Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Move The Bag

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
One thing that always surprises me is how rude some people are on trains and buses.

I caught 4 trains yesterday and have always noticed in the past when there is a very crowded bus or train there is always some person who thinks their ticket entitles them to a seat for themselves and one for their bag or handbag.

Has any of you said anything to someone that`s done this? I really think I will next time .. maybe ask them if there`s a bomb in the bag which is the reason for them not wanting it on their laps.

Comments

• Options
    I would just say " do you mind if I sit here" and then they always just move their bag.
  • Options
    I usually have my things on the seat next to me, but will always move them if someone needs to sit down.
  • Options
    I usually have my things on the seat next to me, but will always move them if someone needs to sit down.

I think that`s fair enough if the carriage is full of empty seats but once it becomes full I think any decent person should automatically realise and clear their stuff off of the seat.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    :yes: If it's full, i'll take it off, 'cos thats just been a cunt.

Usualy the trains I get are empty though.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Usualy the trains I get are empty though.

:eek2:

You could always sit ontop of the bag, just to prove a point... :chin: Think asking for the seat first would be a better idea though, but not as fun. :razz:
  • Options
    I always put my bag under the seat or in one of those bag holster thingies.

Unless I'm on one of the eternally empty Bradford-Leeds trains, when I have whole carriage for it.
  • Options
    :yes: I get the train to work and back everyday so well used to it. Some people are so rude
  • Options
    There are some real ignorant school kids on the bus I occasionally get. Idiots. I normally just go to sit down anyway, regardless of the bag. Muahahahaha. Or just ask nicely and smile sweetly. Tis tres anti social of them tbh.
  • Options
    I felt really bad on friday evening when I was getting the train up to a wedding I was going to, and had to chuck this poor man out of the seat I'd reserved. It was really packed though, and I wasn't going to stand up for two hours :no:
    If you end up standing on Virgin trains, it always seems to be next to the really smelly loos :yuck:
  • Options

I am the same but if I was on the bus and it was full and the only seat avaible had someones bag on it I would just ask them to move it.
  • Options
    I would never have mine on a seat next to me.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    I would never have mine on a seat next to me.

Why not?
  • Options
    I always put mine down on the seat next to me, but with the handle looped around my arm so that no one can nick it. It annoys me when I put my bag on my lap so someone can sit next to me and it ends up that I am cramped in the corner next to this big smelly person for two hours while the guy in the seat opposite me who put his newspaper on the seat next to him and is getting off at the next stop gets to sit all spread out and comfortable. But if the train gets really busy and I can see that every seat will be taken, then I move my bag. Just force of habit really, if someone asks then I will always move it, and I wouldn't hesitate to ask someone else to move theirs on a crowded train.
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    Why not?

Because not everyone is willing to ask you to move and I find it rude to have it on the seat. What is the difference between a seat and the floor or in your lap?
  • Options
    I just drive, then you get all the space you want. I've only ever been on a train a few times and thats when I was on a school trip to france and we had to ride the train. Never again. How do you people do it every day? *shudders*
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I just drive, then you get all the space you want. I've only ever been on a train a few times and thats when I was on a school trip to france and we had to ride the train. Never again. How do you people do it every day? *shudders*

Way to conform to the American stereotype. :p

The worst are the people who see you want the seat but ignore you and avoid eye contact so their bag doesn't have to give it up.
  • Options
    The Doc wrote:
    Way to conform to the American stereotype. :p

How about if I told you my car gets an average of 35 mpg :p Theres the non steryotype. And yes to stick to the topic. boo to pepole who wont move their stuff.
  • Options
    i get the bus to and back from school 3 times a week, coming back isn't a problem if i can get the earlier one, because my school finishes earlier than others so i don't have the promblem with buses packed with school kids. Going is a nightmare though, especially if it's only single decker. Because i'm always 1 of the first on though, i put my bags next to me till it gets busy.
  • Options
    I always put my bags down by feet...usually because any buses or trains I get are always packed.

And America has a serious problem with public transport...I seen a program where a woman drove to the bottom of her driveway to get the mail and drive back up :crazyeyes
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    And America has a serious problem with public transport...I seen a program where a woman drove to the bottom of her driveway to get the mail and drive back up :crazyeyes
    you're kidding?? :eek2: wow, lazy or what??? I noticed american airports they're full of those moving floors too.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Personally I sit very rarely in trains and buses, I usually prefer to stand even if it's almost empty. Unless I'm extremely tired, I'll stand.
    The reason for this is simple: If I stand all I have to watch out is for when I'll reach the stop I want to leave at. If I sit I also have to look around for old people who want to sit and are too shy/grumpy/whatever to ask me to stand up.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

Because its easier, cheaper and I can read my book on the Tube, can you read while driving?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

It depends how long your drive is, if its half a mile then you may well just think sod it and drive. Post isnt delivered to houses in the US.

My aunt in Canada has her mail delivered to the end of her street so she has to drive.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Because its easier, cheaper and I can read my book on the Tube, can you read while driving?

You'd not believe how often I see people do it. Yesterday on my drive home I saw at least half a dozen. Those scare me.

I'm assuming though, public transport is not the nasty vile cespool that it is here. Its not filled with the scary unshowered poor people, the drunk people and the temporary homes for the homeless. I've heard stories it smells like pee.
    It was actually quite clean and dandy in France though very crowded. Thats why I wouldn't ride it again. I hate people.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    You'd not believe how often I see people do it. Yesterday on my drive home I saw at least half a dozen. Those scare me.

I can also get on the Tube hungover with no problems and its safer.

It can get quite crowded, but its only really bad in the centre at peak times. But then driving into the centre of London is impossible, not only because of traffic but there is no where to put your car at the end.

And no, it doesnt smell of pee.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I can also get on the Tube hungover with no problems and its safer.

It can get quite crowded, but its only really bad in the centre at peak times. But then driving into the centre of London is impossible, not only because of traffic but there is no where to put your car at the end.

And no, it doesnt smell of pee.

I ment I've heard that the ones here smell like pee, the bad references were aimed at the states public transportation if I wasn't very clear on that, sorry.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I ment I've heard that the ones here smell like pee, the bad references were aimed at the states public transportation if I wasn't very clear on that, sorry.

Fair enough the Chicargo underground was a bit dark and dank, but it ran on time and was alright.

The New York one has really hard seats, but thats clean and was quite nice.
  • Options
    I don't mind moving my bag if its just my one bag and its really busy but I do hate it when it is obvious I have a lot of stuff such as if I'm packed with case and bags to my chaps or ahem, I have been on a mega shopping trip (ahh those were the days when I could afford that!). Then you position the bags so that they fit under the seat (the one thats in front of the back thats raised so the bags can't go far, on the seat, in front of you and on your lap and some old women give you daggers cus they want to sit theer not go upstairs. Sorry love, I can't actually get upstairs with all this.

I'm afraid I'm a selfish public transport person who loves to sit in front of the back downstairs and watch the old people fight with the moms and buggies for the seats that are entitled to go to the moms and buggies only. Much amusement really-quite mean of me I know I do wish I'd go upstairs and ignore!
  • Options
    I am an offender of the bag-on-seat thing. BUT I will move it if it's obvious that the bus is going to be really busy, or if a lady with a baby/small child wants to sit down, or a nice looking old person. I dislike old people in general though, they use up all the seats on the bus that's meant to be for the students in the afternoon and morning and yet complain about the effing students.

Effing old people.
  • Options
    I dislike old people in general though, they use up all the seats on the bus that's meant to be for the students in the afternoon and morning and yet complain about the effing students.

when you have survived life to retirement age, you earn the right to complain non-stop.

personally i can't wait.