Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

pre 15 education

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this is what needs serious fixing

i say

- scrap national tests and league tables up to age of 14
- make clear the difference between arithmetic and mathematics, which are in fact quite different
- allow teachers more freedom to teach using methods that work for their individual pupils ie phonetics or whatnot, repetition etc etc
- introduce more languages in at a young age, when people are more ready to learn them in general, and more relevant ones so say spanish, german, russian, chinese, japanese(though this is actually a difficult language to learn since japanese schools only expect a child to be able to read a newspaper there by 14 :s)

what say you? people moan about lack of skills as people leave school well most of these kids should have learnt basic arithmetic and language skills by 14 anyway

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I say -

Teach kids to read and write, plus a decent standard of maths/arithmetic.

Show them where the library is.

Release them from their prisons at 13 at the latest.
    klintock wrote:
    I say -

Teach kids to read and write, plus a decent standard of maths/arithmetic.

Show them where the library is.

Release them from their prisons at 13 at the latest.

not slap them with an exploding neck collar that explodes at the thought of questioning a person of 'authority'
    in retrospect i think school was a sham, it stunted my personal and intellectual development, taught me nothing but subservience and dashed my confidence as i didn't 'fit in' or conform more like.......5 years on i've just about recovered i say......i think self-teaching is a much more effective method of learning and that's the way i was raised til 11, i was reading to a pretty advanced level by the age of 4, my maths and reading ability was way above other kids when i went to high school, at first i thought i was really bright.......it later dawned on me that the real purpose of school is to dumb you down......
    not slap them with an exploding neck collar that explodes at the thought of questioning a person of 'authority'

You must have been where i went. :D
    in retrospect i think school was a sham, it stunted my personal and intellectual development, taught me nothing but subservience and dashed my confidence as i didn't 'fit in' or conform more like.......5 years on i've just about recovered i say......i think self-teaching is a much more effective method of learning and that's the way i was raised til 11, i was reading to a pretty advanced level by the age of 4, my maths and reading ability was way above other kids when i went to high school, at first i thought i was really bright.......it later dawned on me that the real purpose of school is to dumb you down......

QFT. School = total waste of time beyond about 12.
    I am not entirely convinced of the worth of foreign language training, it would be nice of course but I am not sure how you can motivate kids and in the end it might just be a lot of wasted time and effort, if your not going to go all the way to a functional level then what was the point?

I started doing french when I was 8 all the wya through to 16, thats at least a couple of hours of every school week for 8 years that was effectively wasted because I can't speak or read or understand spoken french at any useful level.

Looking back I probably should have tried harder etc etc but back then I just didn't like it.......