Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

VoIP at University

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My cousin has Broadband Ethernet connection in his bedroom at Uni

MSN works, but the voice thing don`t seem to work (I assume that port is blocked??), however he can talk to us via Skype PC to PC - but is there anything apart from Skype with PC to Telephone facility that uses port 80?

Comments

• Options
    www.voipbusters.com

It gives you a minute free to most European landlines. And you can just continue calling up through that, it'll just disconnect you after a minute unless you pay 5 pounds I think.

I use that to phone up my parents and tell them to go on skype where we can talk without getting disconnected.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    www.voipbusters.com

It gives you a minute free to most European landlines. And you can just continue calling up through that, it'll just disconnect you after a minute unless you pay 5 pounds I think.

I use that to phone up my parents and tell them to go on skype where we can talk without getting disconnected.

That looks exactly the same as the one I was trying but the list is different

http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/en/free.html
  • Options
    BTW Google Talk worked, but not as well as skype
  • Options
    Skype is generally the king of computer to computer voip nowadays. It's built from kazaa and can automatically get through firewalls by having non-firewalled skype clients act as a server for firewalled clients. I doubt they've blocked MSN, but they're not going to go out of their way to make sure it works either, as it's not exactly an educational tool.