Young Carers of The Mix, we need you! Tell us about your experiences of our services and give yourself a chance to win £50 of Amazon vouchers.
Want to tell us about your experiences using The Mix and be in with a chance of winning a £200 Amazon Voucher? Click here to go to our survey!

How long?

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's OrganistPosts: 13,327
Just wondering, what is the longest amount of time you've ever left your PC on without stopping? Im heading for a month now, nearly there! It's starting to slow down alot and do it's little computer crying of fucking up even simple tasks. Games lag like a bitch now, but I will finish torrenting that file!

So, whats your record?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    does restarting/rebooting the computer count as getting turned off?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    does restarting/rebooting the computer count as getting turned off?

Yes, that frees up the memory so it can work properly. :D
    jesus.

poor computer.

if everyone never turn their computer off, next thing you know thered be computer unions and theyll start demanding for their rights.
    jesus.

poor computer.

if everyone never turn their computer off, next thing you know thered be computer unions and theyll start demanding for their rights.
    :lol: Which is why we should not make them sentinent. Besides, It'll live... 93.4%... last file... but, bloody crappy seeders with a stupid connection.
    194 days, which is nearly 7 months.

the pc was running linux though :)

but my 2003 enterprise server has been on for like 4 months before
    :o Wow. Thats ages!
    currently:
    home:
    2:33AM up 17 days, 12:48, 25 users, load averages: 0.29, 0.10, 0.03

When I want to play resource intensive games I boot this one into MSwindows, but I don't trust MSwindows to look after my work, or be allowed onto the internet. It is unusual if it has been up for more than 3 months. I usually play games at least once every 3 months. I broke my MSwindows98 install by adding new hardware in 2002, it was 14 months before I got around to bothering to reboot and fix it

work:
    2:33AM up 22 days, 2:25, 60 users, load averages: 1.01, 0.99, 0.90

This machine was rebooted for a memory upgrade, before that it had an OS update on wednesday 15th June. Time before that was July 2004

my home fileserver has currently been up
    2:53AM up 235 days, 2:18, 1 user, load averages: 0.12, 0.24, 0.16
    The cpu fan got clogged with dust and the machine overheated, the other-half hit the power button when the MB alarm went off
    heh. uptime willy waving
    Stick 4 gigs on Kingston 533 ram in there, you'll never lag again ;).

Anty way, I've left my PC on for about a day, thats about it.
    um like a day at most..

What a waste of electricity..

*is ashamed of you*

:p

What a waste of electricity..

*is ashamed of you*

:p
    Well, I need to leave it on while I'm at work, in case I need to get something from it, or to run test from it to compare to tests run at the office. That's around 10-12 hours a day. Turning it on uses around 3 hours worth of electricity, so it would be inefficient to switch it off before bed time. If I switched it off then I'd have to switch it back on when I got up, and hardware failures are most likely to happen when you turn something on. The last thing I need in the morning is a hardware failure, because I need access to my computer from work....

Also I'd have to change my working practices - save stuff I'm working on, then open it all up again and try to work out what I was looking at. A medium complecity task will involve around 4 applications and 12 windows, and typically I'll have at least 3 tasks on the go. Who'ld want to loose their place?
    At home, around 2 months for my main desktop. laptop doesn't get left on.

i've had a server running for 500 days now though, and a mate of mine has had a server uptime of over 1000 days (nearly 3 years!)

p.s, omg 500th post!
    8 months!!! I never ever turn my PC off- or i never used to but now I do update my windows and such and it requires the odd restart. Eventually the hard-drive burnt itself out though literally. I was using a laptop at the time and i really recommend leaving those things off for a few hours a day now. The thing almost burnt a whole in my desk!!!
    80 odd days and it crashed ... made me very angry !

my computer is constantly on as the other computers net runs through it, its only ever off for a restart when i have to every once in a while

im still runnin an athlon 850 with windows xp and it goes for weeks and weeks with loads and loads of shit open and runs fine ... i honestly think it runs better than some other ('better') processors ...

this computers been on non stop basically for the last 5 years ... the monitor packed in last year as did the hard drive a few months ago (after the computer recieving a few swift kicks for being a cunt) but other than that its chuggin along fine ;D
    I turn mine off every night :p but on the odd occasion i do leave it on for a night or two. Don't need to leave it on any more than that.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Warming up? Posts: 16,688
    I usually just turn it off whenever it's not doing something. What's the point in using more electricity than you need?
    Zalbor wrote:
    I usually just turn it off whenever it's not doing something. What's the point in using more electricity than you need?

No idea myself. But as I am usually Torrenting, its all worth it!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Warming up? Posts: 16,688
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    No idea myself. But as I am usually Torrenting, its all worth it!
    Yeah, that's what I meant. If you have the computer doing something, sure. But some people just leave it on and inactive.
    booting up the pc takes up a lot of electricity .. it can be more energy efficent if you leave it on i believe (depending on how often you turn it on and off of course)