Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Social workers

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know this is a very old post, but I have resurrected it because I am hoping to become a social worker myself, and I was doing a search!

I think one reason the Social Services are looking into Binet-Simon's case is because he lists in his profile:
    Interests - That would be smoking pot and drinking Stella

And

Anyway, what do people think about Social Workers?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I know this is a very old post, but I have resurrected it because I am hoping to become a social worker myself, and I was doing a search!

I think one reason the Social Services are looking into Binet-Simon's case is because he lists in his profile:
    Interests - That would be smoking pot and drinking Stella

And

Anyway, what do people think about Social Workers?

I think (talking from experience) that the vast majority are genuinely caring people who work in the best interests of their clients. I myself wanted to be one until I realised that you have to have loads of voluntary work before enrolling on the course and they only get paid a set amount of money (£20-25k p.a. max) no upward mobility and it's a stressful job.

If it wasn't for the intervention, valuable expertise, time and friendship spent on me by a social worker assigned to me a few years ago in Year Ten, I would have continued to have been bullied by this one girl in my tutor group, continued to stay off school, might have started self-harming and probably failed all my GCSEs. I owe a lot to that lady. All she got back from me was my eternal gratitude and friendship.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    All she got back from me was my eternal gratitude and friendship.
    That is lovely to hear. If only all children who are helped by social workers were as grateful.

When I was visiting my parents recently in Newcastle I read an article in which a former social worker gave her reasons for leaving. She said that one of the children she had been assigned to did not take very kindly to her help and he set her house on fire on New Years Eve. She has three children and a husband. They have since moved because their house was written off. :(:(
  • Options
    Social workers

hi
  • Options
    haven't read all the posts in this thread - too long :yes:

but i do have to agree: i don't like social workers. i mean, i know their work is hard, its emotionally fatiguing and everything because of the stuff they have to see and do - but they are crap at doing their job in general imo.
    i mean, there are bound to be some good ones, it's just i have never met any.

when i was a kid social services were involved a lot by school - they NEVER did anything. everything was always worse when they came around with the way my dad was. i look back now, and i think they really should have done something - it would have stopped a lot of shit from happeneing, but at the same time i realize how useless they are, so, may be they couldn't do anything. i dunno. and then again, may be i wouldn't have wanted them to do anything esp. if that would have meant being in a foster home. but then again my dad always threatened thats where i would end up in aome place like that or in a children's home if ever i said anything. but, not that i really had an opportunity to say anything anyway.

okay...so..ermmm... i don't like social workers. but at the same time they are incompetant at doing a job they should be doing, and they are overworked too so they end up helping nobody. - but, thats just imo. :yes:
  • Options
    i don't really know the ins and the outs of social work myself, though it is an area i've considered in working in. am now thinking more about probation work. my mum thinks i'd be a good social worker, heaven knows why! she's in that kind of area of work, so knows quite a few. they call them social sherkers! (not sure i've spelt that right).

the nursing (even though i guess it's not strictly nursing, but you know what i mean) profession as a whole i think are extremely under-appreciated and under paid.

changing the subject a bit, i saw on the news today that they're giving home visit people these special badges with a built in alarm incase they need help. i'm assuming my mum will get one, as she's a community psychiatric nurse.
  • Options
    i don't know. my friend had trouble when her ex made allegations against her to take her son. the first social worker didn't seem to help much and things were going very slowly. when 8 months had passed my friend was close to a breakdown and was allocated another social worker. this woman was incredible. she organised everything and the whole situation was dealt with in less than three months and she had her son home for christmas.

some of them do some incredible hard work. :)
    (please don't butcher me, its just my opinion!)
  • Options
    support is out there
    i beg to differ.
    and your post btw is spam.
  • Options
    wow what a genius! course its spam i knew that but as people come here with bad experiences with social workers they may know someone willing to help
  • Options
    Social workers Eh?

I cannot believe there have been no negative comments about these people for six years. Having fostered through an agency in London for a number of years I have been shocked at the disregard for both carers, who do all the worthwhile work, and birth families, who suffer unnecessarily and sometimes horribly. Social workers are lazy, incompetent and frequently spiteful but the real problem is they are completely unaccountable.

They simply do not have to defend their words or actions. When you make an FOI request the results are completely inadequate. Accurate records are not kept. Explanations are not given. They hide behind the "confidentiality" issue that is supposed the benefit he children not the professionals. Even the language used - they are always the "professionals" and everyone should respect and abide by their opinions and decisions - is defensive. Actually they are, for the large part, only professional in that they receive pay & benefits.

The Harringey attitude "its not my responsibility" is endemic and when they are called upon to appear in court they simply accept the court's decision and do not justify past behaviour. The outcomes for looked after children are a national disgrace and nothing is being done about it. At least the austerity programme is going to benefit the poor people on the receiving end of this incompetence.
  • Options
    Hacked Off wrote: »
    Social workers are lazy, incompetent and frequently spiteful but the real problem is they are completely unaccountable.

First of all, this is an old thread. Not all social workers are lazy, incompetent or spiteful.

The Harringey attitude "its not my responsibility" is endemic and when they are called upon to appear in court they simply accept the court's decision and do not justify past behaviour. The outcomes for looked after children are a national disgrace and nothing is being done about it. At least the austerity programme is going to benefit the poor people on the receiving end of this incompetence.

That is the minority.
  • Options
    I am new to the site. It might be better to have started a new thread. Are you a social worker?

What was shocking to most people about the Baby P furore was the attitude of senior staff involved. No one expected them to be personally responsible for the tragedy but there is a degree of corporate responsibility. The Harringey culture is not, in my experience, unusual. That attitude would never have become institutionalised if there was any real accountability. Social workers think that as long as they have ticked certain boxes everything is OK.

BTW if a child runs away from a placement (or otherwise puts themselves in a dangerous position) the local authorities response is likely to be to send them home! Despite having taken them into care in the first place. A circumstance not lost on the children for whom it is a real temptation. So much for LA responsibility.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hacked Off wrote: »
    I am new to the site. It might be better to have started a new thread. Are you a social worker?

Welcome :)

Yep - probably best to start a new thread over in Politics and debate as this is a forum where people come to get advice about careers and work rights etc. P&D is a good place to rant :)

I'm going to close this thread now - but just to clarify Melian isn't a social worker...
This discussion has been closed.