Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Nervewrecking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's the most nervewrecking thing you've ever had to do?

For me it's my whole moving to England. I feel like a kid - I can't really imagine how it will be to take responsibility for myself, take care of myself, and rely on myself on a constant basis. I mean, I will be all alone in this. There won't be the opportunity to go home for weekends and the likes. It's going to be scary.
Though whenever I have thought the the whole thing through, I have come to the conclusion that it's the right thing for me to do. I can't postpone it, I would go through the exact same thing later -and I guess that all in all it's time for me to try some new experiences, and hopefully gain something useful out of it all.

Comments

• Options
    It will be brilliant for you!

I remember feeling very nervous and yet excited at the same time when I went to the USA for 3 months to work on a summer camp. I was alone and had never been so far away from home for so long, but I loved it and have never regretted doing it. You have to face up to the things that make you nervous and overcome them.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hell, I don't know.

Probably my first day at school. Shit, that was scary.

Good luck with the move... we aren't that bad, mostly. But I can't imagine what it must be like. Im sure you'll be ok!
  • Options
    Iikthink the most nerve-wracking thing I've ever done was run my sisters friends out of my house at 3:00 a.m. That was an experience.

Good luck with the move, life experience and such. :thumb:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    In the dock of Crown Court on a charge of Violent Dissorder. I thought I was gonna get bird!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Mine is a toss up between moving to Uni and getting married. Both were nervewracking in different ways.
  • Options
    I suppose having to go to the police station to get fingerprinted, give statements etc etc, and having to wait for your dad to come in and collect you is the most nervewrecking experience I've ever had to go through...
  • Options
    Going to visit the Starehe Girl's Centre in Kenya recently. My dad set it up while I was over there. It's a school for girls with bad backgrounds (being saved from child marriages, no parents, etc), and I was going there as an English girl with a rich(ish) daddy and I just thought they might judge me on that. But they didn't, and it was great, and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. W00tage :).
  • Options
    Mines been my whole a level results thing. I spent 3 months worrying about them, organised everything for my first choice uni and then didnt get in. Then i had to trawl through clearing whilst still devastated and contact everybody change forms etc organise to visit. But its almost all sorted now.

And Tal, remember if it all goes shit, its happening over a few drinks ;)
  • Options
    I found that collecting my Gcse wasn't nervewracking, I just kept it at the back of my mind :)

But back to the topic on hand..
    Most nerve-wracking thing I've done is probably either giving a statement to the police and then having him question every single thing I said ( he was a bit of a corrupt cop, favouring the other person as he knew him )
    OR it might have been my first job interview, was very scary for me, as im normally a very shy person and find interaction with people I don't know too well quite hard ( but thats a whole different story lol )
  • Options
    Jeez, I don't think I've done anything like any of you. Too young. So I suppose its just exams (but they didn't bother me).. and um, injections. I had a blood test a couple of months ago that freaked me out. I had to sit and eat Fruit Pastilles to distract myself.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    What's the most nervewrecking thing you've ever had to do?

For me it's my whole moving to England. I feel like a kid - I can't really imagine how it will be to take responsibility for myself, take care of myself, and rely on myself on a constant basis. I mean, I will be all alone in this. There won't be the opportunity to go home for weekends and the likes. It's going to be scary.
    Though whenever I have thought the the whole thing through, I have come to the conclusion that it's the right thing for me to do. I can't postpone it, I would go through the exact same thing later -and I guess that all in all it's time for me to try some new experiences, and hopefully gain something useful out of it all.
    What part of England will you be in?

I'm nervous about uni.
  • Options
    What part of England will you be in?

I'm nervous about uni.

Sheffield I think

It must be nervewrecking for you two because it's a total change of setting and you'll be far away from home.

Personally, I can't wait to get out of this fucking house :D
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Sheffield I think

Yup. Sheffield it is.

The thing that gets me down the most currently is that I don't know what to pack. I am only allowed 20 kilos!
  • Options
    dont worry, i managed to pack for China, for a year in eighteen kilos. and i hav had to pack for two distinct extremes in weather. at least England is the same all year round except for maybe a few weeks over the summer whn you'll be bAack in Denmark anyway. Seeing as the countries are very siimilar, try to pack as little of the things that can be bought cheaply over here, so that then you can fill up with the things you want to bring! .
  • Options
    dont worry, i managed to pack for China, for a year in eighteen kilos.
    You're my hero.

Seriously, I have been so worried but at least I now know that it can be done.

May I ask what you're doing in China?
  • Options
    Most nervewracking thing I ever did was last year. I moved to Spain for 7 months to work as a childrens rep. I wasn't nervous at first but as it got nearer, people started saying stuff like 'I can't believe you're going over there and you won't even know anyone!' and it started making me nervous!

Also worried myself packing for 7 months in 20 kilos but it was fine in the end because they let me have extra baggage...plus I only needed summer clothes.

Ended up having the best summer ever! So I'm glad I did it. And it really changed me as a person.
  • Options
    <you have a cool av btw>
  • Options
    I'm studying Chinese over here, it's part of my uni course, my second year! it was quite difficult to pack for me, as there were certain things that cos of my body shape etc i'm going to find incredibly difficult to get over here, such as bottoms and sometimes even shoes! i ahve kind of cheated, my family will be sendingover a couple of jeckats and jumpers, but i could have easily fitted them into my allowance. who are you flying with? if you get into the tflight and are like the first person in the queue for checking in, then they are more lenient with your baggagge than if you arrive just before boarding.
  • Options
    Resigning from my last job, and starting my current one was quite nerveracking.