Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What is so offensive about.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
....The Music Man (Black Lace)

I am the music man, i come from down your way and i can play...what can you play...I play the piano......pia pia pia piano....etc!

Anyway at a European Forum I asked for my Black Lace CD to be played as it is the usual cheese that is liked by most at a cheesefest disco (the reason however is not relevant) We danced along many loved it then i was taken outside and completely bollocked and told off for playing an offensive song and told never ever to play it at a European event.

The reason...you tell me? :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    It is indeed political correctness gone maaaaaaaaaad!!!

*sigh*
  • Options
    Surely playing any Black Lace "song" is offensive :confused:

Did it occur to you to ask what was offensive...?
  • Options
    The dam busters bit is offensive?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I liked the whole Mistrels was rascist thing. And Golly Wogs... my dad has one... ffs. Stop changing everything.

I think Political Correctness is gonig to start a war... between those of us who don't care, and idiots who go on about it.
  • Options
    the tweenies version isnt racist. I cant say ive heard the black lace version, but well done for admitting you own a black lace album.
    That takes guts.
  • Options
    *DEVIL* wrote:

I am the music man, i come from down your way and i can play...what can you play...I play the piano......pia pia pia piano....etc!

Anyway at a European Forum I asked for my Black Lace CD to be played as it is the usual cheese that is liked by most at a cheesefest disco (the reason however is not relevant) We danced along many loved it then i was taken outside and completely bollocked and told off for playing an offensive song and told never ever to play it at a European event.

You should have played the gangbang one as featured in Rita, Sue & Bob Too.

In answer I think they just had a problem with you playing you playing crap music, did you not read about the guy who attacked a DJ for playing Wham recently?

I'm with the organisers on this one :p
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote:
    You should have played the gangbang one as featured in Rita, Sue & Bob Too.

In answer I think they just had a problem with you playing you playing crap music, did you not read about the guy who attacked a DJ for playing Wham recently?

I'm with the organisers on this one :p

OMG i love Rita, Sue and Bob too.

Class film
  • Options
    Dinted wrote:

Class film

*snort* That film is fantastic. However, horrifyingly enough, my mother fancies Bob. :yuck:
  • Options
    :lol: at that film. I remember watching that yearsssss ago.
  • Options
    Dinted wrote:

It was filmed on the moors right near my old house.

True fact!

I'm having a gangbang, I'm having a ball,
    I'm having a gangbang against the wall.
  • Options
    *DEVIL* wrote:

Because its shit.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Because its shit.

Truer words have never been spoken.
  • Options
    The dam busters bit is offensive?

Seriously, that's part of the song? :eek:

So, Devil, you are at a European forum and you don't think that a song which glories in the killing of Germans would be offensive to them...? Ever heard of tact?
  • Options
    Seriously, that's part of the song? :eek:

So, Devil, you are at a European forum and you don't think that a song which glories in the killing of Germans would be offensive to them...? Ever heard of tact?

Well if they did find it offensive I'm with Devil. How many Brits walked out of the cinema when the Patriot was on? Or sulked over the potrayal of the British crew over Titanic.

And as plenty of war movies (eg Saving Private Ryan) have done good business in Germany I would suggest the organisers are being ultra-sensitive

Its not like they played the entire dambusters march and went around goosestepping
  • Options
    I'm not with Devil, its obviously offensive, or it is obvious that serious offence could be taken.

Still, she loves a good moan about PC gone maaaaaaad, just like her bf does.
  • Options
    *DEVIL* wrote:

I'm a little confused (what's new, I hear you say...). You requested a song to be played, the DJ granted your request, and the management took you outside? Simply telling the DJ to take the song of would have been the proportionate response, not dissing a customer.

What 'European Forum' was this? ('Europeans', though... typical, eh?)
  • Options
    Im missing something here, Iv never heard of this song or the band,

So its susposed to be ofensive to Germans is it, terrible,

We shouldnt critersize them just cause theyve started two world wars which killed millions of people after promising they wouldnt.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    How many Brits walked out of the cinema when the Patriot was on? Or sulked over the potrayal of the British crew over Titanic.

Slightly different argument as in both the choice to be "subjected" was made by the Brit and they will have paid for the priviledge.

In the example given by Devil, it was she who asked for the song, not the people whom might be offended.

As I said, it was tactless. A little thought of the content of the song and many people wouldn't have asked for it to be played. That isn't being PC, or over sensitive, it's just being polite.
  • Options
    We shouldnt critersize them just cause theyve started two world wars which killed millions of people after promising they wouldnt.

That comment shows just about no understanding of world history.

Still, lets not let facts get in the way of a good rant about those nasty Germans.
  • Options

Erm... I doubt that anyone at the event started either of those war.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Still, lets not let facts get in the way of a good rant about those nasty Germans.

Glad your finaly seeing things my way
  • Options
    Slightly different argument as in both the choice to be "subjected" was made by the Brit and they will have paid for the priviledge.

In the example given by Devil, it was she who asked for the song, not the people whom might be offended.

As I said, it was tactless. A little thought of the content of the song and many people wouldn't have asked for it to be played. That isn't being PC, or over sensitive, it's just being polite.

If I remember its about 2 or 3 bars of the Dambusters March - I certainly wouldn't have particually thought about it ao why should Devil. The reaction seems to be over the top.

As an aside given that the majority of Europeans were on the same side as the Dambusters I wouldn't have thought they would have been agrieved by the song.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    If I remember its about 2 or 3 bars of the Dambusters March - I certainly wouldn't have particually thought about it ao why should Devil. The reaction seems to be over the top.

I guess that's subjective. If you were offended then do you think that you would consider it an "over the top" reaction?
    As an aside given that the majority of Europeans were on the same side as the Dambusters I wouldn't have thought they would have been agrieved by the song.

Strawman. Given that the majority of this country is "white", should racism be acceptable?

My point is that a song which incorporates a reference to the Dambusters (however limited) could be offensive, obviously so. It is therefore just polite not to play it in their presence.
  • Options
    But as a counterpoint - I suspect many people find the views spouted by various Islamic radicals offensive - should we ban them (probably a strawman as well).

I suppose I have two points a) the Piano Man contains a couple of bars of a film soundtrack which glorifies British bravery (not German deaths) and anyway who is offended by this is almost certainly looking to be offended on purpose b) offensiveness is not neccessarily a good reason to ban something or else we're starting down a slippery slope.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    But as a counterpoint - I suspect many people find the views spouted by various Islamic radicals offensive - should we ban them (probably a strawman as well).

Nope, but that doesn't mean that I would play a recording of Abu Hamza's rant in a synagogue...
    I suppose I have two points a) the Piano Man contains a couple of bars of a film soundtrack which glorifies British bravery (not German deaths)

You are right it doesn't glory directly in the deaths, in fact it doesn;t mention them at all. You also have to ask what the Brits were doing, as part of their act of bravery...?
    and anyway who is offended by this is almost certainly looking to be offended on purpose

I agree, someone offended by this would be showing a little too much sensitivity IMHO. As is Devil is being "outraged" by the fact that the track was stopped.
    b) offensiveness is not neccessarily a good reason to ban something or else we're starting down a slippery slope.

It wasn't banned, she can still listen to the record if she wishes. That just wasn't an appropriate forum. I can't disagree with that.
  • Options
    EXACTLY MY POINT!

that is why it was seen as being offensive a british delegate told me off personally, it was an innocent mistake to mean and someone who goes around looking for things which may offend would think first I on the other hand only thought about the fact that amongst the other shit such as YMCA, Saturday Night, Time Warp and Macarena not to mention gasolina and Ketchup song in the context i felt it was an appropriate song, I dont expect to be spoken to like a selfish child.

I have heard the song played on holiday in Lanzarote where many tourists are German and 40% of guests in teh hotel were German it was a major feature at the end of every night! NO ONE COMPLAINED!
  • Options
    Firstly I am not spouting of about PC to prove a point but simply that I should not have been spoken to in the way I was, it almost proves a point that an innocent mistake should be taken so seriously that I had to be treated as if I had done something very bad.

Secondly no one was offended (that I know of) many people were dancing to it and had I known/thought that the innocent song played at most/all childrens parties I was at as a child or that my German boss had suggested to me when compiling a party disk I would seriously not have played it so that i did not have to be humiliated or lectured by a fellow delegate of mine (no organsier/no german/not even offended himself)

Thirdly yes its easy to blame me but if I told you that I was told off for saying Christian name and surname in school would you believe me?...Probably not but it is now first name and family name, no one told me it had changed. I object to these things when I have a) been brought up with them and b) not been notified that they have been changed.

In all honesty I would not have considered the music man offensive had i not been told and to be quite honest although hearing the dambusters did not understand the meaning of it. During the week we had jibes from all coutries the turks insisted that our culture was dead, the french seemed to think our football team reflected our prime minister (sheet! your futbal team is sheet and so iz your prime minister!) The germans were just as bad we all jibed each other - none of them were offended by the song its the brits who feel they should be offended on other people behalf as it is with all PC rules brought in by cousellors and politicians.

Personally I see nothing offensive with the song apart from 15 seconds of dambusters!
  • Options
    I agree, someone offended by this would be showing a little too much sensitivity IMHO. As is Devil is being "outraged" by the fact that the track was stopped.

Where did I say it was banned? making up stories again to prove a point? I was outraged that I should be spoken to in such a way, if it offended anyone they would have stopped it! I would have been quite happy with that but the point I am making is that IT DID NOT OFFEND wanna hear it again DID NOT people were dancing copying us brits with dance moves and having a laugh when the song had finnished i was taken outside and told never ever to play it around europeans again as it may offend!

The forum was appropriate for the sort of music people enjoyed it, people danced, people sang it for days after, no one complained.

The forum was a chance for all cultures to integrate get along, team work, understanding, gain awareness of others and their own culture. I learned a lot about the organisation in their countries and how they raise money. We all got along and we could all make fun of each other, trust me some nasty things were said about Britain, England our culture but i could laugh about it and agree that our country has gone to shit and that our national anthem is a farse. I for the first time in my life considered myself European rather than the shit that has become our country. I sat in a pub and watched football with 7 countries and 4 religions and got on with everyone. Maybe we could learn from these people The Italians who are not PC at all (but certainly not racist!), the French who organise mass fundraisers and raise £1000's in a day, the turkish who are some of the friendliest people I have met (certainly ending a prejudice I used to have!) and the Germans where I met some of the best friends ever many many more people who I will never forget. The values I learned, how I wish I could live in a country where multiculturalism seems to come naturally (without the PC crap) and where all get along (unlike here!)

It was the best week of my life and a huge learning curve for me, one I will never forget. I just object to the desperation of people here to try and help integration by making us feel so shitty for playing an innocent song!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Just go and play Slayer in a Church. THAT is offensive.
  • Options
    *DEVIL* wrote:
    Where did I say it was banned? making up stories again to prove a point?

Where did I say it was?

making up comments to be outraged at?
    the point I am making is that IT DID NOT OFFEND wanna hear it again DID NOT people were dancing copying us brits with dance moves and having a laugh when the song had finnished i was taken outside and told never ever to play it around europeans again as it may offend!

The point I am making is that it could offend, which is the same as the person who spoke to you.

I appreciate that it didn't offend on this occasion but you weren't to know that before you put it on, and you might not be lucky next time. What you miss is that your lack of forethought can cause problems.
    he forum was a chance for all cultures to integrate get along

Which is why the song could be considered inappropriate.

Can't you see that? Is it really so hard to see why a song with references to the bombing of a eurpoean town is hardly something to help "integrate"...
    It was the best week of my life and a huge learning curve for me, one I will never forget. I just object to the desperation of people here to try and help integration by making us feel so shitty for playing an innocent song!

Not trying to make you feel shitty. Just pointing out that sometimes you should think before acting.

It's not like you don't have a track record around here for you lack of awareness of others, is it?