Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dublin in March

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going to Ireland with my brother for the week of March 15th. So we'll be there over St. Patricks day. What would you recomend to do there? Any cool (maybe small local but neat) bars? Anything recomended? Especially on St patties day. Thanks. (And cheap things too ;))
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I am thinking of goin the for my birthday which is also in March. I have heard there are plenty of bar and that there although I have never been.
  • Options
    I found this on a NZ web-site today: http://xtramsn.co.nz/travel/0,,12734-4796575,00.html
  • Options
    Temple Bar District is the spot to be..Dublins great for night life like...always something on
  • Options
    there are a lots of bars alright - not enough - but lots compared to other cities i've been to.

temple bar is the biggest no-brainer of a place to go - that's where all the tourists go. it's an area, which used to be some old hippy market or something, that is now full of overpriced bars and restaurants - BUT - it is like a one stop shop for tourists - food, beer, accomodation, etc.

the dirty looking bars are going to be the locals - anywhere fancy looking will be modern, pricey, not so good bars.

a pint of lager is going to cost from €4.70 - €5. a vodka and coke about €7. some places will charge in - usually €5-€10.

it's a safe city for locals but maybe not as safe for visitors - just stay away from the flats. dont try to buy drugs on the street - no one actually pushes drugs in dublin city - you'll get ripped off. stay in busy areas and you will be safe and happy.

baggot street has cool bars that are not no modern but great atmospheres - such a foleys / o'reillys, then houricans / hartigans on leeson street.

go to st stephens green anyway, grafton st, right beside the green, is the main shopping area and very nice to burn few hours on. this general area is safest and nicest. o connell st, about 15 mins walk away, is the biggest street and where the st patricks parade is usually focused - although they have started to move it a bit. this street is nice, but be wary on it late at night.

Generally - drinking times are as follows - Monday - Thursday - last orders at 11.30 then you can find a late bar in the city til 2.30. friday and sat night last orders is 12.30 in normal bars then 2.30 for late licences.

apart from drinking there are ghost tours, open roof bus tours, the viking exhibit, literary pub crawls (oops - drinking again!), and various other sites that served some part in irelands history - mainly relating to the struggle for independence, finishing in 1920's.

hope you have a good time but please, please don't call it st patties day when you get here.
  • Options
    Gpo!!!

;)