Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Premiership Attendances

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
There has been so many empt seats around loads of premiership grounds even in quite big matches. Is it correct that attendances are down on last year? Im quite suprised matches like West Brom v Birmingham had 7,000 empty seats and its a local derby, there have been loads more games teams like Man City, Middlesborough, Sunderland, Wigan, Bolton, Villa, and Fuhlam coming nowhere near to filling there grounds. What is the reason for such low attendances this season?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    olaola wrote:
    There has been so many empt seats around loads of premiership grounds even in quite big matches. Is it correct that attendances are down on last year? Im quite suprised matches like West Brom v Birmingham had 7,000 empty seats and its a local derby, there have been loads more games teams like Man City, Middlesborough, Sunderland, Wigan, Bolton, Villa, and Fuhlam coming nowhere near to filling there grounds. What is the reason for such low attendances this season?

The league's not competative.
  • Options
    Prices
  • Options
    The league title is not that competive, but you only have to look back to last season to see the 4 team relegation battle on the last day. And the 94th minute penalty to decided UEFA cup football on the last game. How is that not competitve? Most of the teams i mentioned up there do not have very high prices, not much higher than championship teams.
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    The league title is not that competive, but you only have to look back to last season to see the 4 team relegation battle on the last day. And the 94th minute penalty to decided UEFA cup football on the last game. How is that not competitve? Most of the teams i mentioned up there do not have very high prices, not much higher than championship teams.

Well personally I wouldn't support a Premiership team because I object to the wages that the players are paid.

I don't care enough to argue about it.
  • Options
    A mix of it being holiday season, the success in the Ashes and prices. Although I think Premiership teams outside London pay near enough the right price for what they watch.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Prices are the big problem in the dropping Nationwide league prices.
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    i read an article over the weekend that suggested it could be something to do with the fact that there's so many games being shown on tv now. It's so much cheaper to watch the games from home or at the pub coz ticket prices have gone up.

A shame really.
  • Options
    Prices are a big problem, in all tiers of the league. When Bradford City charge between £16 and £18 for a divsion Two blockbuster against, erm, Milton Keynes, without any sense of irony, and Blackpool think its OK to charge £16 for an uncovered seat for a division Two game, then you know something is up.

It costs me £20 a month to get as much Sky football as you could shake a big stick at. I'd get 70 minutes of Premiershit football for the same price, and that's before I start paying for children. I prefer watching live games, but I remember Bradford City charging £27 for the big games when we were in the Premiershit, and I doubt the prices have come down much.

That, and there are a lot of clubs in the Premiershit who have stadium capacities far in excess of what their regular "hardcore" attendance is, or will ever be.
  • Options
    hmm these issues have been around for years though. I cant imagine ticket prices drastically going up since last season.
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    hmm these issues have been around for years though. I cant imagine ticket prices drastically going up since last season.

Me neither.

I can't remember exactly where I read this but haven't the Championship prices gone up slightly since last season?

Admittedly, the tickets are expensive...
  • Options
    In the championship the worst teams are the ones that have come down from the prem. Last season west ham were charging away fans almost £40
  • Options
    film_buff wrote:
    In the championship the worst teams are the ones that have come down from the prem. Last season west ham were charging away fans almost £40

That's quite alot considering that, me, my dad & uncle all went to a Plymouth Argyle home game last season which cost us just over £60 for the three of us...
  • Options
    West Ham were an exception. I think most teams in the championship usally charge about £20, which i think is reasonable
  • Options
    I heard that Crystal Palace are doing the same to away fans this season. I havent been so i cant be sure but that is what ive heard
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    West Ham were an exception. I think most teams in the championship usally charge about £20, which i think is reasonable

Yeah...

Is there any reason why on some occasions, some teams will let kids watch the game for a quid?
  • Options
    Is there any reason why on some occasions, some teams will let kids watch the game for a quid?

It fills the ground when the home game is against someone crap.

Better to have them in the ground, earning some money for the seat, and get them buying pies and programmes.
  • Options
    our tickets range from £18 - £24 on the day, some teams are still consistantly low, think we paid £16 for our ticket for preston this week coming, watford did us tickets for £10 this year too. Championship football is the best in the world in my eyes.
  • Options
    olaola wrote:

A lot of people can't be bothered with football these days. Atmospheres are usually placid, tickets are pricey and it's less of a social convention.
  • Options
    There was an article from on sunday paper about this subject comapring prices from different teams.

Price of one adult and one child ticket for next home game (excluding booking fees):
    Chelsea - £90
    Birmingham - £60.50
    Portsmouth - £52
    Everton - £46
    Bolton - £26
    Real Madrid - £28.60
    Crawley Town - £24
    Hereford - £22
    Juventus - £20.70
    Woking - £19
    Bayern Munich - £12.40
    Schalke - £9.30
  • Options
    How the hell do Birmingham get away with that!!!

They can't exactly claim to be offering great entertainment can they?

Really the Premiership is ridiculous, it will be good for the game if attendances collapse, it will force clubs to cut their prices and the drop in revenue will mean plyers pay will have to fall.

Football players are scum frankly, seeing a few of them forced to take paycuts would be nice..........
  • Options
    Fans should vote with their feet. The Premiership's becoming shitter week by week and hardly worth the prices fans pay but thats a topic for another time......
  • Options
    film_buff wrote:
    There was an article from on sunday paper about this subject comapring prices from different teams.

Price of one adult and one child ticket for next home game (excluding booking fees):
    Chelsea - £90

You're joking, right?
  • Options
    No joke, what i cant believe i how cheap Juventus, bayern and Real's ticket are in comparison. No wonder these european clubs fill out there stadiums.