Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Naff Careers Advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anybody been given some decent careers advice? I find it amazing that whether you say you want to be a web developer or a DJ you still get given information about joining the Navy or working for Woolworths (not that theres anything wrong with that...there just doesn't seem to be any choice)

Comments

• Options
    I remember when the carrers advisers came to my school. I told them that I wanted to be a Nursery Nurse, I was told that there were lots of people training for that and no state nursery when they've finished (long time ago. lol)

They suggested that I look at lab work, but I still wish I'd stuck to my guns.

Also, they discouraged me from taking A levels, saying that I'd be better off doing day release from the lab. (Experience + qualification). I now know that had i gone to university I would have been able to get much more interesting (& higher paid) jobs.

J9

PS I wonder what qualifications you need to be a careers adviser lol.
  • Options
    J9J9- well put, I had one career dude tell me the same kind of crap. Lucky I ignored him. Grrrrr
  • Options
    When I was at school they got us to fill in a really long questionnaire about all our likes and dislikes, then they went off to process the answers and tell us what our ideal jobs would be.

Mine came up as (no joke) either a leather technologist or a brewery supervisor. Maybe deep down I really am a biker or the owner of an S&M night club, but somehow I doubt it...

Yep, we were given crap advice at our school too. But what are your other choices? You could visit a career psychologist for a proper profile but it costs a fortune!
  • Options
    Originally posted by RedEd:

Mine came up as (no joke) either a leather technologist or a brewery supervisor. Maybe deep down I really am a biker or the owner of an S&M night club, but somehow I doubt it...

So what did you end up doing then Ed?
    J9

• Options
    Following on from this interesting thread, is there anything that the board users think we should add to our Careers Section?

Please have another look round: http://www.thesite.org/careers/

If you could add anything at all to make it better, what would it be? All cool ideas welcome, even if they sound impractical or just plain crazy!
  • Options
    j9j9 - I am currently working for my local council, with no sign of leather or beer. Which may or may not be a good thing, lol.

Karla - how about the way the modern workplace is changing, people having 2 or 3 different careers, retraining, lifelong learning, stuff like that? Or how to handle it if you get 'downsized' ie sacked. Or a job makeover from a careers expert. Or how to cope when you work with a bunch of twats.
  • Options
    Karla, maybe you could consider setting up a mentor service so that people can have their questions answered by someone that works in the industry they are considering.
  • Options
    Try out http://www.channel4.com/brilliantcareers and http://www.careerworld.net/careers/careers/index.htm.
    lol.
    Originally posted by poppy:
    Has anybody been given some decent careers advice? I find it amazing that whether you say you want to be a web developer or a DJ you still get given information about joining the Navy or working for Woolworths (not that theres anything wrong with that...there just doesn't seem to be any choice)

• Options
    hi everyone, i am new to this, just wonderin if anyone can give me any advice on what to do , i'm thinkin of joinin the navy when i finish uni next yr just wondered how to go about it? x
  • Options
    Goto www.royalnavy.mod.uk

Tells you everything about the navy
  • Options
    University careers advisors are a different bread though - much more professional in my experience.
  • Options
    Shining on wrote:
    University careers advisors are a different bread though - much more professional in my experience.

True, my university careers advisor was excellent. The jobcentre plus website is actually quite useful aswell:

jobcentreplus
  • Options
    Both of you seem to be new, or thick, so I'll explain, if you have a question do a search, and then see if it has been asked before, but do NOT then drag up old threads. Its rude and very dull.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Both of you seem to be new, or thick, so I'll explain, if you have a question do a search, and then see if it has been asked before, but do NOT then drag up old threads. Its rude and very dull.

Sounds a bit harsh bongbudda.

Nothing wrong with bringing up older threads now and again I don't think.
  • Options
    Actually, it's in the good manners guide not to, and he's not being harsher than many posters would be.
  • Options
    Shining on wrote:
    Sounds a bit harsh bongbudda.

Nothing wrong with bringing up older threads now and again I don't think.

I agree, and bringing up a thread that was dead 2 years before bongbudda even joined doesn't justify a crucifixion. I mean what are the chances that he'd read that thread anyway?
  • Options
    I agree, and bringing up a thread that was dead 2 years before bongbudda even joined doesn't justify a crucifixion.

Oh shut the heck up you whining idiot.

If you think that Bongbudda was being harsh then you've seen nothing.

Seriously, shut up. Don't drag up old threads.

And on a random question, why can people not do their own research anymore? There is an excellent armed forces careers website, are people on here allergic to google or something?
  • Options
    OK, normally I am polite, but I cant be bothered with those of you who called me harsh.

I could have pointed out that its against the rules to do so, and that it will get you very much disliked by the members who know better and I could even have generally insulted you. I just explained why you shouldnt do it.

So sod off.
  • Options
    One for the mods - is there any way threads can be closed off after a period where they haven't been used (say 2 weeks/1 month)? This would solve the above problem, and keep everybody happy.

I accidentally replied to a thread the other day, which the person before me had re-opened after a long time. The date on it was therefore current, so I didn't know!!!

I escaped the wrath of the oldies, but feel it would help if you could somehow close old threads automatically.
  • Options
  • Options
    we had one of those 'ideal careers' thingys

mine came back as something like P.E teacher or Farm Technician, who writes these things anyway?

p.s. SORRY SORRY SORRY i didnt read on and realise it was an old thread :flirt:
  • Options
    It's been dragged up again, it might as well be used.

I was always told that I could be a truck driver or a farm labourer. gee, ta.
  • Options
    why is it good manners to not bring back a relevant thread, this is irrelevant so don't bring that into it.
  • Options
    analyst wrote:
    why is it good manners to not bring back a relevant thread, this is irrelevant so don't bring that into it.

Because most of the information in the thread will be out of date, people will have to re-read the whole thing again and some people will have left altogether.

That and it really doesnt matter why, the Mods say you shouldn't do it, so you shouldn't, they are the boss and we are mear users, except me whose sort of half way between.