Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

do we get half terms or 'reading weeks' at uni?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
what type of courses tend to do them? does any one know if bristol/ manchester has them?

And finally, when?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    First. half term. No.

Second. Reading week, depends on your course and your uni. Typically english, psycology, drama etc type courses get them. not science, not maths, not engineering

Third. Grow up a bit, half term? really?
    yeah its called half term.....guess why?
    because its in half of the term!
    you need to de stress! no need to go off on one, just from one person saying half term!
    You're the one going off on one. Welcome to adulthood, half-term exists in schools because children need them.

Reading weeks exist in uni because students spend the entire week working without having lectures. Don't expect it to be a holiday, if you treat it like one, you'll fail.
    Im not expecting it to be a holiday at all, thats why I asked for reading weeks and half terms! I assumed not since the hols are long.
    Im doing history, and have just finished an a-level in it, I think I know how much reading is involved! considering uni consists of a few hours of lectures a week Im expecting to do alot of outside reading!
    wow, chill out.

Yes, I got reading weeks, although they were usually called assessment weeks and I had work due in that week. But yes, most people do treat them as a break, even if you are expected to do some reading/catch up on work. It doesn't mean you're going to fail, I certainly didn't.
    lol im quite a swot in some ways, I never leave revision/essays till last minute. So I could use it partly as a break once I get the work done. I dread failure and avoid it at all costs!
    half term/reading week..who cares, it's all time off.

yes, i get it but not all courses at my uni do.
    I was on a biology course and thus didn't get one, despite having far more lectures getting in the way of all the reading I was supposed to do but never had the time nor motivation for.

Arts students will claim that they have to do more work and reading in their free time than us sciency types, but as far as I can tell they're all work shy whinging drunkards.
    Only the shite universities have reading weeks.

I didn't have a reading week.

Arts subjects are a lot harder than adding up. Say this to the next physicist you meet.
    Whatever anyone says I firmly believe 90% of your time at uni is a total doss, its not real work and its not hard.

In answer to your question no, you dont get half terms.
    okey dokey!
    yeah its prob the lower down ones that do, maybe the students need more time. I dont know!
    Im going to manchester, so doubt they will do!
    there arent many career options with an art degree from what iv heard!
    billybob87 wrote:

He doesnt mean Art as in painting, he means Arts as in Bachelor of Arts, things like Business, History etc.
    billybob87 wrote:

Oh. My. God.

No wonder you're still calling it "half term".
    billybob87 wrote:
    okey dokey!
    yeah its prob the lower down ones that do, maybe the students need more time. I dont know!
    Im going to manchester, so doubt they will do!

I thought you were going to Manchester Met?

We got reading week, but they didn't synchronise them so we didn't get a week off, just no lecture/seminar for the module. They usually had them the week before the first essays were due, and for modules with exams we didn't get them.
    we got a reading week (leeds) but it was only one per semester, and the main reason was because it was the week where other students taught by our lecturers had exams (our course was 100% coursework), so they were too busy to teach us.
    Kermit wrote:
    Bit of a generalisation? I had reading weeks and I did my undergrad at the University of Glasgow (which is not shite, so don't even try and argue it...). If you treat it like a holiday though, you won't fail. You'll do a bit if reading the first few days, and spend the rest of the time sleeping in and gnerally doing not very much at all. Although if you're like some students these days you won't notice the difference much.
    yeah sorry silly mistake with arts!
    Yeah im going to manchester met, which is part of manchester uni now, they have joined together!
    Kermit wrote:

I didn't have a reading week.

Arts subjects are a lot harder than adding up. Say this to the next physicist you meet.

Durham has reading weeks for some courses.

In other news, you're a cock.
    ginner wrote:
    Durham has reading weeks for some courses.

In other news, you're a cock.

hehe that got him! yeah Iv heard the top 10 unis have them! Durham is certainly in the top 5!
    dum de dum de dum
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Don't expect it to be a holiday, if you treat it like one, you'll fail.

Considering the majority of people that have completed a degree say that a-levels are the hardest qualification to get, I dont think it will be that difficult to fail. Let's face it, most a-level students skive at some point!

Nice 'n' easy does it, every time!.....its in my head lol
    billybob87 wrote:
    Considering the majority of people that have completed a degree say that a-levels are the hardest qualification to get, I dont think it will be that difficult to fail. Let's face it, most a-level students skive at some point!

Nice 'n' easy does it, every time!.....its in my head lol

What people? And what rubbish, A-levels are not easy compared to a degree (at least one worth getting).
    Dr Erasmus, gotta PHD in history, he said if you can get passed a-level you'll be fine. And many other teachers, after all the 1st year is going over a-level stuff so that people who havent done an a-level in it can catch up and they start on the same level!
    On your first year maybe, but thats slightly different, the first year of any degree is a little light on work.

To say that A-levels are easier is rubbish though, you have to put in much more work and think at a higher level to get a degree.
    yeah, thats probably what they mean though. A-level you have to shove much more work in ,in 2years and your not just doin one subject. There is better standard of teaching at uni, well there should be anyway. Many lecturers have written books etc, so they should be excellent.
    bongbudda wrote:
    To say that A-levels are easier is rubbish though, you have to put in much more work and think at a higher level to get a degree.

I didnt say a-levels were easier
    billybob87 wrote:
    hehe that got him! yeah Iv heard the top 10 unis have them! Durham is certainly in the top 5!

It's also the university he, and I, went to.
    kool! I know some thats going this year! he's a genius!
    billybob87 wrote:
    yeah, thats probably what they mean though. A-level you have to shove much more work in ,in 2years and your not just doin one subject. There is better standard of teaching at uni, well there should be anyway. Many lecturers have written books etc, so they should be excellent.

The key difference between A-level and degree level is the amount of spoon feeding of information, assitance and frequent checking you get. At university you're expected to learn yourself, as the lecturers won't ensure everyone follows lectures and takes in the information, hand in your assignments, based on your own research of the topics not the taught content, and motivate yourself to achieve the desired standard. Your lecturers will let you fail.

Personally I found GCSEs, A-level and my degree a pile of piss. I think I probably worked hardest in Year 7 to get into the top sets for everything.