Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

A-Levels...Universities...Rubbish!

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if someones taken the time to do 7 alevels or something silly they obviously dont have the right priorities, grades are extremely useful, however theres other factors to be taken into consideration, which even if they can be improved by training nothing can quite beat an informal interview :)
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    In fact, I think you've rather made the point about them. If these "very clever" people in fact were just that, they'd be able to write a good personal statement.

What makes you think that? :confused:

Intelligence doesn't equate to being a model citizen. In fact in my experience the opposite is usually true.

Your academic potential and achievement is effectively all that matters at university. A wonderful personal statement means sweet FA unless you're having to compete for Oxbridge and the likes with people holding the same grades.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No-one wants and Idiot-savant at their university, they want capable well-rounded people.

Why?

If you can explian to me something about the motivation of university admission tutors that I have missed then please do..............
    I heard that Oxford is very much about your socioeconomic class and about how ideosyncratic you are.

That's probably partly true at some of the older colleges although I think it's a pretty unfair generalisation. Being state school educated I might use it as an excuse if (or when) I get rejected but I think it's a bit of a myth. Private school students often perform better at the interview because they've been better prepared for it and a disproportionate number of private school students apply but that's about it.
    Private school students often perform better at the interview because they've been better prepared for it and a disproportionate number of private school students apply but that's about it.

Havent they also got quota's for places at some Oxbridge colleges as well, so a certain number from Eton always go?
    bongbudda wrote:
    Havent they also got quota's for places at some Oxbridge colleges as well, so a certain number from Eton always go?

No idea. I’d be very surprised if there’s some kind of quota that guarantees a certain number of places to people from Eton. I've never heard that, I guess some people might claim there's an unwritten quota but I doubt there would be a formal quota reserving so many places for Eton students. For most colleges I think grades, interview and personal statement are the only things that matter.