Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Oyster Pre-pay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I live in Sussex, but need to go up to london at least once a month until chirstmas and will often need to spend at least a night up there. It is worth buying an prepay oyster card to use on the tubes/buses, which I will need to use every time I go up, as the cost of travelcards is going to quite high on top of the train fares.

Any advice/opinions on oyster would be great.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Yes, probably, its only £3 and it means you pay last years prices, and its easier, and you can top it up online, and there is no hassle with the paper tickets, and they are nifty, and they are blue.
  • Options
    If you live on what was the old Network SouthEast then you can get travelcard additions to your train ticket AFAIK. Just to give you another option.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If you live on what was the old Network SouthEast then you can get travelcard additions to your train ticket AFAIK. Just to give you another option.

Yeah, bust as bongbudda pointed out, Oyster Card prepay works out a fair bit cheaper than travelcards (well, once you've paid the £3). It's probably thee best option :)
  • Options
    Meryn wrote:
    Yeah, but as bongbudda pointed out, Oyster Card prepay works out a fair bit cheaper than travelcards (well, once you've paid the £3). It's probably the best option :)

It depends on the type of travel you do, if its very often in the center then a period oyster card would be cheaper than a pre-pay one.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It depends on the type of travel you do, if its very often in the center then a period oyster card would be cheaper than a pre-pay one.

Of course, but freeallangels19 is only coming in sporadically, so a monthly card or whatever would be pointless
  • Options
    Meryn wrote:
    Of course, but freeallangels19 is only coming in sporadically, so a monthly card or whatever would be pointless

Well yes, of course, but I was talking more generally about the cards on offer rather than just the quite limited field of the question.
  • Options
    I live in Sussex, but need to go up to london at least once a month until chirstmas and will often need to spend at least a night up there. It is worth buying an prepay oyster card to use on the tubes/buses, which I will need to use every time I go up, as the cost of travelcards is going to quite high on top of the train fares.

Any advice/opinions on oyster would be great.

ATM if you top up with 20 quid and go on autotopup you get 10 pounds back - but for the first 10,000 customers
  • Options
    Actually just checked and offer now extended to first 20,000

I just bought a new card for 3 pound + 20 pound auto top up - 10 pound discount

so got it all for 13 quid - saving 7 pounds
  • Options
    i have a question about trcards cards and zones. in a few weeks time i start work i ive in london and only need the central line. i leave from stratford to
    Greenford station so it is Zone 3 to zone 4. do you guy think i can get away
    with buying zone 3-4 travel card even tho the train travels through
    zone 1,2, if not i goto pay 100 quid a month
  • Options
    gladiator wrote:
    i have a question about trcards cards and zones. in a few weeks time i start work i ive in london and only need the central line. i leave from stratford to
    Greenford station so it is Zone 3 to zone 4. do you guy think i can get away
    with buying zone 3-4 travel card even tho the train travels through
    zone 1,2, if not i goto pay 100 quid a month

Possibly yes but probably no.

It used to be that the paper tickets allowed you to do this, but it seems oyster does not.

And of course if you were stopped in zone 1 or 2 you would get a ticket.
  • Options
    do you think they give deals like for instance i am going to these two stations
    no where else
  • Options
    gladiator wrote:
    do you think they give deals like for instance i am going to these two stations
    no where else

No, either go on single osyter ones, or get a period ticket.