Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Where's the money gone?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Nowhere new apparently?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Hardly surprising at all really, much like the transport network the Tories buggered it so its going to take a long time of good funding to find its feet properly again.

And being the third largest employer in the World costs money in wages and pensions.
  • Options
    At least half of it seems to have gone on rebranding and posh new stationary. Not to mention the vast quantities of cheap pine timber which are a common sight in these new PFI hospitals of ours.

But of course a chronically underfunded service will suck up much more money than expected - people will no longer put up with the crap when they see massive budget boosts.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    At least half of it seems to have gone on rebranding and posh new stationary.

And Government initiatives and standards and guidelines and regulations and targets, all of which seem to change every day. (Yes, I do work in the NHS!)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sad thing is, much of it is wasted.

I suppose until we get some sortof serious scandal or something we cannot expect anything to improve.

And whatever happened to out Local hospitals? WHY do I have to spend money to get to the overcrowded and under-staffed Broomfield, when we used to have a local hospital, which had none of htese problems, and broomfield didn't have to deal with these patients?

Oh yes, Budget cuts by the Tories.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Oh yes, Budget cuts by the Tories.
    Efficency savings is the phrase you are looking for ;)

Never fear, though - you'll have your local services back after the next policy change.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Efficency savings is the phrase you are looking for ;)

Never fear, though - you'll have your local services back after the next policy change.
    That'd be fucking difficult as they bulldozed it and built stupid houses on it.

Great, new fucking houses for new people and no services to take care of them.

:mad: GRRRR!!!
  • Options
    Interesting thought to consider Gerbil, but what you are seeing now may actually be the manifestation of problems which would have occurred anyway.

I'm not going to comment on the specific case because I don't know enough about it, but it rare that the "obvious" cause is the actual cause in instances like you have described.
  • Options
    I think it would have happened regardless, it was on the plans from the Tories rule and would have happened whatever, Labour pretty mcuh continued their ideas. They wanted everything this way, they were moving stuff for ages. Used to be a good hospital, too.

I don't think anything could have stopped it, it is the way Britain was headed regardless, the NHS started it deteriation into Chaos long ago from what I've heard.Then the problems all caught up with it.
  • Options
    The deterioration started just after the war...