    well when the media reports a story, such as that of leah betts, people are bound to worry. afterall, if it can happen to her, it could happen to you. not aware of the statistics but am sure that the cases of this happening are very rare. the media publish a story and blow it out of proportion creating a moral panic, which imo, can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    And if someone has seen a loved one's life ruined because of drugs, then i think they have every right to be against them......

But families of alcoholics are rarely paraded infront of the news to prevent us all from drinking.

Alcohol is easily the most socially damaging drug in this country, it is the double standards which make prohibition even more of a joke.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    But families of alcoholics are rarely paraded infront of the news to prevent us all from drinking.

Alcohol is easily the most socially damaging drug in this country, it is the double standards which make prohibition even more of a joke.

Yes i agree, but like LD said, people are just worried and hurt when they lose someone to drugs and want to warn others that if you are not careful, drugs can kill and that it is more instant that drink.....

I know what you mean, the media does 'big up' drug cases but then who buys the papers........??

Not to mention drugs are illegal, drink isnt........
  • Options
    Yes i agree, but like LD said, people are just worried and hurt when they lose someone to drugs and want to warn others that if you are not careful, drugs can kill and that it is more instant that drink

I wouldn't say so, overdoses on alcohol are not that rare, and given the amount of violence involved in drinking I'd say a quick death from alcohol related causes is entirely possible.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I wouldn't say so, overdoses on alcohol are not that rare, and given the amount of violence involved in drinking I'd say a quick death from alcohol related causes is entirely possible.

So whats your deal Bongbudda, why do you feel so strongly about this anyhow??