Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Aargh my straightened hair NEVER stays straight!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have naturally frizzy curly hair and although I straighten every morning, use straightening serum, calming conditioner etc etc, it ALWAYS starts flicking out after about an hour of leaving the house, even on bone dry days. I have layers as well so this is not a good look!! Does anyone have the same problem and any miracle cures??

Comments

• Options
    Are you straightening it gradually? It's easier to clip some hair up and do the underside first,then the top layers and it lasts longer.
  • Options
    I do mine in bits. I like tie it half up and half down then do the bottom then tie that in a pony at the bottom of my neck then do a bit more and add that to my pony tail at the bottom of my neck. Etc. It stays straight then unless it gets wet.
  • Options
    Also, what straighteners have u got?
  • Options
    sometimes t he products you use on your hair can make it more prone to frizz. my hair used to be like that but now i use a charles worthington product by their q&a frizz range and it's called double-dose super-control straightening balm. it comes in a spearminty green tube.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies, I have GHD straighteners and yes I do straighten in small sections, I just have completely wild and unruly hair I think! I use VO5 straightening gel and Frizz Ease, but maybe Ill try that Charles Worthington stuff-is it expensive?
  • Options
    it's around £5-6 but well worth it. mine's lasted ages. i get it from boots and i think they've got a 3 for 2 on all haircare products at the minute.
  • Options
    Hmm.

When you say it 'flicks out' what exactly do you mean? Do you mean it's sitting on your shoulders and the bottom flicks up or that you get 'fly away' bits of hair? If it's the latter I would recommend a good hairspray.

I would also suggest that you get a cut that doesn't have layers or feathering as this won't help. If your hair is particulalry frizzy (as mine is) then a feather effect cut isn't going to help tame the frizz. Grow out your layers and have it all one length. You can keep some shaping around your face but definately don't have choppy layers cut into the back of your hair.
  • Options
    My wife uses kofo straighteners, does it in sections and the products she puts in are loreal studio hot straight (in a pink bottle), hairspray (sprayed befora and after) and some serum to smooth on to stop frizziness! Shes got really curly frizzy hair but this works well! (when she doesn't do it her hair goes all poofey lol)
  • Options
    hairspray (sprayed befora and after)

you should never ever ever ever spray hairspray on your hair before you use heated styling tools on it. :no: It will burn the hairspray onto your hair, and in the long run cause even more damage than if you use ordinary styling products.

I agree. Its more the cut than anything else. If its frizzing up go for products that protect again heat styling and humidity, and take your time with it. Also, straightening it the day after you wash it will keep it straighter for longer, because straightening hair just after you wash it, will make it harder to style and keep straight! :)
  • Options
    you should never ever ever ever spray hairspray on your hair before you use heated styling tools on it
    :yes:
    I did that for a year, and my hairs REALLY fucked up now. I had to get loads cut off and now I can't do anything with it anymore :( especially straightening - it just doesn't work.
  • Options
    Also, straightening it the day after you wash it will keep it straighter for longer, because straightening hair just after you wash it, will make it harder to style and keep straight! :)

I definately agree with this. Letting your hair dry naturally and then straightening it the next day is the way to go! :thumb:
  • Options
    ooo i find that if i dry my hair, then straighten it the next day, like if i go to bed, it goes horrible and doesnt stay straight! whereas if i dry my hair then striaghten it before i go to bed it will b lovely jubly the next day!! then agen GHDs also dont keep my hair straight soo i guess my hairs just strange lol,cant you get like straightening hair shampoo's and things? iv heard they can be quite good tbh. mind you many of those products dont actually work! x
  • Options
    x~*Nat*~x wrote:
    ooo i find that if i dry my hair, then straighten it the next day, like if i go to bed, it goes horrible and doesnt stay straight! whereas if i dry my hair then striaghten it before i go to bed it will b lovely jubly the next day!! then agen GHDs also dont keep my hair straight soo i guess my hairs just strange lol,cant you get like straightening hair shampoo's and things? iv heard they can be quite good tbh. mind you many of those products dont actually work! x

If your hair doesn't stay straight with GHD's I would suggest you talk to a stylist about chemically relaxing your hair. :)
  • Options
    lol noo dont get me wrong my hairs not extremely curly or owt, wen i dry it theres just a couple of waves,i only use straighteners so its not quite so big lol, but i just find GHD's crap tbh,they dont keep my hair sleek if you know what i mean, i know alot of people dont find them how i do but different straighteneres suit different peoples hair, iv got some mint ones off the internet that my hair just refuses to go anything but polker straight with wind rain or shine lol =D
  • Options
    my friends hair is like that. She has wavy hair but the bit at the front goes really curly, and even when she straightens it, it lasts about 10 minutes before pinging back curly again. Even when the hairdresser straightens it for her!
    its got a mind of its own.
  • Options
    :) Hair can be a pain! Mine is slightly wavey and have problems controlling it. It goes mental in the rain! Use serums and straighteners too. Even hairdressers have trouble with my hair. Hard to deal with!
  • Options
    My hairs naturally wavy-ish and I recently bought some Lee Strafford straight products at the boots 3 for 2 thing and they seem to be workin really well. The 'shine on' spray is especially good.. Makes your hair shiney and a lot tamer. I used to get frizzy bits at my parting but they seemed to have gone away now. It costs about 5 pounds I think, and imo its worth it.
  • Options
    why not just put some mousse in it and let it be curly?
  • Options
    x~*Nat*~x wrote:
    iv got some mint ones off the internet that my hair just refuses to go anything but polker straight with wind rain or shine lol =D
    When you say u bought them from the net, did u get them from ebay? because ghds are known to lose quality after a year or so (they don't heat up to as high temps, etc) so if they were second hand this could b the case. ghds should really be replaced every 12-24 months from what I've heard depending on your hair and how often you use them.
  • Options
    i've had my ghd's 2 1/2 years, use them to death and they're still in tip top condition!
  • Options
    lausie wrote:
    ghds should really be replaced every 12-24 months from what I've heard depending on your hair and how often you use them.
    According to whom!?

At nearly £100 a pop, I'm sure GHD would love it if we all replaced our GHD's annually!!!

I've been using GHD's for around 3 years and I've been using the same ones for over 2 and a half years and they are perfectly fine. I see no reason to change them. I wouldn't believe everything you hear :no:

Ilora x
  • Options
    oh no i dont have ghd's, i dont think there worth the money tbh, not for me anyway, i got them off the ukhairdressers website, and yeah lots of my mates have ghds and have to replace them after a year lol, bummer!
  • Options
    No, I also wouldn't replace them for the sake of it just because of something I've heard. It's just if the heat does start to go, then the ghds don't tend to be as effective and many have to replace them.
    But as I say, it depends on your hair and how often you use them. And luck.
  • Options
    ugh!! i know!! this happens to me too! It's really frustrating, as I straighten my hair every day and use straightening serums and stuff like that, but by the middle of the morning, it starts flicking out and going all wavy again! It's really annoying! I use Remingington straighteners with ceramic plates, do u think it's maybe because of them?? If i get some GHD's, would that help?
  • Options
    My hair's started to do that recently. I think its getting too long- a good haircut helps.
  • Options
    anabanana wrote:
    ugh!! i know!! this happens to me too! It's really frustrating, as I straighten my hair every day and use straightening serums and stuff like that, but by the middle of the morning, it starts flicking out and going all wavy again! It's really annoying! I use Remingington straighteners with ceramic plates, do u think it's maybe because of them?? If i get some GHD's, would that help?

maybe borrow someones ghds and see?