Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

amazing i cant find it

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
sir ian blair was considering using ex-soldiers and giving them brief training to fill the current gap of police officers a la US paramilitary style policing yet its not on any news thing strangely

btw police here normally go through 2 year probation and 6 months of training

Comments

• Options
    Could it be this?

'Sir' Ian Blair should go. Now.
  • Options

I'd much perfer the army on the streets than having armed police.

At least the army have experience in using weapons often, some may also of had real combat experience so when a situation comes up, as they do, they'll be a lot clearer headed and able to handle the situation a lot better.

If I had my way, I'd rid all police of guns.
  • Options
    Loopdaloop wrote:

At least the army have experience in using weapons often, some may also of had real combat experience so when a situation comes up, as they do, they'll be a lot clearer headed and able to handle the situation a lot better.

If I had my way, I'd rid all police of guns.

erm theyre more likely to shoot people and the police arent law upholders in this country they just pass suspects onto be prosecuted
  • Options
    erm theyre more likely to shoot people

At least when you face them they wear uniforms eh?
    the police arent law upholders in this country they just pass suspects onto be prosecuted

Weren't. :(

If the loon Blair is talking to the press it's already cut and dried, it just remains for a few favours to be called in, strings pulled etc like usual.

Unless there is a massive public outcry + action, which is incredibly unlikely.
  • Options
    Loopdaloop wrote:
    Martial law, eh? Not in my name.

As for Sir Ian Blair, his "Judge Dredd" suggestion that police officers should dish out on-the-spot justice such as confiscating cars and driving licences did make me despair.

I don't like the way things are heading. Terrorism is just the excuse.
  • Options
    soldiers would have gone through a lot of firearm training in the first place and be used to following orders, so could probably adapt the polices shooting policies quite easily. Plus the experience would give them a lot of help in such situations.
  • Options
    Soldiers generally make poor policemen. And few soldiers enjoy it - if they wanted to become police they'd have joined them.

Its a crap idea.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Soldiers generally make poor policemen. And few soldiers enjoy it - if they wanted to become police they'd have joined them.

Its a crap idea.

exactly im thinking of joining the armed forces but not the police whilst my on the other hand is dead cert on being a copper
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    NQA wrote:

Its a crap idea.

Precisley... why not just train the police better?
  • Options
    training cant beat experience. whos to say soldiers wont be interesting in joining the police force when they leave the army.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    training cant beat experience. whos to say soldiers wont be interesting in joining the police force when they leave the army.

A large number of guys who do it, find it boring as shit.

Plus I think policing is different from war. Gun experience yes... police experience? No. I think driving tanks into a prison in Iraq is a different approach to what we need in London.
  • Options
    mm but they are talking about combatting terrorism, come the day, which it will, when well trained terrorists, who have experience with fire arms and explosives are deployed, police officers may not be able to handle the situation. Better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    SAS Counter Terrorism unit, tbh.

Or call in the Spetsnaz! They probably are rentable now, these days...

Throwing Axes :D
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:

Joining once they leave is different issue, because then they'll be trained as policemen not soldiers.

And when you say training can't beat experience that may be right but totally irrelevant. Armed police are extremely well trained and are probably more experienced in the type of scenarios when they are more likely to use firearms than your average soldiers. If I'm wanting to clear enemy trenches I'm going to go for British Infantry, if I'm going to making a split second decison whether firing is lawful or not I want someone who is trained in that, ie a policeman.

And the police were formed to remove the army from having to keep internal order in all but extreme circumstances. I'm rather keen the army doesn't have to patrol the streets of London (bearing in mind i'm from Northern Ireland).

And we haven't even mention overstretch. Where are these new soldiers to come from? There are still troops needed in Iraq, Northern Ireland, various UN peacekeeping and much of the remainder is either recovering from being on ops or preparing to go on them.

Blair's suggestion the police and army are interchangeable just shows that he's out of his depth and should be replaced by someone who actually knows what they're doing.
  • Options
    yeah but who does know what they are doing?
  • Options
    There's hundreds better than him.
  • Options
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:

? like what?