Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Special Food For Kitty

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone have a kitty that needs to be on a special diet?

Was surprised when my friend said his was on one and he could only buy it fromthe vets - which I'm guessing must cost a bomb!!

Comments

• Options
    Our greyhounds have special greyhound food, and our dog can't eat certain things or it'll poo everywhere :s.

I think things like Sheba and Caeser are stupid luxuries. I don't think a pet really cares about the way their liver was cooked.
  • Options
    My kitty has an over active thyroid.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I think things like Sheba and Caeser are stupid luxuries. I don't think a pet really cares about the way their liver was cooked.

normally the more expensive ones contain things that the animal actually needs....i find that cheaper cat food contains more things like plant matter, which is really stupid considering a cat is an obligate carnivore....it disgusts me when cat food has vegetables and grains in it just to make it go further, they cant even digest the stuff.

off on a tangent but yeh..
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    normally the more expensive ones contain things that the animal actually needs....i find that cheaper cat food contains more things like plant matter, which is really stupid considering a cat is an obligate carnivore....it disgusts me when cat food has vegetables in it, they cant even digest the stuff.

I agree... our greyhound has really bad digestive problems because its last owners were vegetarians and refused to feed him meat, instead feeding him tomatoes and parsnips and shit. So now it has the squits all the time :yuck:.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I agree... our greyhound has really bad digestive problems because its last owners were vegetarians and refused to feed him meat, instead feeding him tomatoes and parsnips and shit. So now it has the squits all the time :yuck:.

People who try to feed their dog a vegetarian diet are complete pathetic twats. It really pisses me off :mad:
    dogs are omnivores and can digest both vegetables and meat but they need them both in order to be healthy

your poor dog :(
  • Options
    He was originally a rescue dog, so the veggies rescued him, but then gave him back to the rescue society because he killed a bird. Stupid people.
    My mums a vegetarian, but she loves greyhounds and still understands that just because you believe in something, that doesn't mean that its right for everyone else.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    My cat is on special food for its excema. Rip off shit but it does the job.
  • Options
    my pussy only likes to gobble up cock
  • Options
    My kitty has an over active thyroid.
    Mine did too-and he had one eye R.I.P Garfield :crying:

My cat eats chicken and broccoli and porridge in the morning made really milky, he wont eat anything else
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    My dad's cat is diabetic. He need to eat special food too.
    The difficult part is keeping him away from the other cat's food.
  • Options
    my dog is too fat and has low cal food (dried - mostly chicken and veggies) and my brother's dog is gluten intolerant and has to have food specifically without grains.

if it keeps them healthy, i don't mind paying a bit more.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    Our greyhounds have special greyhound food.
    Our greyhound won't eat that. Stupid dumb thing.

So we feed her the tax free stuff, Autarky. And she likes that. Hurrah.
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    My cat eats chicken and broccoli and porridge in the morning made really milky, he wont eat anything else

I thought you werent supposed to give cats milk, they dont get on well with lactose do they?

Mine was on a sensitive food for a while, it wasnt that expencive but stank really badly.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Not exactly a special food thing, but my dad's other cat is the stupidest cat ever, and one of the weird things he does is that he won't eat anything that doesn't come from a can. My dad put a fish in his plate the other day, and the cat took one look at it and ran away as if he'd seen a monster.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    If I feed my dog tinned food (meat) she tends to throw it back up.
    I feed her dried food often mixed in with a few left overs from our meal. If we leave nothing then I usually mix the contents of an egg into it.

She eats once a day after our dinner, and maybe the odd pigs ear after her walk. No bones because they jsut splinter.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kaffrin-how did you find out your bro's dog was gluten intolerant? What effects does gluten have on the dog?

I used to have a yorkie that we had to buy food from the vets for. Was very expensive but he had to have low protein food coz his kidneys were failing. He died from kidney failure after a few weeks though.

Got a 6 month old puppy and ive tried sooooo many different food with him, both meat and dried, and the only thing that didnt give him the squits was Chappie. I give him some of the Pet at Home own brand dried puppy food now and again and he's ok with that.
    For some reason its stopped working. Might have been coz i gave him sunday dinner leftovers, and then chicken peas and sweetcorn the following day. But i dont actually know what it is that he's obviously intolerant too.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    Kaffrin-how did you find out your bro's dog was gluten intolerant? What effects does gluten have on the dog?

he loses weight (already really skinny for his breed) gets this horrid scabby rash, loses hair (don't know if that's just from scratching aforementioned rash too much though) and has poo issues. it's hard to know if the poo issues are related though, cause he's got delicate bowels anyway. they think he has doggy IBS. i swear he's the illest dog in the history of dogs.

i think they found out by putting him on a few special diets to see if any made a difference. one did. bob's his doggy uncle :)