Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Trainee schemes

Do you ever find trainee schemes that are not "Graduate" ones? I'd like to retrain away from my current career (management of some kind sounds interesting).

I do have a degree, but it's far from worth mentioning.

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well there are apprenteships(sp?) and alot of management jobs entail you starting at the bottom and working your way up but there may be something out there, im not really sure.
    even if the degree you have isn't related etc. you can still apply for graduate traineeships. Although you'll find a lot of jobs are just entry level where they like someone to have a degree in anything - management's pretty general so you can get into it from a number of paths. I guess it may just be a case of getting in somewhere and working your way up rather than in a 'trainee' position
    what kind of field do you want to go into?

my company (Arcadia) provides Retail Managament Training Programmes and Graduate management training programmes - the first you just need a few A levels, the second you need a degree of any kind however its exactly the same programme throughout the year, they just expect you to achieve more if you're on the second one!

That's developed for you to become a brand/store manager at the end of the year, but this is the first year we offer graduate schemes in buying, merchandising, finance etc. So if you do have a degree there is more of an option to work in different areas of retail without actually working in a store.

It is quite good to be fair, the training in my brand specifically for new managers I've found has been fantastic.

http://www.arcadiagroup.co.uk/promostores/arcadia/flash/index.html that's the main website, just go to the recruitment pages from there. Hope it helps.
    I am interested in working within the retail sector. Do you know any other websites that give advice on this area or companies recruiting? I am interested in the retail and grad schemes. I had a look at Arcadia website and it seems they have completed their 2005 intake.

badabing wrote:
    what kind of field do you want to go into?

my company (Arcadia) provides Retail Managament Training Programmes and Graduate management training programmes - the first you just need a few A levels, the second you need a degree of any kind however its exactly the same programme throughout the year, they just expect you to achieve more if you're on the second one!

That's developed for you to become a brand/store manager at the end of the year, but this is the first year we offer graduate schemes in buying, merchandising, finance etc. So if you do have a degree there is more of an option to work in different areas of retail without actually working in a store.

It is quite good to be fair, the training in my brand specifically for new managers I've found has been fantastic.

http://www.arcadiagroup.co.uk/promostores/arcadia/flash/index.html that's the main website, just go to the recruitment pages from there. Hope it helps.
    Angelz wrote:
    I had a look at Arcadia website and it seems they have completed their 2005 intake.

Yes they will have recruited for 2005 as the new intake start on Sept 20th.

You should be able to apply from a couple of weeks time for the 2006 intake though if you're really interested.
    Im not sure about any other companies that do the grad schemes as I was an internal candidate for Arcadia which is how I found out about it, I didn't research into it in general before hand.

I know that there are other places that offer similar grad schemes (I know M&S and NEXT do, quite sure Debenhams do aswell), but not sure about an 'A' level entry scheme other than Arcadia.

There's always options for you if you got onto the 2006 to fill the next year with until you start, work wise or travel etc. So I wouldn't rule it out just because it's quite a way away.
    Thanks for the replies :) still just looking around at the moment.
    Badabing-Just out of interest, do Arcadia run a grad scheme for marketing? This is the area Im really interested in going into when i graduate next year but can't find any info on it.

Cheers
    Hiya, at the moment they are only running retail management, distribution, merchandising, buying, finance and human resources grad schemes. However the company holds it's staff's talents in high regard when it comes to development opportunities so if one of these took your interest it would maybe be worth going for it to get your foot in the door, after completion you could always apply for a position within the marketing department.

It would be worth writing to them aswell because we hold a lot of student lock-in's and advertise for student ambassadors to work for head office within the universities promoting the lock-ins, and other such events.

Hope that helps x