Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Study Room/Common Room

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
When you were (or if you are) at school did you have a common room/study room?

My school has a Study Room for 6th years only but it's a constant battle between students and teachers to secure the room. Every time something goes wrong the room gets locked and the teachers squabble amongst themselves as to who gets the room.

For example. A while ago someone in the lower school came in and shredded a newspaper and scattered it all over the room. The door was locked and by the next day the learning support teacher had moved all her stuff in. Luckily we complained to the head of year and we were given back the room but the LS teacher wasn't too happy (she still hasn't moved her stuff)

Anyone have opinions on this?

P.S.
Since I was voted Chairman of the Senior School Council I wanted to pass a motion to give the 'study room' actual status and secure the room for future 6th years but I'm not sure how well that would go. I'd go as far as a strike but I'm not sure who would be with me on that one.

P.P.S
Should study rooms be compulsary?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    We have a common room, which is meant to be a place to study, but as I've found over the last week or so, it's impossible to get some work doen without being disturbed...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    We had a common room. It was really horrid and manky but it was *ours*. I think it was mainly because we were the first year to have it, so it felt more like it really was ours.
  • Options
    We had a common room, we called the terminal or red room as it looked like an airport terminal. In the end we were told keep it tidy or it'll be locked. so we kept it tidy coz otherwise we'd have nowhere to go.
  • Options
    We had a common room, we called the terminal or red room as it looked like an airport terminal. In the end we were told keep it tidy or it'll be locked. so we kept it tidy coz otherwise we'd have nowhere to go.

WE've had that problem on & off since the start of term and it's a right pain when the common room is locked...
  • Options
    We had a common room when I was in 6th year, no studying ever went on it though, the hifi and big speakers kinda put paid to that.
  • Options
    Thank God there are other people in the same position!
  • Options
    We had a stupid radio/cassette thing but it got taken away because it hadn't been passed by the technician :|
  • Options
    yes had a common room. was suppossed to be a place of study but turned into a place to hang out and have fun mainly because we had such a cool head of year! it was a dingy terrapin though, but better than nothing!

Are younger students allowed in this room??? they were stricktly forbidden in ours, as it was a place to get away from them!

i think a stike is probably the wrong way to go about it as you would probably be the ones to loose out!

if i was you, i would structure a very formal (but polite) letter, outlining why you feel you need the space and the problem with it at the moment, then suggest how they could be ressolved as a compromise. As you are chairman you should present this letter to your head of year, or other member of staff you feel you can trust!
  • Options
    meggy wrote:
    yes had a common room. was suppossed to be a place of study but turned into a place to hang out and have fun mainly because we had such a cool head of year! it was a dingy terrapin though, but better than nothing!

Are younger students allowed in this room??? they were stricktly forbidden in ours, as it was a place to get away from them!

i think a stike is probably the wrong way to go about it as you would probably be the ones to loose out!

if i was you, i would structure a very formal (but polite) letter, outlining why you feel you need the space and the problem with it at the moment, then suggest how they could be ressolved as a compromise. As you are chairman you should present this letter to your head of year, or other member of staff you feel you can trust!
    The younger pupils are not allowed in, no. Doesn't stop them trying though. The room gets checked every now and again by teachers anyway.

A strike might be radical but if the room is locked again I would consider it as an option.

The letter thing is a good idea though. Thanks.
  • Options
    you gotta remember you wanna keep on the teachers side though! thats my advice
  • Options
    At my school we have two floors to the 6th form block. The lower floor has a study area as well as several classrooms. If anybody wants to work they can work there. On the upper floor we have a common room. It gets locked if it is left untidy etc. The common room is only really for sitting and doing nothing, it's pretty hard to work in there. Oh and we also have a "seminar" room, which has tables and stuff so people study in there.

I don't understand why the teachers would steal your space, even if you are not momentarily allowed to use it. It's just rudeness, but I guess they must be extremely lacking in the space for staff or something..
  • Options
    A lot of teachers are very annoying, I take it you're at a 6th form in a school? I was glad to go to a 6th form college to get away from the patronising teachers who are used to 11 year olds!
  • Options
    when i was in 6th form we had two annexes (wooden buildings in the grounds) one for yr 12, one for yr 13. they weren't for studying, just for us to have somewhere to hang out at break, lunch, free periods. they had old sofas, radio etc. all 6th form classes also had their own classroom which were generally quiet and therefore could be used to study BUT we also had a silent study room too just for us which worked well. we could also use the canteen when it wasnt break or lunch. since ive left there's been a new sixth form block built, havent seen it but i think its got a little canteen and a seating area.

at the boys school where i went for a couple of subjects at a-level, they had their own 6th form block which basically had a canteen area, another area for sitting-just tables and chairs and stuff which was noisy at lunch but had to be quiet in the day for ppl to work. if you wanted quiet at lunch there was a room to use. so yeah... we were pretty well catered for.

i dont understand why teachers would want your space either.. ours would never have wanted to come near ours, not to use it anyway, they just came to check up on us occasionally. you need to do something to make sure you can keep the room just for yourselves, doesnt seem very fair otherwise. surely the teachers have enough places for themselves, i.e. the staffroom and their own classrooms?!
  • Options
    i went to a 6th form college, it wasn't attached to a school or anything so we didn't have a common room. it'd have to been huge if we did!
  • Options
    There's a bit of an accomodation shortage at my school. It's mainly just the support staff who want it because it would be like an extra classroom for them.
  • Options
    i went to a 6th form college, it wasn't attached to a school or anything so we didn't have a common room. it'd have to been huge if we did!
    Same. 2000 pupils....one common room...I don't think so :p.

There's nowhere to go though, apart from the Concourse, which is almost always full and pretty boring at times. Oh well.
  • Options
    We had two common rooms, one for lower 6ths and one for upper 6ths...both with tv's and vending machines. We also had a study room with a study women supervisor, no squabbling there...I went to one of the best grammar schools in Northern Ireland so we had pretty much everything.
  • Options
    We had a common room when I was in sixth year. It was just a place to sit about during free periods. It had a hi-fi, a dodgy microwave that has probably rendered me sterile, a kettle and a load of crap chairs/sofas/tables etc.

Unfortunatley there were a number of man-child types (you know, shaving since they were six, had to concentrate to remember to breath etc) who were allowed to stay on while doing no highers. Not even one. And like most evolutionary dead ends they were into professional wrestling. Ah, that joyous day when the biggest man-child began to put the smaller one through the tables while shouting "power bomb".

It took six weeks to clean up the common room after we left.

Anyway, the room was offically ours, with certain stipulations. The music wasn't to be too loud, The classes near the room weren't to be disturbed, it had to be kept reasonable clean etc. And it was our room. Teachers would knock before they came in and stuff.

The teachers seemed to dig it because they could just nip down to the common room grab a sixth year if they needed one.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    We had one, which was cool and we had a study room next door. The only downside was if a teacher ever needed something doing and they couldnt be arsed they'd always come and hassle us.
  • Options
    We are a small school.

We have a small common room, with bashed-up blue seats and a small kitchen area.
    Then we have an adjoining small computer room - 6 computers and a couple of chairs.
  • Options
    My study room is the worst ever :(
  • Options
    Yeah we had one it was jammin. The first year (in sixth form college) all the rockers went downstairs and we built forts from tables and chairs, had chair hurdling competitions, skinned up on the tables and played our music.

When I finally grew up and decided to work I hung out upstairs with all the goth kids who used to give the evils to the trendy & indie kids on the other side of the room. the upstairs common room smelt of warm milk.

University, our halls have no common rooms, but we have a canteen and two bars on campus.