Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Laser Eye Treatment

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my mate had it done about 6 months ago now, he had really bad vision, needed glasses all the time, he said it felt like sand in his eyes for a few days then he just had to wear sunglasses in the sun for a few weeks. now he is fine, he has perfect vision. He now has the nickname LazerEyes or Cyclops. worth taking the risk if you ask me

eta: we were dissapointed that he couldnt see through walls etc..so dont get that idea.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    worth taking the risk if you ask me

Wearing glasses/contacts vs. blindness.

Hmm. Guess which I've chosen. Blindness is a high price to pay for vanity IMHO.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    It does seem a bit odd that someone would have to change glasses twice a year. The standard prescription is for 18months to two years, and I think that once someone reaches 18/19 then their eyes should be fairly stablised surely?

Anyway, you asked for people's thoughts on the procedure, and you got them. It seems that you're planning to ignore them though.

Firstly, ever since I first had glasses, around the age of 6/7, I have had 6 monthly eye tests, and every 6 months my prescription has changed dramatically. I was told that by the age of 18-20 it should slow down, to a complete stop and my prescription would stabilise. I'm however, still waiting for that to happen!! I had my eyetest done about 2 months ago, and now need new glasses because my prescription has changed again. (I'm now at a -10 prescription, which is just horrific.)

And, secondly, I didn't ask for people's thoughts on the procedure, I asked for people to describe their experiences of actually having it done. I didn't want or ask for people with perfect vision giving me their opinions on the subject.

Ilora x
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Wearing glasses/contacts vs. blindness.

Hmm. Guess which I've chosen. Blindness is a high price to pay for vanity IMHO.

I agree with this. I would rather pay out £300 every six months for the rest of my life and faff around with contacts and the like than risk being blind. My eyesight is far from perfect and can be annoying but I get by alright with my glasses. 95% or whatever it is, is still a huge gamble to take, especially where eyesight is concerned.
  • Options
    Ilora. laser eye surgery wont stop your prescription changing. Unless your eyes are stable then you probably wont be suitable anyway because itll just change 6 months after the op, and then you wont be able to get it done again.
  • Options
    Ilora. laser eye surgery wont stop your prescription changing. Unless your eyes are stable then you probably wont be suitable anyway because itll just change 6 months after the op, and then you wont be able to get it done again.

Very true. Your eyesight can and most likely will continue to degrade after surgery.
    And, secondly, I didn't ask for people's thoughts on the procedure, I asked for people to describe their experiences of actually having it done. I didn't want or ask for people with perfect vision giving me their opinions on the subject.

Oooo. So you didn't. Well in that case excuse us all for actually presenting you with some facts that you don't want to hear. Go ahead and get the procedure done and go blind for all I care. Geez.
  • Options
    Firstly, ever since I first had glasses, around the age of 6/7, I have had 6 monthly eAnd, secondly, I didn't ask for people's thoughts on the procedure, I asked for people to describe their experiences of actually having it done. I didn't want or ask for people with perfect vision giving me their opinions on the subject.

I'm extremely short-sighted.

You're a fool if you don't take the advice of people who clearly know better than you.
  • Options

Get off your high horse, and dare I say it - open your eyes. I'm short sighted too, how many people on this site do you think could afford such a procedure given the ages of a lot of the users i.e. under 21 and be willing to undergo it?

As I was saying, my relative was an eye consultant for a number of years. This was before she went onto work at the Medical Defence Union. As it sounds, the MDU defend doctors who have done many naughty things, and a couple of years ago, it was reported that complaints for laser eye surgery had more than doubled in the past 6 years.

You can actually read what she said, she was quoted by the BBC:
    Dr Christine Tomkins, of the MDU, said: "Patients need to understand what the risks are. And they need to think about whether or not the benefits they think they will get from the procedure actually outweigh the risks, in order to decide whether they want to go ahead with it."
    Now if someone in my family who was a consultant, and then went on to work for a professional body that defends doctors, wouldn't have it done - do you think I'd keep that information to myself, regardless of whether the person knew the risks and benefits?

So stop spitting the dummy out of the pram and be thankful that people actually give a damn enough to respond.
  • Options
    Woah Woah Woah. Why in God's name do I get this response every time I make fucking post???

All I asked was to hear other people's experiences of Laser treatment.

Why do you all have to be so opinionated about a certain subject, and then get upset when I don't take your advice, when it really isn't advice, it's just a pushy, usually bigoted opinion?
    Most of you are quoting 'what you've heard' through rumours, gossip and tabloids. So why should I take it as advice anyway?

I have done a research into Laser Treatment. I have a hell of a lot of literature from medical groups and surgerys in London that I have read through. I have and will, do my homework.

And, if, after all this homework, I'm still willing to have laser eye surgery then, it is in fact my decision. Of course I'll consider what people have told me, but when it's a 'I heard such and such' then I shall take it with a pinch of salt. And that is my prerogative.
  • Options
    You must realise, though, that the glossy brochures and information leaflets will inevitably paint a rosy picture of what is involved, and are actually worth no more than the "I heard such and such" replies that you so despise.

If you can afford eye surgery then you can afford glasses, and that's what I'd recommend.
  • Options
    Woah Woah Woah. Why in God's name do I get this response every time I make fucking post???

Probably because you rub everyone up the wrong way with your attitude.

And people have offered their views on the subject, which is kinda what you get when you post such a question.

If you asked a question in the sex forum, would you expect only people who have had sex to answer it? Would you think that anyone who has not had sex is incapable of having anything to add to your thread?
    Why do you all have to be so opinionated about a certain subject,

Show me people being opinionated other than yourself, before you went off on one.
    and then get upset when I don't take your advice,

Show me anyone who is upset in any way.
    when it really isn't advice, it's just a pushy, usually bigoted opinion?

Hmm. Well, you should be all too aware of that.
    Most of you are quoting 'what you've heard' through rumours, gossip and tabloids. So why should I take it as advice anyway?

There have been at least two posters to the thread who have given you medically backed advice. Personally mine was not second-hand medical advice but was based on my own research...
    I have done a research into Laser Treatment. I have a hell of a lot of literature from medical groups and surgerys in London that I have read through. I have and will, do my homework.

...which is equal to your own....
    And, if, after all this homework, I'm still willing to have laser eye surgery then, it is in fact my decision.

You know, I could have sworn that I actually posted my comments in this thread in order to offer my opinion by way of advice, but you know what.. with this sort of attitude -
    Of course I'll consider what people have told me, but when it's a 'I heard such and such' then I shall take it with a pinch of salt. And that is my prerogative.

You can shove it up your ass.
  • Options
    You people are just brilliant :lol: So funny. Thanks.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I agree that Laser eye surgery sounds wonderful. id love to wake up in the morning and not have to scrabble for my glasses before I can see more than 20cm in front of my face. I think it sounds great and id like to have it done one day so I can see the attraction.
    You REALLY need to take note of the fact that your prescription is changing all the time though Ilora. You said it yourself. Youd probably pay god knows how much (£300per eye is usually for people with a low prescription - I looked into it for mine and it was quite a lot more than that for me) and then your prescription would change again and it would need re-doing - only you wouldnt be able to get it redone, because the operation can only be done once due to scarring.
    You need to wait at least until your prescription hasnt changed for a few years, and by then the operation wont be such a new thing either so will probably be safer.
    Just friendly advice. Dont believe all the brochures. They just want your money.
  • Options
    one of my friends had it done. it cost £1000 per eye apparantly or it might have been for both eyes?!. they had a few minor hiccups after it was done for a few months but now has 6/6 vision in both eyes. so it worked wonders really.
  • Options
    You need to wait at least until your prescription hasnt changed for a few years, and by then the operation wont be such a new thing either so will probably be safer.

:yes:

Most decent places would recommend no change in the prescription for at least 12 months prior to the surgery date.
  • Options
    I agree that Laser eye surgery sounds wonderful. id love to wake up in the morning and not have to scrabble for my glasses before I can see more than 20cm in front of my face. I think it sounds great and id like to have it done one day so I can see the attraction.
    You REALLY need to take note of the fact that your prescription is changing all the time though Ilora. You said it yourself. Youd probably pay god knows how much (£300per eye is usually for people with a low prescription - I looked into it for mine and it was quite a lot more than that for me) and then your prescription would change again and it would need re-doing - only you wouldnt be able to get it redone, because the operation can only be done once due to scarring.
    Just friendly advice. Dont believe all the brochures. They just want your money.
    Yeah, most reputable surgeries won't perform the procedure on anyone under the age of 21 anyway, so for at least 2 years it's out of the question. (Unless I wanted a botch job at places offering it to 18 and overs :no: )

But the literature I have isn't a 'brochure' it's a guide to Laser Surgery, and includes a guide to the best/most reputable clinics offering the procedures. It also includes pages of info about the procedures and what questions to ask prior to the consultation. I ordered it from a London based clinic.

And the cost, well it'll probably cost around £1000 per eye because of my prescription and assigmatism, which means my car fund has gone out the window, but to me, not having to wear glasses from the minute you wake up to the minute you go to bed, 7 days a week, means more to me than owning a car.

Ilora x
  • Options
    And the cost, well it'll probably cost around £1000 per eye because of my prescription and assigmatism, which means my car fund has gone out the window, but to me, not having to wear glasses from the minute you wake up to the minute you go to bed, 7 days a week, means more to me than owning a car.

Means you'll stop yourself getting driving jobs, too. :p JOKE. JOKE. JOKE. JOKE. BTW.

...kinda. :p
  • Options
    Are you sure there arent any contact lenses that are suitable Ilora. I agree with you about glasses being a pain in the arse, but im pretty sure you can get contacts for astigmatisms now.
    How come your glasses are so expensive anyway. I got some new ones recently which i thought were bloody expensive at £179 with the ultra thin lenses (if I dont get these, they are like bottletops) and scratch resistant coatings. Also how come you need new ones every 6 months?
    :confused:
    They should last you a lot longer than that.
    If your prescription is changing that quickly id definitely look into disposable contact lenses that you can just get a different prescription as and when you need it rather than paying a big lump sum so often.

I got a pair of glasses the other week for 15 Pounds, some new internet service - just cos I wanted a spare pair for travelling, etc in case my normal pair break or get damaged.

Anyway as it turned out they didn`t quite suit me and sizing was not perfect - which is the downside of ordering something like this off the net but I got 14 days to return them and get all my money back - I plan to order another pair from the same company but this time using my experience of how the system works go for a different frame which should also fit better.

What people charge for glasses in shops is mostly for things like shop rent and rates - the actual raw materials for making glasses aint that much
  • Options
    Yeah, most reputable surgeries won't perform the procedure on anyone under the age of 21 anyway, so for at least 2 years it's out of the question. (Unless I wanted a botch job at places offering it to 18 and overs :no: )

But the literature I have isn't a 'brochure' it's a guide to Laser Surgery, and includes a guide to the best/most reputable clinics offering the procedures. It also includes pages of info about the procedures and what questions to ask prior to the consultation. I ordered it from a London based clinic.

Ilora x

I`ve just checked on the net and you can buy contact lenses that you can sleep in for up to 30 days at a time and their number goes down to -10 which is what you said your prescription was?

can`t you wear contacts?

Failing that there is a special device you put on your eyes when you go to sleep, as you sleep the eye ball moulds it shap to fit the device and when you wake you remove the mould and you can see normally - but the effect wears off by the end of the day and you simply put them back in and go to sleep and they remould to the shape again.
  • Options

Indeed, perhaps you should consider that question. Why is it that you get responses like this.

Is it our attitude that's a problem...?

And you got answers from two doctors and an NHS manager, all of whom have an insight based on their expereince in this area - medicine. The "what you've heard" comments also come from a consultant in the field.

So, don't want informed comments?
    Why do you all have to be so opinionated about a certain subject, and then get upset when I don't take your advice

Why do you get so arsy the minute the advise isn't exactly what you wanted?
    usually bigoted opinion?

Source or withdraw. Please point to any bigoted opinions on this thread.
    I have a hell of a lot of literature from medical groups and surgerys in London that I have read through. I have and will, do my homework.

Ask youself this question, what is the source of those documents? I sit independent or is it from someone who will make money from you having the procedure.

Look behind the statistics they offer such as "our team of doctors have experience of over 2,000 operations". You need to ask how many doctors do they have, a thousand would mean that each doctor has carried out two operations and that wouldn't be very experienced, for example.
    I'm still willing to have laser eye surgery then, it is in fact my decision. Of course I'll consider what people have told me, but when it's a 'I heard such and such' then I shall take it with a pinch of salt. And that is my prerogative.

You are right it is. Just remember that, if [heaven forbid] something bad happens.

Remember that people here pointed out the pitfalls and don't come back with a "woe is me" approach.
  • Options
    You might want to look at this, this then there is the 40% complication rate in some areas.

You might also want to read the Which? article from February this year.

Now you can argue that this is all hearsay, but each is independent and based on research. As you say, your choice.
  • Options
    I`ve just checked on the net and you can buy contact lenses that you can sleep in for up to 30 days at a time and their number goes down to -10 which is what you said your prescription was?

can`t you wear contacts?

Failing that there is a special device you put on your eyes when you go to sleep, as you sleep the eye ball moulds it shap to fit the device and when you wake you remove the mould and you can see normally - but the effect wears off by the end of the day and you simply put them back in and go to sleep and they remould to the shape again.
    Yeah that's right, my prescription is -10 and there are contact lenses for that sort of prescription. However it all gets a little more complicated because of my assigmatism - which basically means my eyeballs are rugby ball shaped, as opposed to football shaped like everyone else. This makes it extremely difficult to manufacture a contact lense in the shape of a rugby ball, rather than a semi circle like normal. It's not impossible, but it's extremely pricey, and it's another 'hit and miss' as to whether or not they'll still be comfortable enough to wear.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Yeah that's right, my prescription is -10 and there are contact lenses for that sort of prescription. However it all gets a little more complicated because of my assigmatism - which basically means my eyeballs are rugby ball shaped, as opposed to football shaped like everyone else. This makes it extremely difficult to manufacture a contact lense in the shape of a rugby ball, rather than a semi circle like normal. It's not impossible, but it's extremely pricey, and it's another 'hit and miss' as to whether or not they'll still be comfortable enough to wear.

Ilora x

To be honest I have a fairly strong astimagtism and prescription and I had no trouble getting suitable contacts. That was years ago, and technology has improved since then, so you shouldn't have any problem getting a fairly large choice of contacts.

Your problem would more likely be that contacts would not be strong enough so that in some cases you might need a pair of weak glasses to supplement them.

Really though, I think on balance I would go for the non-damaging option.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I have astigmatism too, and last time I asked an eye doctor about contacts he gave me a big price... But I'll ask him again. I did try normal contacts and since I couldn't see as well as I do with glasses I gave them up.
    I've thought about laser too, but I was put off by the risks. Though one of my friends has had it and seems to be fine.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    I have astigmatism too, and last time I asked an eye doctor about contacts he gave me a big price... But I'll ask him again. I did try normal contacts and since I couldn't see as well as I do with glasses I gave them up.
    I've thought about laser too, but I was put off by the risks. Though one of my friends has had it and seems to be fine.

My Aunt also had it done in Canada and she says you get halo`s around lights at night but overall she`s more then happy with them - her glasses were well thick, not she don`t need them.
  • Options
    im 17 half blind in one eye never been able to see much more then colours with it and within 7 years ive gone from not needing glasses at all to depending on them i have to have eye tests every 3 months as i can only see out of one eye and they eyesight is rapidly getting worse. Yes i would love laser eye surgery, yes i'd love not to have to wear glasses but in the end if your gonna go blind your gonna go blind. Laser surgery may only hold it off a bit.

edited: plus my i get an nhs voucher for lenses and continue to use the same frames until they break and my frames only cost £25 theres no need to splash out on fancy designer frames who can tell anyway!
  • Options
    I'm actually studying to be an optician, and whilst I've only just started the second year and am not extremely knowledgable on this subject, I've heard enough from my lecturers (who are all qualified and practising opticians) to know that I wouldn't have it done for at least 30 years, when the technology, and success rate has improved greatly.

The risks are still too high, you run the risk of being under- or over-corrected, the results aren't permanent, it's an awful lot of money to be taking such a chance.

As your prescription is so bad, surely you should be able to claim money off from the NHS.

I know I'm just repeating what most people have said, but as I'm coming from a different viewpoint, I thought I'd add my two-pence worth
  • Options
    As your prescription is so bad, surely you should be able to claim money off from the NHS.
    I do, I get an NHS voucher worth £73.10 towards the cost of glasses....

Ilora x
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    1 in 4 chance of blindness, and it's a one shot operation.

Where did you see the stats for that?????
  • Options
    Something stupid like that. It's probably more like 1 in 25, and I translated it to 25% hense 1/4 in my head.