Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Stupid floppy disk. Grrr.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a floppy disk with a bunch of important work on. It's been working fine, but today it is saying the disk isn't formatted and it won't display anything on it, even though I know there is stuff on it!

FFS I feel like crying because a couple of the doc's aren't saved onto a hard drive, so basically I have to redo the whole lot.

How could the disk just suddenly fuck up?

:banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had exactly the same problem a while back and lost everything :(
    Are you using the same computer? I had a disk and tried to use it on uni computers - they said it wasnt formatted, but on my own it worked fine.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Panthro wrote:
    Are you using the same computer? I had a disk and tried to use it on uni computers - they said it wasnt formatted, but on my own it worked fine.
    That's happened to me too.

Did you maybe have it somewhere with magnetic fields? Close to a mobile phone, for example.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Floppies are a bit shit. :p I hate it when they die.

sometimes its the drive though - some drives wont seem to recognise disks, others will. Try it in a few computers, might get lucky.
    floppies are a disposable mdium. never trust them beyond moving a file from one place to another. if you must use them, always keep your work on more than one.

At the first sign of trouble replace the disk.
    Get a USB flash drive.
    what fiend said.
    Yes i also found that different drives think different things are on discs. It can be very fustrating. I have even found this to be the case with USB keys(requiring a format everytime you stick it into a PC) . The best thing is to take it to the computer u orginally got the work from and transfer it via CD, Email or bluetooth if possible.