Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

still can't decide on what university qualification i want

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i have to decide on whether i want to do the 3 year course or 4 year masters course when i go back for my 3rd year in september

i still cannot decide and theres so many differences between the 2 in structure etc etc and i cant work out what to do thats best for me in terms of potential overall grade and what i want to do afterwards, of which im unsure still :s

im not even sure i want to continue with chemistry with maths and jsut go back to plain chemistry to give myself more options

arghh im going to go mad :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i have to decide on whether i want to do the 3 year course or 4 year masters course when i go back for my 3rd year in september

i still cannot decide and theres so many differences between the 2 in structure etc etc and i cant work out what to do thats best for me in terms of potential overall grade and what i want to do afterwards, of which im unsure still :s

im not even sure i want to continue with chemistry with maths and jsut go back to plain chemistry to give myself more options

arghh im going to go mad :(

I'd go for the masters if you've found the first two years relatively easy, got yourself a good 2:1 and you're not itching to get into the real world and earn some money (I was 2 years in). Only accumulating debt would put me off a masters if I liked the subject and saw a career in it.
  • Options
    at the end of the day it shouldn't matter which course you enrol onto at the beginning. after the end of your first year of study you will have the option to do which ever is most appropriate for you..... so whichever you start out doing, you can always transfer to the other one if its appropriate later. :)
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    at the end of the day it shouldn't matter which course you enrol onto at the beginning. after the end of your first year of study you will have the option to do which ever is most appropriate for you..... so whichever you start out doing, you can always transfer to the other one if its appropriate later. :)

He's going back for his third year...
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    He's going back for his third year...
    oh. ooops. :p
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    I'd go for the masters if you've found the first two years relatively easy, got yourself a good 2:1 and you're not itching to get into the real world and earn some money (I was 2 years in). Only accumulating debt would put me off a masters if I liked the subject and saw a career in it.

i got an average 2:2 so far and improving

if i do 3 years next year will be worth 60% so i need a high 2:1 to get a 2:1 or in the 4years ill do better as its 40:40 for the next 2 years and that 2:2 will only be worth 20% but ill have less choice in what i want to do :s

such a hard balance
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I would go for the masters. At the end of the day it is only one extra year and that could mean an awful lot when looking for work afterwards (I'm presuming you are wanting to work with chem and maths when you graduate)

If you are unsure what you want to do after you graduate I would also still do the extra year as a) you will have a better qualification and b) you can have that extra year to think about what you want to go for.
  • Options
    Yes postgraduate qualifications are important for Sciencey related work.

Have a think about your career goals and if you wanna go into something that just needs you to be a graduate in an unspecified subject then I wouldn't do it as it won't be that useful and will waste more time/money of getting experience. If you want to work in the Chemistry side then I would probably do it.
  • Options
    Alan wrote:
    Yes postgraduate qualifications are important for Sciencey related work.

Have a think about your career goals and if you wanna go into something that just needs you to be a graduate in an unspecified subject then I wouldn't do it as it won't be that useful and will waste more time/money of getting experience. If you want to work in the Chemistry side then I would probably do it.

i dont want to do a PHD after which you need to do, to get a job in chemical industry, i just want to teach it for A Level or something now so atm theres no need for a masters - i know i could probably get into high end financial work if i do a masters and get a 2:1 but i wont sell my soul sadly ;)