Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Baby Snot

This question is following a disturbing discussion the girls in my class and I had last ethical issues class. They say that if a baby has a blocked nose then your ment to suck out the snot. Now I say babies have months just like big people and they can use it to breath with. They seem to think that its perfectly normal to suck on a babies nose and then spit out the snot. To me its just stomach turning and I spent the whole of that discussion almost throwing up.

Am I the only one that thinks this is gross!!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, if you have to (which I never have heard of and i'm a father), then would you rather do it or leave it and let the baby sufocate?
  • Options
    ;o suck out snot?!
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    ;o suck out snot?!

Yeah, apparently some people do that. But most sensible people take their kids to the hospital and have a machine suck it out instead.

I read it in Angela's Ashes, and I was like OMFG NO WAY. But, it was the early 40s in Limerick.
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    Now I say babies have months just like big people and they can use it to breath with.

Yeah, but babies don't know when their tummies are full and that's usually why they throw up after feeding. So, babies won't have the mentality to breathe through their mouths if they're really, really young and thick. :p
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    Yeah, but babies don't know when their tummies are full and that's usually why they throw up after feeding. So, babies won't have the mentality to breathe through their mouths if they're really, really young and thick. :p

Babies are probably the stupidest form of creature if you think about it hard enough....

Too cute to resist though :blush:
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Babies are probably the stupidest form of creature if you think about it hard enough....

Too cute to resist though :blush:

Ahh, of course! Little rosy chubby cheeks, tiny rosy lips and big blue eyes and wee wisps of hair. AHHH! SO bonny.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    breathing is instinctive.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    breathing is instinctive.

Yeah I know, but babies don't have the mentality to breathe through their mouths early on..

"Nose
    Because newborns tend to breathe through their noses and their nasal passages are narrow, small amounts of nasal fluid or mucus can cause them to breathe noisily or sound congested even when they don't have a cold or other problem. Talk with your baby's doctor or health care provider about the use of salt-water nose drops and a bulb syringe to help clear the nasal passages if necessary. "

From - http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_newborn/pregnancy/newborn_variations.html

ETA - Well, not mentality perse, but their respiratory system isn't developed as best as it can be because they really relied on an umbilical cord and stuff.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:

"Nose
    Because newborns tend to breathe through their noses and their nasal passages are narrow, small amounts of nasal fluid or mucus can cause them to breathe noisily or sound congested even when they don't have a cold or other problem. Talk with your baby's doctor or health care provider about the use of salt-water nose drops and a bulb syringe to help clear the nasal passages if necessary. "

From - http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_newborn/pregnancy/newborn_variations.html

which is preferable to sucking snot out :sour:
  • Options
    which is preferable to sucking snot out :sour:

That's the plan! :p
  • Options
    i've got a 3 and a half month old nephew and last time i saw him he had a bit of a snotty nose but it wasn't wet it was all hard so my sister tried to get it out with the tweezers! it was only at the very end of his nose so don't be thinking she's cruel! he didn't like it (don't know why!) and the babies dad is a paramedic and he said it'd be okay. they were going to try a suction thing but not sure if they did.
  • Options
    I'm a children's nurse and in the winter the ward is full of babies with snotty noses. Breating is an instinctive action, even babies breathe through their mouth when their nose is blocked...they are never too young!!The only problem they have is feeding...it is very hard for them to feed and breathe through their mouth at the same time...which is why some end up in hospital and need feeding through a tube (down their nose and into their stomach).

As for sucking snot out :yuck: most parents i know of use cotton buds to try and clear the entrance of babies nostrils :yes:
  • Options
    God what a load of wusses! Get a grip and get sucking!
  • Options
    I was going to quote Angela's Ashes too
  • Options
    Ive never heard of sucking the snot out of a babys nose, but I guess everyones got to have a hobby?
  • Options
    cotton buds? surely that just pushes it back more?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    When I was about 3-5 my mum used to use a thing like a plastic baloon to do that (press it, put it in the nose then let go so it'll suck it out). Luckily she never used her mouth! :yuck:
  • Options
    Ive never heard of sucking the snot out of a babys nose, but I guess everyones got to have a hobby?
    :lol: Beats stamp collecting
  • Options
    Can't say i even did that :yuck:
  • Options
    Yuck. But id do it if my baby was going to die
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    Yuck. But id do it if my baby was going to die
    well yes, id suck its shit out if it was a case of life and death, but I really cant see it being neccesary. If someone has a bogey eating fetish then they should just pick their own. I have picked my sons nose before with a cotton bud or my little finger but never got the urge to suck snot.
  • Options
    Gosh you all know loads about babies... great parents you will make. How do you know what a babies mentality is. Babies are intelligent, not thick..... when you become parents you will see.
  • Options
    Tweety and brite are parents. ;)
  • Options
    Yes as Kentish said i am a mum.;)
  • Options
    I apologise to anyone who is, but it was just the fact that some people had commented about babies being thick.. which is untrue. In a short period of time babies learn to walk, talk, read and babies reconise alot from a very young age. I was suprised! Babys pick up sign language very quickly and can use it to communicate! Can something 'thick' do that.
  • Options
    Yes. Something "thick" can do that.
  • Options
    couldn't you just....pick it out?
  • Options
    What a mental thread. :eek: Sucking out snot, why the hell would I do that.

The natural instict to survive means that babies will breather through their mouth. To help them though, you can use saline drops. Worth noting that this was the first sugegstion of my GP. Never even considered sucking snot.

BTW Tissues are useful too you know!
  • Options
    i never heard of sucking out snot the thought makes me gag :yuck:
  • Options
    Maffy wrote:
    I apologise to anyone who is, but it was just the fact that some people had commented about babies being thick.. which is untrue.

You're apolosing to people who are thick...? :eek2:

Oh for God's sake, you goon. I know babies aren't thick. I just said babies are thick in jest because they don't know any better that young, and by young I mean 3 months old MAXIMUM.