Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

We're giving up the animal testing, can we have our mother-in-law back now?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    I'd rather a million monkeys died if it would keep my wife alive if she got ill. I don't think that's an unfair thing to say.
    I dont think thats the point really, because id rather any anonymous person died than someone I loved, let alone an anonymous rabbit.
    Still doesnt mean itd be ethically right to do it.

I wont change my views on this. Its not because I know nothing about it, or because I dont care about people. Its just the way I think. My husband has similar views to me on it, and so does most of my family.
    everyone has the right to protest, but what they did wasn't protest, it was criminal. and there are no excuses, ever.

i personally accept animal testing for medical purposes (NOT for cosmetics, etc) until there is a viable alternative. a necessary evil. i don't expect everyone to think the same way, but the length some people go to to protest horrifies me.
    Kermit wrote:
    I'd rather a million monkeys died if it would keep my wife alive if she got ill. I don't think that's an unfair thing to say.

Not that many monkeys are used at all, just 0.2% of the 2.75 million animals used in 2003 were Primates.
    As cute as a fluffy bunny?
    Yup and a lot smarter. Bunnies don't do much but sit around being gormless.
    Yup and a lot smarter. Bunnies don't do much but sit around being gormless.

Aren't pigs amoung the most intelligent of animals?
    bongbudda wrote:

They're definitely amongst the tastiest of animals...
    Pigs are smarter than dogs.
    Pigs are smarter than dogs.

Thats not saying a great deal, 99% of dogs are really thick.
    bongbudda wrote:

Have you ever looked a pig in the eyes? It's scary stuff.

I havent, but I do suspect my cat wants to eat me, he's forever trying to trip me up and he has that look in his eye.
    I have signed up to the pledge, on pledgebank, because I don't need an excuse to buy steak, but now I have an ethical reason to do so.
    bongbudda wrote:
    I havent, but I do suspect my cat wants to eat me, he's forever trying to trip me up and he has that look in his eye.

Pigs eyes look remarkably like human eyes. If you get close enough you can imagine your looking at another human.
    Pigs eyes look remarkably like human eyes. If you get close enough you can imagine your looking at another human.

Yes, hmmm, to you maybe. The rest of us dont spend our time gazing lovingly into pig eyes.

Yeah, especially if its it during a slow dance.

:nervous:
    Don't we breed, slaughter and eat more animals than we test on??

Would they deny themselves nearly every medication as most was tested on animals... no they won't.

They are vicious, mindless and hypocritical thugs. Who is macabre enough to dig up an dead old biddy? They seriously need their heads looking at.
    Panthro wrote:
    Don't we breed, slaughter and eat more animals than we test on?.

Many millions more yes, though they dont attack supermarket shoppers do they, or pest control people.

Cute animals are worth saving, ordinary ones are not.
    More to the point it is small and relatively defenceless people who are to be picked on.

As I said my girlfriend works at a guinea pig breeding place but where she works is a big operation, lots of security and safety measures, big compound, lots of employees, lots of money.

They wouldn't have the balls to try anything on them so they go for the realtively undefended family business, cowards...........
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Just like ANY bullies, at all.

I think they should be shot. This is after all, nothing less than terrorising a family so as to achieve your own aims. It is small scale terrorism.
    Dumb animals lives are next to worthless compared to human life.
    A lot of scientific discoveries and new medicines are the direct result of animal testing, an awful lot of people maybe even some of these animal liberationist family members wouldn't be around today without the animal testing.

Having said that, there are a great many tests now which could be perfermed in a much more reliable fashion on tissiue samples and many tests on cosmetyics which arn't really needed.

The authorites have been far too laid back about the issue of the Animal Liberation groups upto now, and many decent hardworking people have suffered, been abused and lost there jobs as a direct result of these illegal actions.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Just like ANY bullies, at all.

I think they should be shot. This is after all, nothing less than terrorising a family so as to achieve your own aims. It is small scale terrorism.

Totally agree, what they have done is sick and why did they do it for guine pigs - disgraceful.

I cant stand these sort of people, the thing is they think that they are doing a great thing in the interest of the world but they dont care if they harm a human being in the process just as long as they help an animal. I got into an arguement with some guy in my city centre because he wanted to get me to sign some petition. I got into a debate with him and i seriously thought that he was going to hit me because i totally disagreed with me, these people seriously have a higher repect of an animals life than a humans life.
    Boozy wrote:
    Having said that, there are a great many tests now which could be perfermed in a much more reliable fashion on tissiue samples and many tests on cosmetics which arn't really needed.

Definately, but when you get a licence to do animal testing you have to show you can not use any other method and many animal tests are in conjunction with tishue testing.

And cosmetic testing is to be or is now banned within the EU.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Definately, but when you get a licence to do animal testing you have to show you can not use any other method and many animal tests are in conjunction with tishue testing.
    Lots of people fake it though, I think (or so I have read somewhere...somewhere relatively reliable). Although I love that rule. Much as I agree that it is better to have something tested on an animal than humans dying, I'd rather it be prevented if possible.

The only two (good) arguments I can think of for against medical testing on animals are that there could be other methods of doing the same thing, and the Thalidomide argument (oh how I love the Thalidomide argument ;p).
    bongbudda wrote:
    And cosmetic testing is to be or is now banned within the EU.
    Damn. Fucking. Straight.

On another note: it bothers me that if you type "animal testing" into Google, it comes up with thousands apon thousands of "Against Animal Testing" websites. Much as some of them are relatively good, when you're trying to do a presentation showing two sides of the argument, it's incredibly unhelpful and frustrating. I found one article in the first 4/5 pages that gave me the information I wanted, and even that wasn't enough. None of them were pro-testing, it was just that one website that showed the other side of the argument. I believe it was the BBC, actually.
    Whether the anti-testing lobby admit to it or not the UK does have tight controls and the government has put in quite a lot of money to see it works as well as it can. We have a big industry of this in the UK and it does mean a big influx of knowledge and money.

But if we continue with this level of attacks there are several other countries who would love to take it on instead. South Korea already is the World leader in some genetic research and we all know the Korean attitude to animal welfare isnt quite what it is here.