Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

When You Have Kids .. What Will You Do Differently?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When you have kids (or already have some), what do you intend to do differently in bringing them up to how your parents brought you up?

I think just doing something special with each child is nice, like go fishing, or spend time with them kicking a football around a park and know enough about each one so you can buy them a present on their Birthday that you know they'd love rather then simply stick a few bank notes in a card because you have no idea of the things that interest them.

Comments

• Options
    I will try my absolute hardest not to get divorced. Failing that, I would not introduce a step-parent into their lives.
  • Options
    Kate1 wrote:
    I will try my absolute hardest not to get divorced. Failing that, I would not introduce a step-parent into their lives.
    why would you not introduce a step parent?
  • Options
    I will tell my kid that I love them. Never had that said by my parents, even tho I know they do. But I will defo say it to my child.
  • Options
    When you have kids (or already have some), what do you intend to do differently in bringing them up to how your parents brought you up?

Reading that makes me sad, because to be honest I don't think I would do much differently. Not to sound happy clappy or anything, but I have had a really good upbringing. I've never wanted for anything, and my parents have always been supportive in everything I've done. In all honesty, I would want to bring up my children the way that I was brought up, because I've always felt loved and very secure in my family and that is the way I would want my children to be brought up :)

Just makes me realise how lucky me and my brothers and sisters have been really. :blush:
  • Options
    I will hug my children and not forget about them for a new family! I will to the best of my ability provide them with the things they need and just generally let them know that they are loved and wanted.
  • Options
    Because my parents came from dirt poor families, they've always stressed about the importance of education to the point that we've all developed some sort of fear of failure. When Im a mum I'm going to introduce reading from an early age and pursue common interests with them like going to their sports games n what not, but I won't put so much stress on exams because I think I was freaking out enough as it was when I was doing GCSE's, A levels etc.

My parents raised us well though, neither smoke or drink because most of the family are either alcos, druggies or crack whores. :impissed:
  • Options
    Nothing at all. My parents brought me up differently to how they were brought up themselves because neither of them were satisfied with how they were brought up. There have been rules that have mostly been unspoken and always followed and in return they are really easy going and I feel I can trust them and talk to them about anything. I've always had enough love and affection and encouragement. They've never been overbearing when it came to academic stuff and they have always been able to tell me they're proud of me.

Unfortunately the same upbringing hasn't made my brother into a well rounded and civilisaed individual so I suppose that shows that the way you are isn't just reflective of how you were brought up.
  • Options
    My mum has the "you should learn from my mistakes" mentality, and I don't think that's fair, so I'm just going to let them make their own mistakes. If I'm disappointed, I'll let them know, obviously, but I'm not gonna make their lives miserable because of it. It's their life, they'll know when they fuck up.

It'll probably turn out totally different to that, but ho hum.
  • Options
    my mum isn't a very affectionate person, so i'm going to be more affectionate with my kids than she has been with hers. i don't ever recall her telling me she loves me or anything like that, but i know she does..most of the time! growing up, i thought my mum was horrible..but you always do, don't you. i now realise that infact she's been mostly a lovely role model and as my nan says, has brought me up to be a lovely young lady (hehe).

and to the person who remarked about the step-parent, why not? i have the best step-dad i could ever wish for and he's by no means done me any harm. the opposite infact.
  • Options
    I don't think I'd change much. I'd be more open to discussions about sex etc, I think that's all.
  • Options
    I just think I'll be a bit more open-minded (though depending on how sensible/intelligent my child is).
    I also think I'll be quite an impatient parent. My mum doesn't yell or take notice of anything. She's like in a world of her own.
  • Options
    make sure that if they ever had problems with bullies/depression/self harming etc that i'd be there for them.....my dad said i was being over-dramatic and wanting attention....he also told me and my brother he'd disown us if we ever got into drugs
    and i'd make sure my kids wont be spoilt little cheeky brats, i'd dicipline them....programmes like supernanny make you more determined not to let your kids get like that i think
  • Options
    nothing, really.

my parents aren't perfect, no one is, but they've muddled along and done a pretty good job of raising us. i'm not going to say that i'd never do this, that or the other, because it's not as easy as that, and i probably will fuck up a few times.

the only thing i will make sure of is that my kids get enough affection from both parents. my mum is very affectionate, but my dad is as cold as a fish. he shows his affection in funny ways (helping with stuff, lending money, giving practical advice on stuff like money and DIY) but i don't remember him ever saying anything loving, or even vaguely complimentary (he's not mean though, either!) and i remember him hugging me once since i was about 4, and then only cause my mum made him.

now i can see that he does stuff like wallpaper my lounge cause he cares, but it's a lot harder to see when you're younger.
  • Options
    i wanna be there for my kids. As a child i grew up in care and i wouldn't wish it on any child. want to be the most important thing in their life as they'll the biggest thing in my life.
  • Options
    I think I would want to ensure I tell them I love them when it really mattered. My parents have never told me they loved me, despite me knowing, as a child I remember an on going thing my mama used to do playfully was whenever I asked if she loved me (which I did ALOT as a kid) she'd say jokingly "Of course not". There was never a time she said yes.

Another would be to let them know there is little that could make me ashamed of them, and there is nothing too far fetched that I wouldn't understand or that I would make their life difficult about. During my times of depression and SH, I turned to no one, and I would want my kid to know that they can always turn to me regardless.
  • Options
    Nowt that I can think of :)
  • Options
    Be more supportive, and always try make sure they where okay. My parents have no idea about my depression/self-harming etc. It sometimes feels like they ignore the situation, and I dont want to do that to my own kids.
  • Options
    I can't think of what I'd do but I'm sure I'd make them feel loved and I'd be there for them whenever they need me.
  • Options
    I think i have been brought up badly at all, the only thing i would try and do differently is to be more approachable. there are so many things i could never talk to my mum about that i would like my kids to be able to talk to me about. i would also be less confruntational, sometimes its like walking on egg shells around my mum
  • Options
    I will bring them up to share their feelings and emotions. Attempt to get to know them well enough so when it comes to birthdays and christmas, I can give them presents I KNOW they will like/love. I will never tell them 'you can't go out dressed like that', well only if my daughter is going out dressed like a working girl! :no:
  • Options
    I find that quite a hard question to answer as i know what i would like to do differently but things are not always that easy in life, i didn't have a bad upbringing but my mum was never around as she was always working (single parent) and my dad had a whole other family so........... i would like to be around all the time for my kids but who is to say that it doesnt work out with my partner and i have to work all the time, i would like to say that i want my kid to have both parents but my partner might piss off with some other women! do i sound bitter lol :mad:

Also kids are difficult even now so even thinking about how society is gonna change in another 10 years.........well lets say i dont even know if ill bother! lol :p
  • Options
    I think I would want to ensure I tell them I love them when it really mattered. My parents have never told me they loved me, despite me knowing, as a child I remember an on going thing my mama used to do playfully was whenever I asked if she loved me (which I did ALOT as a kid) she'd say jokingly "Of course not". There was never a time she said yes.

:crying: It's quite sad how many people posting here have said their parents have never told them that they loved them

Do they use the word Love when they write you a Birthday card?
  • Options
    The only thing i would do differently is encourage my children to take up hobbies when they are younger such as a sport, dancing, playing a musical instrument.
  • Options
    Because step-parents suck arse.
  • Options

Sorry, missed this question until Fiend quoted it. Because I've had a pretty horrendous time with mine. My mum's husband made me teenage life pretty hellish, and has left me incredibly bitter and angry. I'm also still angry with my mum for letting it happen. My stepmum is lovely and I get on well with her, but it took a long time to get to this place in our relationship. I am still angry and sad about my parents divorce (when I was 10, 13 years ago) but I am more sad and angry about the situation with my step-parents. I feel you have such a responsibility to your children... they don't get another childhood, and I would not want to make my children feel the way I have done; that they and their happiness have been put aside to make way for my love life. The way I see it is that I will have plenty of time to meet someone after they have finished growing up; they, however, don't get another chance at their childhood. I would rather we were all happy overall than risk their happiness for the sake of mine.
    I am completely aware that this is my own viewpoint, and I certainly don't look down on anyone who does remarry if they have children. I do believe that it can work out really well a lot of the time. I have just been deeply affected by my experiences, and couldn't make the same choices my mum did.
  • Options
    as a child I remember an on going thing my mama used to do playfully was whenever I asked if she loved me (which I did ALOT as a kid) she'd say jokingly "Of course not". There was never a time she said yes.
    My dad did this to me all the time. he did actually tell me he loved me a lot, but he has this weird sense of humour where hed pretend he didnt. He used to say things like "Its so embarrassing having an english daughter" as a joke, but all it did was make me embarrassed to talk to anyone when I was visiting him, or try and fake a scottish accent because I thought they all hated the english. He now has started doing that sense of humour to my son. When I was up there this summer he kept joking that he wanted him to go home because he was such a pest, and tha he hated him (all the while smiling or laughing). I got really annoyed with it, and my dad couldnt work out why Lenny wouldnt go and give him a cuddle etc. He was just confusing him. Small children just dont get irony usually.
  • Options
    Kate1 wrote:
    Sorry, missed this question until Fiend quoted it. Because I've had a pretty horrendous time with mine. My mum's husband made me teenage life pretty hellish, and has left me incredibly bitter and angry. I'm also still angry with my mum for letting it happen. My stepmum is lovely and I get on well with her, but it took a long time to get to this place in our relationship. I am still angry and sad about my parents divorce (when I was 10, 13 years ago) but I am more sad and angry about the situation with my step-parents. I feel you have such a responsibility to your children... they don't get another childhood, and I would not want to make my children feel the way I have done; that they and their happiness have been put aside to make way for my love life. The way I see it is that I will have plenty of time to meet someone after they have finished growing up; they, however, don't get another chance at their childhood. I would rather we were all happy overall than risk their happiness for the sake of mine.
    I am completely aware that this is my own viewpoint, and I certainly don't look down on anyone who does remarry if they have children. I do believe that it can work out really well a lot of the time. I have just been deeply affected by my experiences, and couldn't make the same choices my mum did.
    ditto...i had a shit time with my stepdad. i would never put my own kids through that, although i know some people who get on better with their step-parents than their real ones. also, my mum only ever says she loves me when we fight, as in " i love you but you are such a bitch" (shouting). it hardly makes me feel valued.
  • Options
    I'd try and support and love them as much as possible, my g/f won't shut up about having kids but IMO im too young atm! ( i know shes only joking around..but she does go on about it )
    But when I do have kids, i'll try my best to make sure they have all they need, are happy where they live, with their school , and generally with everything, and of course try not to divorce as so many people are today in the world!
  • Options
    I'd tell my kids to bully the other kids in the neighbourhood.
  • Options
    Like lots of people have said I would make sure that they knew I loved them. I would also support them in whatever they want to do because my parents don't really support me. I would also make sure that I am always there for them no matter what unlike my mum who is never there for me as she is to busy having an affair :(

I would also make sure they have a good education and make sure they are healthy (by not eating rubbish). I would always put my children first.