Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

more innocents to be put in jail?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
did i hear right today?
our legal system should no longer be primarily aimed at protecting the innocent but be changed to make it easier to lock up the guilty ...with the possibility that more innocent mebers of the public being jailed would be a price worth paying ...tell me i've heard this wrong ...pleeeease.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I saw that report too.

I was shocked, but not realyl supprised to be honest.
  • Options
    it would seem that tackling crime is now so difficult that the goal posts will be moved.
    the police will need much less evidence as will the judges ...to arrest and convict.
    so more innocents will go to jail.
    is it just me or is this an admission that the police can't do a propper job so will be allowed to be extremely powerful but lazy?
  • Options
    What evidence? What due process?

Guantanemo led the way, now it's the fashion!

And still the sheeple graze on compalcent as ever, unwilling to recognise the deep seated ideology driving these developments or the well scripted plan according to which it was all kicked off from day 1 (excuse me, day 11) ;)
  • Options
    It's for a really interesting reason too.

Basically, the magic of the internet is meaning that one of the primary roles of the police - that of revenue collecting - is becoming ever more difficult.

If you get a speeding ticket these days, as an example, you can find all sorts of websites showing legal loopholes of one kind or another that may or may not work. What the growing number of people who are trying these approaches do achieve is a massive slowing down of "judicial process".

What the PTB want is for everyone to file in and pay their cash, they don't want a series of smartarses all sat there with two witnesses and their own court reporters arguing jurisdiction, technical points of law and all the rest of it. The guy recently who had to be dragged to the high court for refusing to sign a guilty plea is a case in point.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/3113107.stm

Doubt you would have heard about this if it wasn't Dwight Yorke. As the article says these defences are sweeping accross the country "like a virus".

Whether these "systems" work or not, the growing number of people willing to have a pop at circumventing the "justice system" in one way or another is reducing the tax gathering ability of the "justice system". It's also exposing the totally corrupt nature of the beast to an ever widening number. Having the beak scream "I am not here to answer your fucking questions!!!" will do that for most people. Especially when he has just told you he is. :rolleyes:

It's being sold to the public as needed for more serious crime but it's really for the cash, same as taking your licence away with no trial and all the rest of it.
  • Options
    Prison never helped anyone. O.k for sick criminals, murderers, rapists.... lock them up they are difficult to help and we need to protect people like us. But for silly petty crimes, most of which are just a cry for help, instead of locking them up why cant they be put into the army for a while to straighten them out?
  • Options
    We already have a guilty till proven innocent with the assest sesiure law and the rest of the laws are moving that way too.

You look dodgy and you go to a Mosque where we say there are extremists so clearly you are guilty.
  • Options
    Thye want to hold suspect for 3months without charge as well....

3 bloody months in the cells when they haven't even got the evidence to make a charge!!!

At the mo it is only something like 2 weeks I think...........
  • Options
    It is 24 hours at first, then they have to go infront of a judge and ask for another 12, then another 12, then it can be every 24 hrs for a maximum of two weeks.

What I am interested in is, if someone gets locked up for three months and then released without charge, will the Police get their job back for them?
  • Options
    I doubt it BB, but they may take their house away as an added service.