Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

sexist jokes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How would you guys feel if your other half would send you sexist jokes that make fun of men or women? You know the sort of thing I mean “men are useless because….” Or “women are just like…” The reason I ask is that my g/f keeps forwarding me stuff like that which sometimes makes me feel pretty small. I know these are only supposed to be light hearted fun, but some of them just aren’t nice and I get quite concerned that this is really how my other half thinks, especially when she adds “oh this funny and SO true!”
Up until now I’ve just passed them off as stupid jokes, but sometimes it does upset me and I would hate to think that this is how I’m thought of, especially by my g/f. How would you guys react? Would you get pi**ed off and say something or just take it as a joke?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Well I must say red_jelly, Im very disapointed in you althrough this was in relationships section I only opened it expecting to read some sexist jokes (against both men and women) and have a good imature laugh but sadly all you want is a mature discuson about the social and interpersonal romantic or otherwise ramifications of sexist jokes,

Young people these days I dont know,

Q: What do you call the bit of skin at the end of the Penis
    A: A man
  • Options
    Just thought I would add..

I don't have a problem with sexist jokes as such, but I think there is a time and a place, and hearing them from you other half is not appropriate. or is it?
  • Options
    it wouldn't bother me, afterall they're called jokes for a reason and if she meant them in anyway to offend you..i doubt she'd tell you! she probably thinks you find them amusing, maybe tell her you don't really appreciate them or just delete it. oorrr, you could send her some sexist ones about women.
  • Options
    I find them quite amusing generally, both male and female. You seem a little oversensitive to me, but that is just my opinion, I'm sure there are quite a few people who are offended by sexist jokes. Have you tried talking to her about it? Because she is probably someone who finds them amusing and you have to let her know if she is hurting you, as this is the real issue, not necessarily the jokes, if you see what I mean.
  • Options
    I'd just give as good as I got.
  • Options
    Just bloody well lighten up. There will ALWAYS be some male/female banter going on - whether it's from your other half or somebody else! So what!?

Life's too short mate... Search the net and find some stuff to fire back! ;)

G.
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    I'd just give as good as I got.

ok, so I guess I'm being a bit oversensitive about this.

I think I'll take this advise, it'll make me feel better anyway :p
  • Options
    I wouldn't take them too seriously personally, but different people react to certain types of humour. Doesn't mean you're being over sensitive at all. The missus once sent me a female language converter, Ill paste some below...some of it was scarily accurate and I found it funny :chin:

WORDS WOMEN USE.....

Study this and know it!

"FINE"

This is the word women use to end an argument when they feel they are right and you need to shut up. Never use "fine" to describe how a woman looks this will cause you to have one of those arguments.

"FIVE MINUTES"

This is half an hour. It is equivalent to the five minutes that your football game is going to last before you take out the trash, so it's an even trade.

"NOTHING"

This means "something", and you should be on your toes. "Nothing" is usually used to describe the feeling a woman has of wanting to turn you inside out, upside down, and backwards. 'Nothing" usually signifies an
    argument that will last "Five Minutes" and end with 'Fine'.

"GO AHEAD" (With Raised Eyebrows)

This is a dare. One that will result in a woman getting upset over "Nothing" and will end with the word "Fine".

"GO AHEAD" (Normal Eyebrows)

This means "I give up" or "do what you want because I don't care" You will get a "Raised Eyebrow Go Ahead" in just a few minutes, followed by Nothing" and "Fine" and she will talk to you in about "Five Minutes" when she cools off.

LOUD SIGH

This is not actually a word, but is a non-verbal statement often misunderstood by men. A "Loud Sigh" means she thinks you are an idiot at that moment, and wonders why she is wasting her time standing here and arguing with you over "Nothing".

If it's too long Ill remove it.
  • Options
    Hehe, that was good :thumb: Very true for me :blush:
  • Options
    I think most sexist jokes are completely unfunny, with only very occasional exceptions. I also think theyre annoying, and of course from a deeper political viewpoint some of them are very problematic and only serve to deepen the divide.
    Id be a bit concerned if my partner really didnt get my sense of humour and kept sending me shit jokes that stereotyped entire genders.
    I also dont get why people think blatant sexism is funnier than blatant racism or homophobia for instance.
    I wouldnt get too worked up about it because Im sure there are no bad intentions when she sends them, but surely there wouldnt be any harm in asking her to stop forwarding you the crap sexist ones.
  • Options
    I think sexist jokes are generally funny...I don't think many people read too much into them tbh.
  • Options
    red_jelly wrote:
    How would you guys feel if your other half would send you sexist jokes that make fun of men or women? You know the sort of thing I mean “men are useless because….” Or “women are just like…” The reason I ask is that my g/f keeps forwarding me stuff like that which sometimes makes me feel pretty small. I know these are only supposed to be light hearted fun, but some of them just aren’t nice and I get quite concerned that this is really how my other half thinks, especially when she adds “oh this funny and SO true!”
    Up until now I’ve just passed them off as stupid jokes, but sometimes it does upset me and I would hate to think that this is how I’m thought of, especially by my g/f. How would you guys react? Would you get pi**ed off and say something or just take it as a joke?

Thanks.

Lighten up FFS.

Life will throw far worse obstacles in your path than girlfriends telling sexist jokes!
  • Options
    three girls found a genie and the genie decided to give each a wish.
    the first girl wished to be smart, and so she became smart.
    the second girl wished to be smarted than the first girl, and so she became smarter.
    the third girls wiched to be the smarted person in the universe, and so she became a man.

wooooweee!
  • Options
    the second girl wished to be smarted than the first girl, and so she became smarter.
    the third girls wiched to be the smarted person in the universe, and so she became a man.

wooooweee!

Just to see what would happen, I sent this to my g/f (which is nowhere near as bad as the stuff she sends me!) and she was not best pleased. :yeees:
  • Options
    red_jelly wrote:
    Just to see what would happen, I sent this to my g/f (which is nowhere near as bad as the stuff she sends me!) and she was not best pleased. :yeees:

she'll get over it.

Your look a bit silly if you now apologise for something you did in retaliation
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit

wooooweee!
    I've heard the same in reverse... i.e. it was a man who became a woman.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    I've heard the same in reverse... i.e. it was a man who became a woman.

Now you tell me after I paid for that operation and everything.
  • Options
    god created men then he had a better idea....:p

they don't really bother me to be honest, in fact they're usually quite boring and unfunny
  • Options
    Now you tell me after I paid for that operation and everything.
    Heh. I've even heard one with more detail... Like they were trying to cross a river, one asked to become strong enough so he swam across, the second asked to be inventive enough so he made a raft and crossed, and the third asked to be smart enough so he was turned into a woman and found a bridge. :p

I don't mind hearing sexist/racist/etc jokes really, as long as I know whoever says it isn't really sexist/racist/etc. But on topic here, she shouldn't expect him not to be bothered if she is.
  • Options
    Jokes like that annoy me.

As for racist jokes, if a person tells a racist joke. No matter how nice they are it just pretty much shows they condone racist behaviour.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:

As for racist jokes, if a person tells a racist joke. No matter how nice they are it just pretty much shows they condone racist behaviour.
    Now that you mention this, I agree about racism... But I wonder why sexist jokes don't bother me then. :chin:
  • Options
    They just seem really stupid to me.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:

Not really.

Plenty of people tell racist jokes yet don't adhere to any racist belief.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Now that you mention this, I agree about racism... But I wonder why sexist jokes don't bother me then. :chin:

It does seem odd, normally I wouldn't tell a sexist joke about women to a woman, but many people would, to both men and women, but it is anheard of for someone to tell a racist joke to someone of another race.

I wonder why sexism is seen as less serious. Personally I don't think it is, but society has another view.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Not really.

Plenty of people tell racist jokes yet don't adhere to any racist belief.

If someone told me a racist joke I'd automatically think they are a twat.
  • Options
    Lighten up a bit and don't let these kind of jokes get to you!!! My boyfriend always says bad things about women and I always say bad things about men! We all have something bad to say about the opposite gender. Lol. Well...at least I do.

I don't mind the odd light hearted joke, but I can only laugh off insults for so long. I'm sure we all have out own boundaries with what will and wont effect us. For example I know my g/f is sensitive about her weight and would never ever make a joke about that. When the person you love the most seems to not care about these then it starts to hurt after a while.

When that person keeps making these jokes over and over again you do start to wonder if this is really how they feel. "Many a true word said in jest"
  • Options
    what do nigggers and apples have in common?
  • Options
    ym
  • Options
    red_jelly wrote:
    Just thought I would add..

I don't have a problem with sexist jokes as such, but I think there is a time and a place, and hearing them from you other half is not appropriate. or is it?
    Have you told your partner how they make you feel?

People say you're over-sensitive, I'd say maybe it sounds you could be too... But if your partner knows it upsets you then she shouldn't do it.

Different people are upset and offended by different things and we can't help the fact that we are. I'm a size 14/16 but don't get upset when people mention my weight for example... In fact I couldn't give a shit, but I do have triggers that piss me off as does everybody.
  • Options
    They're both smarter than you?