Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ankle sprain and bruising.......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
i will stick this in the health forum as well, but i need some advice.......had a look on the web but can't find what i'm looking for..........basically i sprained the fuck out of my ankle monday night doing krav maga, and it was super swollen all tuesday, couldn't put any weight on it.....i had it raised and iced for the whole day, this morning it seemed a bit better so i hobbled to work........just had a look at it now, and the swelling is down, but i have super purple bruises on both side of my feet just below the ankle.........i'm wondering is this normal or have i made it worse by putting weight on it? and what kind of treatment/products can i use to reduce the bruising, or do i just have to let it heal? can't really afford to miss another day at work, but want this sorted asap..........help.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Strap it up. I hope you didn't just leave the ice on, I hope 10 on 20 off... Try to leave your weight off.

Bruising is considered unusual.
  • Options
    had it strapped up with some ankle support tape.......um, it was more like 30-40 mins on, 2-3 hours off (while i re-froze the peas)..........that won't be why it's bruised now though will it?..........yeah i've got weak ankles so i've sprained them loads, but it's never been this bad........i don't think cycling back 2 miles from the gym after it happened helped particularly.......so there's no way to speed up recovery?.......it's not just a bit of bruising, it's dark purple down both sides of my foot, looks pretty ugly tbh......can't really feel much pain though, still hobbling around maybe i should get my hands on some crutches.........
  • Options
    It's probably ok, tbh. Be nice to it, use ice to reduce the bruising, and strap it up for support. other than that...
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's probably ok, tbh

That's all i wanted to hear thanks, i hate self-diagnosis based on a google search, i just tend to fear the worst..........just spoke to my flatmate who recently had a very similar injury, he said he had bruising exactly like mine and took a few weeks to clear up, as long as i can walk on it i don't really mind..........i really hate being crippled, spending all day in bed frustrates the hell out of me, makes you appreciate what you have i suppose........
  • Options
    i had the same happen to me 3 months back landing awkwardly playing footy. it isnt just a sprain mate. you have overstretched your ligaments. i drove for two days after, but it got worse, brusing appeared. had to borrow crutches for 2 weeks, and spent a further 2 week hobbling. i was driving 3-4 weeks after it did it, walking normaly after 4-5. still cant run full speed yet though. i can jog, but i need to get it stronger before any sport such as football or basketball or tae kwondo. ligaments can take up to 6 months to get back to a strenghened state.

i went to a physio clinic too, and they lent me a wobbleboard and said that i should have excercised it a bit more so it didn't stiffen up as much as it did.

sorry mman, i know its a shitter, but you got to keep it rested for a bit, without letting it stiffen up. you'll need crutches too. oh yeah, and i was is need of some pain relief fro about the 4th day for over a week. anti swellants should work better than normal pain killers, although i was pretty much imune to strong ibuprofens, and cocodamol (codine + paracetamol) worked a treat.

that should help. ive been readin these boards for a bit, but i felt this one needed a reply.
  • Options
    dude.........please.......don't say that........my foot does look exactly like yours as well, ffs.......i dont think it can be so bad though, i can't feel any pain so are you saying it's only a matter of time?........i got a week off work next week, i don't plan on spending it in bed.........i'll try the exercises......
  • Options
    I'd go with him tbh. I'm not an expert in ankles.
  • Options
    hmm ill stay positive, mind over matter and all that, might pop down to the GPs tomorrow and get some advice, although I am wary about doctors in general, foots feeling better already actually.........ho hum.
  • Options
    I would advise against kidding yourself, tbh. I had no idea that the bruising was that bad.
  • Options
    the bruising is just a pool of blood collecting at the bottom of your foot. keep it raised and the bruising dies down. i didnt keep it raised much though, and i ended up getting blood collecting around my toes.