Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

is it my imagination about lefties?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
the arts ...music film theatre etc etc ...always seems to be populated by the left.
the most talented artistic people seem to be left leaning.

if my observation is correct ...what would the arts be like if dominated by the conservatives?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    This?

Only joking, i'd say they would be more staid and boring, traditional, and Picasso outlawed.
  • Options
    Exactly the same.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Exactly the same.
    explain.
  • Options
    explain.
    Well, I don't think you can define somebody's artistic output by their political affiliations. Artists these days are more often than not pretentious wannabes. Tracy Emin springs to mind.

Other than that, the whole country is generally more liberal than it used to be, in the mainstream. There are fewer extremes of left, but left leaning is the current vogue.

What is right wing art anyway?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What is right wing art anyway?
    exactly.
    right wing says control.
    there would be little or no dissent.
    no bob dylan or lennenon.
    censorship comes to mind.
  • Options
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question. When has popular art not been about dissent, or making a point?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question. When has popular art not been about dissent, or making a point?

So, art should be... pointless? Then it would ALL be binbags in galleries or beds that wern't made and bullshit.

Picasso wasn't really defying the system or anything, just using a style which wasn't really explored much before.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    So, art should be... pointless? Then it would ALL be binbags in galleries or beds that wern't made and bullshit.
    That's not what I meant.
    Picasso wasn't really defying the system or anything, just using a style which wasn't really explored much before.
    I couldn't think of the right word. Picasso's style was very different - that's the sort of dissent I meant - going against the norm of the day.
  • Options
    Arts, radio, television, newspapers, music and most of public life are saturated with leftism. The film industry in particular is dominated almost without exception by liberals, especially in Hollywood - the liberal Mecca. The whole of California and New York are infact, Democratic strong holds and I used to live there so I know first hand. But the movie industry has always been like that, as the 1933 poster of S.A.-Mann Brand, directed and written by life long liberals shows ;)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    That's not what I meant.

I couldn't think of the right word. Picasso's style was very different - that's the sort of dissent I meant - going against the norm of the day.

Ah, right, I get you now... Art is about change very much, and about many other things, but hte style is usally changing. Picasso used a stlye in a new way, inthe artistic way, changing alot.

I must say, alot of "Modern Art" though is all bullshit. There is no artistic style or statements in it at all. No skill required. This annoys me, it trivialises Art, when there is still alot of Art, and important work being done, but it gets no publicity at all. :/
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I must say, alot of "Modern Art" though is all bullshit. There is no artistic style or statements in it at all.
    fascist.

no seriously, its not bullshit, Art is personal to the artist, and just because you dont understand it, doesnt mean its not art, or not worthwhile.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

:lol: truly the greatest of all arts. lol
  • Options
    no seriously, its not bullshit, Art is personal to the artist, and just because you dont understand it, doesnt mean its not art, or not worthwhile.

guy takes a tack, uses it to tack a paper napkin to the wall, gets a couple million.

same guy makes a sequel to the original piece, this time by tacking two napkins to the wall, gets a couple more million.

now tell me again how it isn't bullshit?
  • Options
    guy takes a tack, uses it to tack a paper napkin to the wall, gets a couple million.

same guy makes a sequel to the original piece, this time by tacking two napkins to the wall, gets a couple more million.

now tell me again how it isn't bullshit?
    Just because you dont understand it, doesnt mean its not art :p
  • Options
    fascist.

Yes but most artists these days deliberately make their pieces symbolic, personal and all that and it just makes it look like psuedo-wank tbh.
  • Options
    I suppose if you think of using art to push boundaries and all that guff, then I guess it's lefty by default otherwise you'd just have centuries of the same thing.

For the record, Picasso was shit. There's a reason he only sold one painting during his life.

And I thought this was all about left-handed people...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yes but most artists these days deliberately make their pieces symbolic, personal and all that and it just makes it look like psuedo-wank tbh.

Pseudo-wank is the best name for it :yes:

Was talking to a friend the other day and she was raving on about people using art to excuse their own depravity - cross sections of cows etc - and I tend to agree. People without talent creating the absurd and using depravity to draw attention to their shitty art - pathetic and uninspired imho.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Just because you dont understand it, doesnt mean its not art :p

I dissagree. :mad:

;)
  • Options
    Sawing a cow in half may be taxidermy, but I wouldn't call it art.

The thing with modern art is that apart from a few dozen people, no-one would regard it as having any artistic merit whatsoever. The trouble is these few dozen include the several who are willing to pay hundreds of thousands for ofen literal crap.
  • Options
    I suppose if you think of using art to push boundaries and all that guff, then I guess it's lefty by default otherwise you'd just have centuries of the same thing.

For the record, Picasso was shit. There's a reason he only sold one painting during his life.

And I thought this was all about left-handed people...

Picasso used a stlye which isn't used in the western culture, but is used in other countries for drawing. They draw all sides of an object, unlike us. Ifthey draw an elephant, they draw it erm... not sure how do describe it because im not bought up to think that way.

But if they see a traditional, side on picture of an elephant, it doesn't look like one to them. They draw four legs, two eyes, two ears, etc all on it.
  • Options
    Oh, and to continue about modern art:

Art should take skill. Playing football profesionally takes skill. Driving a racing car, the same. And so forth.

Putting an full bin-bag in the tate modern takes no skill. At all. Nor an unmade bed. Hell, the cleaners took the binbags out thinking they were actuall rubbish. I am going to put my first car in the tate modern, once i finish with it, not clean it, leave the rubbish in it, fag ends, etc in the sah tray... and say some bullshit aobut it representing modern life and the stress of day to day living... and get rich.

If I do, I shall then buy myself alot of vodka and drink until I die, knowing all hope is lost.
  • Options
    All art is shit.
    I mean, all it is is a bit of fucking paint on some paper.
    Call that art????
  • Options
    and dont get me started on literature.
    All it is is page after page of WORDS.
    nothing to it. One word after another.

ANYBODY could do it.

shakespeare was an imbecile.
  • Options
    shakespeare was an imbecile.

ah sarcasm, truly the greatest if not the single true art. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    All art is shit.
    I mean, all it is is a bit of fucking paint on some paper.
    Call that art????

The argument falls down when you realise that NOT anyone can actually paint. But anyone can put rubbish in a bin-bag.
  • Options
    why are you talking about art?

anyway i like art but most contemporary art i dont see the value. but this is how i see thinigs...

art is basically art because it is recognised by the art world, by the promnent figures in the art world. the contemporary artists have proven themselves before to be capable of doing the more traditional concepts of art, eg sculpting, painting. these artists, always looking for new forms of art, which in my opinion is about the ego ie they want to be recognised as a founder/pioneer of a new art form, like monet or picasso.

having said that, though, a lot of the shit i see in tate and other modern art galleries are junk. skillful junk.

whatever man.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    The argument falls down when you realise that NOT anyone can actually paint. But anyone can put rubbish in a bin-bag.

youre talking about a few individual peoples work. Its hardly what all art is like. Art is completely subjective. Youd probably hate half the stuff I like. Mr Brite thinks I have awful taste in art, but i cant stand all those pretty pictures and landscapes... yes they may have taken real talent to paint like that, but i dont get anything from it. Just because you may think Tracy Emin or Damien hirst are crap, Art is in the eye of the beholder.
    Its one of my pet hates when someone slags off 'modern art' as not being as good as posh paintings, but I guess if youve got one of those types of closed minds, or are uncreative, then its not something you can teach someone.
  • Options
    i don't think you can make a sweeping statement about "art" because it encompasses so many different aspects of well, life.......i'd agree that art is subjective, and that not everyone might see the same thing as the painter/sculptor/whatever, but surely the point of "popular" art is that a larger number of people can appreciate it, because the talent or meaning is undeniable, and that is what is missing with a lot of art these days.......i don't claim to be an expert but i have been to a few university art exhibitions, and although i'm about as artistic as a binbag the stuff i've seen there is real art to me, just blows your mind......i'm more into sculptures myself.......
  • Options
    Art, culture, blah blah blah.

Fact is, the bits of the brain that are the centres of "art" and creativity are also the bits that govern shit like empathy, relationships and emotion in general.

On the other hand, the bits of the brain that have to do with logic, systems and order are on the other hemisphere - the "cold" bit of the brain.

This means that if you are good at "creative" stuff you are going to be more empathetic and therefore more "left" leaning politically. It's down to brain operation, not mystical forces.

On the subject of art, everything is what you want it to be. The fact that you don't agree is something that you want. :)

The claim of art is that it's difficult to understand what the artist is aiming for - be it multi dimensional paintings or sharks being pickled, and only those who understand the history of art - from it's roots in caves in france to the modern Emin stuff can appreciate what is happening now. The impregnability of it is seen by those in the circles as proof of worth. :rolleyes:

Elitist crap of course, because your opinion is much more valuable to you than mine is. Vice versa too.
  • Options
    I just think art is something that should require some sort of skill or talent. I don't mind change or new things... I just think that an unmade bed... what sortof statement is it making? Not all Modern art is toss in my opinion - just a fair amount of it. Bin Bags, I just don't get. Nor an unmade bed. However, some of the things I do like.
    http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/jandecock/about.shtm
    I like that.