Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What can i do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi everyone,

To cut a long story short i've completely messed my A-levels up, predominately it's my fault but the 6 Form i attended for 2 years did not help.

I have 10 C-A* GCSE's (including double award GNVQ Business) and obtained a D in Business studies at A-level.

Basically i know i have no chance of getting on a degree course but after the last two years i have a burning desire to prove myself, especially to my parents. I know i have underachieved, and could have done much better.

I've just found out that Sheffield University is doing a HND course that i'm interested in, i'm unsure whether or not they will accept me, i've tried ringing them but the tutor wont be there till late next week. I believe i can talk my way in but the suspence is killing me, i need assurance that with my grades they will let me do a HND. I've read all over that they generally let people with one A-level do a HND but you never know......I'm banking that my GCSE Business and Business A-level qualifications can get me in, if not im really stuck.

I know that with a little hard work and determination i could progress to the degree. I really want to continue my education, and wish to do so at Uni - i would really feel as if i had progressed. College is not an option, i don't think a 3rd year is the correct option for me.

Any advice, assurance and/or experiences that you have had will be appreciated. I'm in a real mess at the minute.

thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    jassper wrote:
    I've read all over that they generally let people with one A-level do a HND but you never know......I'm banking that my GCSE Business and Business A-level qualifications can get me in, if not im really stuck.

i may be completely wrong about this, but i really dont think you will get accepted for an HND with just one a level

an HND is a degree level type qualification. with an HND you can do a 1 year top up, to top it up to a degree. I did a national diploma which was the equivalent to 3 a levels. and an HND is the next level up from a national diploma, along with a degree, so if you look at it that way then you could need 3 a levels to get onto an HND course.

but i could be wrong and somebody will probably come along and prove me wrong, so dont give up all hope!
    Hello!
    Just thought id let you know that i failed my highers [scottish equivalent of a-levels] and i still got into do an HND in journalism .If you can prove to them that you have the intelligiance,drive and skills to do the course they should let you on.Explain to them what went wrong in your a-levels.MOst colleges/unis can be quite sympathetic.
    Good luck !
    Blah wrote:
    i may be completely wrong about this, but i really dont think you will get accepted for an HND with just one a level

an HND is a degree level type qualification. with an HND you can do a 1 year top up, to top it up to a degree. I did a national diploma which was the equivalent to 3 a levels. and an HND is the next level up from a national diploma, along with a degree, so if you look at it that way then you could need 3 a levels to get onto an HND course.

but i could be wrong and somebody will probably come along and prove me wrong, so dont give up all hope!

That's not what i wanted to hear!

Hello!
    Just thought id let you know that i failed my highers [scottish equivalent of a-levels] and i still got into do an HND in journalism .If you can prove to them that you have the intelligiance,drive and skills to do the course they should let you on.Explain to them what went wrong in your a-levels.MOst colleges/unis can be quite sympathetic.
    Good luck !

Thats more like it ;)

This is the type of thing i had heard, those that did not acheive the neccessary Grades to get on the degree chose the HND's hoping to progress onto the degree at a later date, this way no time is lost.

I'm prepared to swollow my pride and grovel if i have to, if it's the only way then i'm more than prepared to do it.

Did anyone here grovel and have success doing so?
    Dont grovel just be yourself and come over as being inteliginat and motivated.Accpet your academic mistakes.oNly make promises you know you can fufill.And whatever you do make it look like your really interested and up for doing the course.
    I know someone who got into Uni for a HND with one A Level at Grade N and two Us. She was however kicked out for not keeping up with the work, at great expense to her, so make sure it is right for you.
    i guess it all depends on the university.
    but after the last two years i have a burning desire to prove myself, especially to my parents.
    why exactly?
    that shouldn't be your only motivation for university.
    Look into doing Foundation Courses, you'll have to do an extra year though.
    Hi there jasper, don't despair. I have just completed my HND and I think you need to know some facts about entry requirements;i know this may be a little late but you may find this information useful.

When I was accepted for an HND, I had no other formal qualifications other than two GCSE’s at c grade - confused? well, let me explain, if like me you reach the age of 21 before the course completion date i.e. if you started at the age of 19 you would be 21 by the time you have achieved your HND, you can gain entry as a mature student, as long as the course director or senior lecturer at the university or college are satisfied that you are academically capable/suitable to study at this level, this will be determined at the interview.

All colleges and universities are encouraged by the government to accept a percentage of mature applicants who may not meet specific entry requirements. What is interesting about HND courses, they are designed/aimed at people who want to further their education, but are put off/unaware or even unable to apply for a standard degree. For example a friend of my mothers (who was 41 at the time) had left school at the age of 16 with no qualifications and was frustrated at the fact that her career opportunities were restricted. She went along to the local college, who suggested that she should enrol on a HND course that they had franchised from a university. She never imagined that she would be capable of studying at degree level but felt she should at least give it a go. suffice to say she loved it, after doing the top up and gaining the full degree she then went on to do teacher training and now teaches the subject she loves and has never been happier. Inspiring or what!

if this does not apply to you, I should imagine that you will be accepted on the course with just one a level ~ although this will depend on whether or not there is a high demand for the subject you have chosen, if this is the case there will be competition for places. if the worst happens and you are not accepted and all other options available to you are not really viable, I would suggest you retry when you are 19/20 so you can claim mature student status and in the mean time get valuable work experience that is directly related to the course so that you maximise your chances the next time you apply.

PS ~ when you go to the college/university be positive about your achievements, do not say I only passed one a-level and put yourself down! use this to your advantage i.e. use it to demonstrate you have the written skills needed for this level of study and that you are more suited/comfortable concentrating on one subject ~ even though you will have many different topics to study on the HND, they will all relate to your chosen field and after you have had a few assignments under your belt you will find that they are all interlinked.

Anyway I think that’s enough on the subject, I’ve gone on a bit too much!!!

just remember, with positive thinking you will suceed and prove to yourself not your parents you can do it!

Good luck and best wishes for the future :)