Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

any1 left JSA

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi

in the next few weeks i will be leaving jsa and have heard that people who
found work and leave are entitled to a reward of some sort or they give
you money to buy clothes for your new job. any1 heard of these scheams/
rewards.

Comments

• Options
    In my experience that is untrue. Whenever i've left JSA i have never been offered any kind of reward or scheme. Nor have i ever heard of any

I've been through JSA a number of times now. I left after 4 months of being on JSA in febuary, i asked about the possibilty of getting money for clothes as did not have enough money to go out and buy a new work outfit and because a few years ago they did infact give me money to buy a complete new outfit all-be-it that was in a different town.

I was told you have to be unemployed for over 6 months before they give you any kind of help like that, one of many things about the jobcentre i hate. After 6 months though you are given a personal advisor so that ties in with that i think.

What it might say is " You may be entitled to extra money " or something like that, but it's a uge maybe.
  • Options
    It took me 2 months to get a decision about JSA, was on it for 2 weeks then i got a job. Now iv got a job they dont know what to do! One office is telling me to speak to another office vise-versa and when i visited them they was like "emmm yeh its not very often people sign off so you will have to make an appointment with someone". Iv been working for 3 weeks now and they still dont know how to sign me off! Rediculous, no doubt il be getting letters soon giving me a court date :-(
  • Options
    you dont have to do anything, you just stop signing on when youve found a job.
  • Options

yep, exactly. If you don't go and sign, you don't (or shouldn't anyway) get your money. So so long as you're not carrying on signing then you can't be getting anything.
  • Options
    If youve been on JSA for over 6 or 8 months (i think) then you have to have an interview about how you're getting on finding a job.... at this point you are able to claim for certain items to help you get back to work, ie suits, transport etc upto the value of £300. Receipts have to be produced oviously upon approval.
    I cant really knock the jobcentre, they have been really helpful when i was looking for a job by helping me fax forms, giving me money for transport so i could get to interviews, stamps etc
  • Options

I had to fill in a little form when I got a job. I just got a job and I am still waiting for my payments to come through and that was over 2 weeks ago!
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    I had to fill in a little form when I got a job. I just got a job and I am still waiting for my payments to come through and that was over 2 weeks ago!

This is correct.

When you find a job you take the little piece of card inside your JSA booklet and fill it in, basic details of what your enew job is etc. ou simply hand it in to the jobcentre and thats it they do the rest for you, any money due to you to tha tpoint will be paid and no more. They dont offer any kind of help i reference to buying items of clothing for new jobs unless you have been unemployed for over 6 months, this is because you then officially go onto " New Deal " and get a personal advisor.

Hope that helps ( further to my original post ) :)
  • Options
    I just posted my little form because it was easier for me to do that.
  • Options
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, thanks for the replys though its a big help :)
  • Options
    Iluv2party wrote:
    If youve been on JSA for over 6 or 8 months (i think) then you have to have an interview about how you're getting on finding a job.... at this point you are able to claim for certain items to help you get back to work, ie suits, transport etc upto the value of £300. Receipts have to be produced oviously upon approval.

It's gone down to £100 now.
  • Options
    gladiator wrote:
    hi

in the next few weeks i will be leaving jsa and have heard that people who
    found work and leave are entitled to a reward of some sort or they give
    you money to buy clothes for your new job. any1 heard of these scheams/
    rewards.
    How long have you been on benefit? i If 6 months + you may be eligible for adviser discretionary fund, but this has been so badly abused that funding has been slashed drastically across the country so don't hold your breath. You may also be entitled to A jOB gRANT. My best advice is to contact your local jobcentre and ask to see an adviser asap! There are many incentives that are unique to which part of the country youlive in as jobcentre plus is running that many different pilot schemes at the moment. Some Districts have other organisations who have funding from various places ,like the european social fund, that may be able to help. Again. any decent adviser should be able to advise you. Don't rely on frontline staff when you sign on, they don'y usually get as nivolved with whats on offer and don't receive as indepth training as an adviser.
  • Options
    Richeh wrote:
    This is correct.

When you find a job you take the little piece of card inside your JSA booklet and fill it in, basic details of what your enew job is etc. ou simply hand it in to the jobcentre and thats it they do the rest for you, any money due to you to tha tpoint will be paid and no more. They dont offer any kind of help i reference to buying items of clothing for new jobs unless you have been unemployed for over 6 months, this is because you then officially go onto " New Deal " and get a personal advisor.

Hope that helps ( further to my original post ) :)
    Anyone in a Jobcentre PLus district can claim through the adviser fund as long as they have been in receipt of benefits for 6 months continous without a break, this includes incapacity benefit, income support and JSA
  • Options
    It's gone down to £100 now.
    Depends where you live, some area are only paying out £50.00, some none! Too many customers abused it unfortunately.