Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

accomodation for oldies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
im going to uni in 2007 after my gap year which will make me just 20 when i start(yes twenty is old :yes: ). i was wondering what accomadation would be best to go for, halls or shared flats off campus etc. coz id still like to get the chance to mix with everyone so i dont end up a loner! but i dont know if ill be able to hack it with 18 years old running round me (no offence im 18!)

any advice?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    go for halls! im 18 and in halls! practically all my firends are 20/21, even as old as 23! and they fit in just fine! you will be suprised how many people take gap years. nobody really takes any notice of age when u get to uni, because there is such a variety of ages! personally i dont think you get the whole uni experience unless you spend the first year in halls!
  • Options
    meggy wrote:
    go for halls! im 18 and in halls! practically all my firends are 20/21, even as old as 23! and they fit in just fine! you will be suprised how many people take gap years. nobody really takes any notice of age when u get to uni, because there is such a variety of ages! personally i dont think you get the whole uni experience unless you spend the first year in halls!

couldnt have said it better myself
  • Options
    i'd say the accomodation you should choose doesnt really depend on your age, it depends on the type of person you are. halls are generally going to be noisy places, probably quite a few disturbed nights, pracitcal jokes etc, especially at the beginning. You'll get to meet lots of people that way, and because there are more people around it'll probably be easier to find people you 'click' with.

Living in shared flats/houses you'll obviously get to know less people to begin with and it'll probably be quiter but that's not necessarily a bad thing. if you get on with the people you live with, you'll have a great time. it's likely you'll be living in a student area anyway so you'll have lots of student neighbours to get to know. halls can get a bit tiresome in the end, having a shared flat/house feels more like independent living in my opinion.

so i'd say it entirely depends on the type of person you are. i started uni last year and was in halls and loved it but that was mainly because i had THE best flatmates. but it was noisy, people sat the fire alarm off a lot, didnt clear up, banged on doors at all hours which yes, eventually did get annoying. i started at a different uni this year and im in a shared house which i love to. im living with great people, it feels like a proper home and im getting to know just as many people through my course, friends of friends etc.
  • Options
    the difference between an 18 year old and a 20 year old is marginal. I was 20 when I went to uni (well, the second one) and no one even realised I hadn't come straight from doing A levels.

you'll feel like a young'un soon enough if your course is anything like mine (our oldest was pushing 70)
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    the difference between an 18 year old and a 20 year old is marginal. I was 20 when I went to uni (well, the second one) and no one even realised I hadn't come straight from doing A levels.

you'll feel like a young'un soon enough if your course is anything like mine (our oldest was pushing 70)

All so true :yes:

In halls the first year, it felt like (and I'm sure it was) an even mixture of 18 year olds and 21/22/23 year olds...with quite a few late 20's people too. There was never any division between anyone, I don't think people even asked/cared how old other people were, most of the time.

And almost definitely, once you get on your course, you'll realise you're not old in Uni terms - by any stretch of the imagination. As kaffrin said.
  • Options
    Yeah when I was in halls in 1st year there was a real mix of people from 18-25 ish, it didn't matter to anyone.

You could, however, consider on campus self catering flats if there are any at the uni you're going to, they're often a bit less "hectic" than halls but you still get to meet loads of people...
  • Options
    i put down to be in halls, but i got put into a block of flats off campus, its not too bad, still plenty of first years livin there, ive even become good mates with second years across the hall, i have mates in halls, its mainly arty people in my building as the art campus is across the road anyway.