Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

art removed from tate over religious offence

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Daft.

Pretty good statement there... its true IMHO too. Why are so many people so woried about religious offence that ANYTHING can be banned over it these days.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A little on the presumptive side for sure, but I was under the impression that destroying a relgious book would be offensive to each of the religions, not just Islam...
  • Options
    Not an expert on this but I believe its particually offensive if it is the koran - they even have rules about touching it with unclean hands, so I imagine ripping it in half is even more so.

The Koran is the literal word of God, whereas the Bible is only inspired by God.
  • Options
    No, the bible is the Word of God, not just inspired by God.

Religious texts aside, I think that all books should be treated with more respect than to be torn up to make some (totally inaccurate) artistic statement.

Books get damaged by accident for sure, but deliberate maltreatment should be a crime.
  • Options
    Not what I was taught at Church, which is why there is a King James Bible which is different from the Good News.
  • Options
    That's facinating.
  • Options
    what about to those who find it just a book, i should write a sacred book which offends me anytime someone looks at it or something
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    That's facinating.

Or even fascinating. Happy to oblige.
  • Options
    It should have been banned because it sounds like a crappy piece of art, not because some poor little person might find it offensive.
  • Options
    It should have been banned because it sounds like a crappy piece of art, not because some poor little person might find it offensive.
    its actually a good piece of art showing the shared roots of christinaity, judaism and islam - as well as the division that has existed also
  • Options
    No, I hate it when religious... or any form of art is banned, the same with literature.

If you find it offensive then don't go and see it, simple as... But if we, as a society start banning arts and accessibility to information, ideologies and beliefs then how are we to grow as a society?
  • Options
    its actually a good piece of art showing the shared roots of christinaity, judaism and islam - as well as the division that has existed also

looks like a couple of cut up books to me with a little paste job done to keep em on the glass. But then again I am no art critic, so to each their own I suppose.
  • Options
    :yes: I like it. It's not a bin bag, and it took at least marginal effort to make.
  • Options
    Who was offended again?

I kinda missed that part.

Forgive my ignorance but doesn't there need to be some person offended by something in order for it to be offensive?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Who was offended again?

I kinda missed that part.

Forgive my ignorance but doesn't there need to be some person offended by something in order for it to be offensive?

Persumably, people who were religious and saw their book cut up.

We didn't remove the people the US are holding after they mutilated the Koran, did we?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    looks like a couple of cut up books to me with a little paste job done to keep em on the glass. But then again I am no art critic, so to each their own I suppose.
    Technique =/= Art.
  • Options
    Its censorship, pure and simple. Censorship kowtowing to religous fundamentalist nutters.