Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Any ideas?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok...this isnt the nicest thing to talk about. But ive been ill the past few days. I mainly felt sick, had a touch of diorrhea and i was extrememly tired, with alot of stomach and back pain. But now i have got my appetite back although i dont feel 100% better and i still keep getting pains in my stomach.
This isnt the nice part-my stools seem to be black and ive just read that this could be related to IBS or bowel cancer...
anyone have any ideas whether this is worth getting checked out?
thanks for any advice x

Comments

• Options
    get it checked as soon as you can. black can equal blood, which is something you should never, never ignore.

it could be loads of things, most of them easily treated (stomach ulcer - for example), but definitely not something to leave.
  • Options
    Bowel Cancer unlikely.

Do they smell foul? Are they tarry? Certain foods can cause dark stools.

But get checked over by the docs.. won't do any harm.
  • Options
    i cant remember which it is...but too much iron or not enough iron in your diet will turn your stools black.

i think its too much. have you eaten more red meat etc than usual?
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Certain foods can cause dark stools.
    As can some anti diarrhoeals (Peptobismol).

Sounds more like a stomach bug than cancer but what else can one say than 'see your GP'?
  • Options
    Well, if you've had an unbalanced diet with too much red meat involved it could cause it...But just to be on the safe side, go to your GP