Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Confusing Boyfriend!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been with my boyfriend for 7 & a half months now & I love him to bits. He's my best friend as well & I couldnt imagine my life without him.
But this week has been a manic week for us & now he's really confused me with his behaviour & I dont know what's going on.

It started at the beginning of the week because we've just moved back to University (we go to the same Uni) & I always tend to get very homesick at first & I stupidly got myself really upset & cut myself which I've never ever done before. My boyfriend dropped everything for me & came around & we had a long chat. He was really good & understanding as he used to cut himself when he was younger. But the next few days he wouldnt leave me on my own & was always phoning to check up on me. I can understand him worrying cuz i'd be exactly the same if it was the other way around.

Anywayz on Wednesday night, we went out & got drunk & he proposed to me. I think it was the drink talking but it really freaked me out & I just laughed it off. Then he was saying that he knew I was the one & that we'd get married & have children, etc.

Thursday, I hardly saw him apart for a couple of hours & I wanted to stay in & have an early night & spend some time with him & he was saying he'd rather go out with the lads. I got a little peeved off with him about that then he started saying how he could never win & if he stayed in with me, he'd miss out on time with the lads & if he went out without me, he'd be worrying all night if i was okay although I've promised I would never ever hurt myself again & that it was just a one off because of all the stress of moving into a new house & starting a new year of Uni. But luckily enough his housemates stayed in & he spent all his time playing polka ignoring me & I went to bed minus him.

Then out of the blue on Friday morning, he tells me he wants some space which is the worst thing I could have right now. I need support but he says he wants to spend time with his lads mates minus me which i understand to a point but then he carried on to say he didnt want to see me every single day even though we live 10 minutes away from each other. I've had to come back home for the weekend & he's asked me to not contact him for the whole weekend.

I dont know whats going on with him! Its gone from not leaving me alone to wanting space in a matter of days. Its not like i've been clingy with him because I've let him have his space this week apart from a few texts. Do you think it's his friends who have said certain things to him? Or is it something I've done? Please help! I'm so confused & I really don't know what to say to him when I see him next.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I reckon he coulda been serious about the proposal..and you laughing it straight back at him may have not only hurt his feelings but knocked his confidence..he just needs a bit of time to think about things..im not saying don't have contact, but don't aggrivate him with over contact!
    Yeah I think he must be feeling kind of rejected. I mean, he offered his kindness and stuff, and you didn't fully accept it. I'm not saying it's your fault, because it isn't. As Mekhi said, just allow him the space. He needs to bide his time and think things through most likely. He obviously deeply cares for you, and I doubt that he'd throw away his relationship with you over this. :)
    Yeah, it's definitely sounding like a rejection thing...probably best to have a chat with him about it, prevent his ego from taking a hit - "i was really flattered" type stuff ;).
    Ohh thanks!
    I have just texted him to see if he's okay & he says he misses me! I'll make sure we have a proper chat tomorrow!
    I think he felt hurt at your rejection when he proposed.
    What's not fair enough about any of this?