Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Forewarning the boss that you're job hunting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well.. would you?

My boss is currently (tho it will most probably take him ten months to complete it!) conducting a "job evaluation" exercise. Basically, refreshing everyone's job descriptions and juggling things around. He's made it rather clear if I won't do what he wants then there's no place for me in the Company. I'm not bothered by him saying that, cos, quite frankly, I agree! I'm really starting to resent the place and the people in the office are really grating on me just that little bit more each and every day.

I've applied for 4-5 jobs in the last week, and am now seriously looking every single day and have been talking to a recruitment agency about what they can find me. Bearing in mind it's only an admin/clercial job I want and there always seem to be loads of them about, it shouldn't take too long for me to find something new. So, do I speak to my boss - who's a very approachable bloke, but a crap manager and organiser - and tell him I'm looking and should be "out of his hair" in a couple of months? That way, at least he can work around me and get the right person in to fill the gap, rather than get everything sorted, thinking I'm staying, only to have me hand in my notice in a week's time!

I have to give four weeks notice, so I don't want to hand my notice in now and then not find anything so be out of a job for weeks. Do you think it would be appreciated, or would it just be a bad idea, full stop? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    I would never tell a current boss that I was looking elsewhere. I think that they would be within their rights to serve you notice if you did, because you're basically an unreliable resource from then on.

The four week's notice is far long enough.
  • Options
    Good luck with the job search, iv been looking for 3 months now and has 2 unsuccesful interviews. Still unemployed :@ grrr
  • Options
    I'm in the same situation basically, although there isnt any re-structuring.

I dont want to tell my boss I'm thinking of going and then stick around for months because I cant find anywhere else.

So I'm going to tell him when I've got something else I think rather than before.