Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Risk

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today in Marks and Spencer's I picked up a leaflet for Wedding Insurance. Apparently they will pay you back if your photos don't come out well or if the wedding car doesn't turn up.

Are we becoming too risk averse in this country? Must we insure every life activity, 'just in case'?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I saw the exact same leaflet in M&S earlier this week, and it quite surprised me.

I think people are just getting increasingly paranoid that things will go completely wrong, it doesn't seem like there is much faith in anything within society today.
    Well, to be fair, your wedding day is one of those days where you want everything to go right (even if 1 thing goes wrong). I'd be really really upset if my wedding pictures didn't come out. Not sure if I'd fork out for insurance though.
    so if the pictures come out bad you get ex ammount of quids?
    in what way does x ammount of quids compensate you for having bad pics?
    Quite. It's one of those "compensation culture" things.

Apparently a "risk analysis" had been carried out before that nurse gave a contraceptive injection in McDonald's, and the girl in question was at "immediate risk" of becoming pregnant.

A slight tangent, but we seem unable to deal with any sort of risk these days. We must take pre-emptive action, or insure for potential losses.
    If I was spending 20k on a wedding I think I would insure it for definate, i'd be devestated putting all that effort into organising it and saving up for it all for something to go wrong! I would want compensation!
    Pink_Angel wrote:
    If I was spending 20k on a wedding I think I would insure it for definate, i'd be devestated putting all that effort into organising it and saving up for it all for something to go wrong! I would want compensation!
    I guess this is my point.
    Compensation transforms the “shit happens” mentality into “if shit happens I’m covered”. Whether that’s a good thing or not I’m too drunk to try fathom.